Written exercise format, especially letters and emails!

• Thread starter Deleted member 19327
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19327

Hi, I think it's quite likely that I will need to write an email or letter in an AC. Are there resources about the formatting? Details such as: (1) always use "Dear Ms/Mr X"? (2) do we need to greet them? such as "Good morning" "I hope you're doing well"? (3) how to end the email? "Please let me know should you have any further questions?" (4) "Best regards"? "Yours sincerely"? "Yours faithfully"? (5) should the subject always be a noun?
These are the issues I can think of but welcome to add more!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I think it's quite likely that I will need to write an email or letter in an AC. Are there resources about the formatting? Details such as: (1) always use "Dear Ms/Mr X"? (2) do we need to greet them? such as "Good morning" "I hope you're doing well"? (3) how to end the email? "Please let me know should you have any further questions?" (4) "Best regards"? "Yours sincerely"? "Yours faithfully"? (5) should the subject always be a noun?
These are the issues I can think of but welcome to add more!!
I personally wouldn't worry too much about these types of detail - it really isn't what a written assessment is assessing.

You can find certain formats of templates on websites like this to give you an idea of how to structure a letter or an email

FREE 12+ Legal Memo Examples & Samples in PDF | Google Docs | Word | Pages | Examples
15+ Legal Letter Templates - PDF, DOC | Free & Premium Templates

When it comes to formalities it really depends how well you know the person. You would be more formal with someone you don't know (e.g. Dear Mr Bloggs) but less formal with someone you do know, like a colleague (Hi Joe).

Yours sincerely is if you know the name of who you are addressing a letter to/yours faithfully if you don't know their name.

So really depends on your audience and you will need to think about that quite carefully when writing the content too as well.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.