Work experience part of applications

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hey guys,

I'm new here but I've been watching the threads for quite a while, trying to gather what tips and tricks I can for applications. Whilst I am yet to land a TC, the tips have certainly got me closer!

There is, however, one thing I haven't seen much on here, and I was hoping you would be able to help me. I always have a hard time debating whether or not I should personally tailor the 'work experience' section of an application form. This is usually a spot where the firms ask us to list our work experience, how long we did it for etc. I tend to give a generic, copied answer for this section just because it isn't a part specific to the firm.

My generic answer does highlight the key skills I have learnt that make me a good trainee. For example, commercial awareness, attention to detail, commercial experience, working in a team etc. However, I don't specifically say this makes me a good trainee because the word limit is often very limited (150 words typically.)

So that leaves me with two questions really:

•Do you really emphasise why your experience makes you a good trainee? Giving a point, an example from your place of work, and explaining why? Or do you simply leave it descriptive and open to interpretation, whilst highlighting the skills you have learnt?

•Do you tailor your work experience section to the individual firm? Personally, I don't because I find it hard to tailor when there is no specific question being asked.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys do!

Reactions: EEE and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys,

I'm new here but I've been watching the threads for quite a while, trying to gather what tips and tricks I can for applications. Whilst I am yet to land a TC, the tips have certainly got me closer!

There is, however, one thing I haven't seen much on here, and I was hoping you would be able to help me. I always have a hard time debating whether or not I should personally tailor the 'work experience' section of an application form. This is usually a spot where the firms ask us to list our work experience, how long we did it for etc. I tend to give a generic, copied answer for this section just because it isn't a part specific to the firm.

My generic answer does highlight the key skills I have learnt that make me a good trainee. For example, commercial awareness, attention to detail, commercial experience, working in a team etc. However, I don't specifically say this makes me a good trainee because the word limit is often very limited (150 words typically.)

•Do you really emphasise why your experience makes you a good trainee? Giving a point, an example from your place of work, and explaining why? Or do you simply leave it descriptive and open to interpretation, whilst highlighting the skills you have learnt?

•Do you tailor your work experience section to the individual firm? Personally, I don't because I find it hard to tailor when there is no specific question being asked.

Hi there and thank you for such great questions! I am so glad to hear you are progressing in your apps!

I have a document with my work experience sections written which tend to highlight what I did in a role whilst linking this back to trainee skills, just as you suggest. I try to be quite specific with this and try to develop this too - so when I talk about emotional intelligence as being important in one of my roles I state how this is crucial in a lawyer when you are serving a client and also for when it comes to being a good colleague too. I also use specific examples,, such as when I had some journalism experience and I did a full edit of an article without being asked to prove my enthusiasm, to then talk about how enthusiasm is essential in a trainee in terms of bolstering team morale etc. I hope that makes sense but I basically started with a word document with a long long list of skills and desirabilities in a trainee and ensured I got everything into my work experience sections by being as specific as possible.

I do cater my work experience sections to law firms because it gives you more opportunity to demonstrate your research and your suitability!

Really hope this makes sense and is helpful and feel free to ask any further questions, I am happy to answer them :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys,

Unless the work experience asks you to detail why it makes you a good trainee, you don’t need to go into this detail. You should focus on explaining what you achieved/learnt in that work experience. I wouldn’t expect 95% of it to be tailored, but the same changes in language can help tailor it to something more appropriate for the firm you are applying for.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So is it desirable to take advantage of the full, say, 250 word limit? Should it be a paragraph or in bullet point form? Thank you!

You don’t have to use all 250 words - use your discretion to work out how much detail you provide and it’s relevance considering your wider application form.

Unless the firm states a preference, it doesn’t really matter if it is in a paragraph or bullet points, as long as it’s easy to read.

Reactions: EEE

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Hi all

I think this is the most appropriate thread for my question.

I am in the process of filling out the work experience section on an application. The firm asks for work experience (two different roles) and reasons for leaving. For the first experience, I put down my most recent position as a paralegal. For the second experience, am I right in including my most recent PAID role at an organisation prior to being a paralegal? I ask this because my experience includes being a self-employed piano tutor (2019), a placement at a law firm (2018) and a general assistant (2017).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all

I think this is the most appropriate thread for my question.

I am in the process of filling out the work experience section on an application. The firm asks for work experience (two different roles) and reasons for leaving. For the first experience, I put down my most recent position as a paralegal. For the second experience, am I right in including my most recent PAID role at an organisation prior to being a paralegal? I ask this because my experience includes being a self-employed piano tutor (2019), a placement at a law firm (2018) and a general assistant (2017).

I'd choose whatever you think demostrates the best collective range and weight of skills. If it isn't being explicit in saying your most recent experience, it is up to you which you choose. There is no reference to it needing to be paid either, so really up to you.

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Sorry @Jessica Booker one last question... as the firm specifically asks for the name of the organisation I worked for... would I still be able to talk about being a self-employed piano tutor? If so, could I just put "self-employed" under that part?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry @Jessica Booker one last question... as the firm specifically asks for the name of the organisation I worked for... would I still be able to talk about being a self-employed piano tutor? If so, could I just put "self-employed" under that part?

Yes - self-employment still counts. Put your company name and then reference you were self employed.

e.g.

Star Potential - April 2014 to present (self employed)

Reactions: Keren

Wajahat Jilani

Star Member
    Jun 15, 2020
    For the Jones Day application, there is a 75 word limit for each work experience. So far I have been explaining what I did in the role, along with the skills I developed.

I am debating whether to mention one or two things I did only and the skills developed or focus on what I have done and let them draw out the skills. What would be your suggestion?

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Hi,

Not sure if this is a daft question but when you do the work experience section do you do it chronologically based on the date you started the work or the date you finished the work?

For example, I worked as a student ambassador from January 2017 to July 2020. Should this be one of the things near the top of section because I finished it recently or the end because I started it 3 years ago?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi,

Not sure if this is a daft question but when you do the work experience section do you do it chronologically based on the date you started the work or the date you finished the work?

For example, I worked as a student ambassador from January 2017 to July 2020. Should this be one of the things near the top of section because I finished it recently or the end because I started it 3 years ago?

Backdated (most recent experience first) with the end date being the part you prioritise (eg an experience you are still doing would be ahead of something you had completed, even if you started them both at the same time).

Luciana_Alioto

Nov 22, 2021
    Hello everyone, thanks for the very useful tips! How would you approach talking about two similar work experiences? I have two instances where I worked as a waitress, how would you describe the jobs without repeating yourself?
    Have a nice day!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello everyone, thanks for the very useful tips! How would you approach talking about two similar work experiences? I have two instances where I worked as a waitress, how would you describe the jobs without repeating yourself?
    Have a nice day!
    I'd say that you should focus on two totally different aspects in both the work experience entries. For example, in one work experience entry, you could talk about how you regularly worked with your colleagues as part of the team to arrange something that was was mostly out of stock. In the other work experience entry where you worked as a waitress again, try and talk about how your cafe/restaurant only catered to children (maybe an ice cream parlour) and how you had to be patient while taking orders, repeating it numerous times because the children just won't listen etc. In the first one, you developed your teamwork skills while in the other experience you developed your oral communication. I could be wrong here but that is how I'd go about it. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Have a nice day!
    I don't think you really have to explain the responsibilities of a waitress - its going to be obvious to your reader. I would just focus on your achievements within the role or any additional responsibilities you were given (e.g. additional responsibilities: cashing tills, training new staff, locking up / achievements: how many hours a week you worked if balanced with other commitments, employee awards, bonus/tip payments, promotions).

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
    Oct 4, 2021
    Hi! I was struggling with a few aspects of approaching the work experience section - It would be very helpful if someone could help me with it. :)

While approaching a legal internship, is it more appropriate/alright to explain your work involved, and derive/emphasis more on the skills learnt in one particular long term assignment; or talk about multiple assignments you handled during that internship? For example, if my internship involved in working extensively on one long-term transaction for 2 weeks; and a few other shorter assignments, is it okay if I focus more on properly explaining what my work entailed in the long term assignment; or should I also ensure that I set aside some word count for the other tasks that I handled?

The long term assignment in most cases requires a deeper understanding of a matter; while the short term assignments I'm referring to are tasks such as proofreading agreements, research propositions, etc. Due to this, I thought of explaining the particular long term (high value transaction) assignment and the work involved more closely, and choosing to leave out the smaller tasks. Is it okay to just focus on one most-important assignment in the internship and devote the entire word count to that?

If it helps - I have multiple work experiences and could include other small-term yet important tasks like proofreading, researching, collating lists etc. in the other work experience entries that I fill out.

Thank you so much! :)

Last edited:

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi! I was struggling with a few aspects of approaching the work experience section - It would be very helpful if someone could help me with it. :)

While approaching a legal internship, is it more appropriate/alright to explain your work involved, and derive/emphasis more on the skills learnt in one particular long term assignment; or talk about multiple assignments you handled during that internship? For example, if my internship involved in working extensively on one long-term transaction for 2 weeks; and a few other shorter assignments, is it okay if I focus more on properly explaining what my work entailed in the long term assignment; or should I also ensure that I set aside some word count for the other tasks that I handled?

The long term assignment in most cases requires a deeper understanding of a matter; while the short term assignments I'm referring to are tasks such as proofreading agreements, research propositions, etc. Due to this, I thought of explaining the particular long term (high value transaction) assignment and the work involved more closely, and choosing to leave out the smaller tasks. Is it okay to just focus on one most-important assignment in the internship and devote the entire word count to that?

If it helps - I have multiple work experiences and could include other small-term yet important tasks like proofreading, researching, collating lists etc. in the other work experience entries that I fill out.

If the big assignment really is that much more substantial and impressive than the other assignments then I think what you are suggesting is a great idea! Little assignments can add up to ultimately take a lot of time, however, and so if you think that there is a risk of the person reading your application wondering whether the big assignment alone is enough to explain your entire work experience, you may want to add a sentence or two at the end saying that you were frequently involved with additional proofreading and research tasks for a range of other assignments alongside this big assignment. I think it never hurts to mention everything you did, but do feel free to make the emphasis of this work experience entry about the big transaction :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Personally, I would ensure you cover a range of the work you did. You don’t need to cover the skills developed in your work experience section. You could just include a brief sentence or two that summarises the smaller tasks (in a similar way to how you have in this post though) and still have most of the word count to cover the substantial task.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.