Written Exercises

Bananana

May 11, 2021
Hi, I’ve done a few assessment days this cycle and been unsuccessful from all and the general feedback is that I’ve fallen down on the written exercise as I haven’t been analytical enough. Does anyone have any advice or examples of written case studies as I’m struggling to improve.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi, I’ve done a few assessment days this cycle and been unsuccessful from all and the general feedback is that I’ve fallen down on the written exercise as I haven’t been analytical enough. Does anyone have any advice or examples of written case studies as I’m struggling to improve.
Hey there!

My colleague @Jacob Miller wrote an incredible piece on law firm case studies you can find here https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....firm-case-studies-monday-article-series.3232/

It is great you are looking to improve and the written case studies can be incredibly tough! Let me know if you have any questions/follow ups after reading the article. You can just tag me in this thread here by typing '@AliceG'. I hope this helps!!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I've been given this same feedback before! I think analytical is a hard word to understand (or at least it was for me!) because it doesn't actually tell you about the substance the firm is looking for and so really doesn't give you much to go off of.

What I've taken it to mean since that initial feedback is: you can pick out the main issues, you can think about the effects these issues will have on the client, and most importantly you can offer solutions or come to a decision on the client's behalf. Don't just offer the advantages/disadvantages of the outcome, but balance both and provide an answer (because that's what clients come to lawyers for)

The way you present your answer is also important. The most important issues should come first and ideally you're grouping issues that are interrelated together. This again involves that "analysis" element because you have to think about how sometimes very separate issues are related and why they should be addressed together.

Something I always recommend to people struggling with analysis specifically is to try out some consulting case studies (loads of free ones online!). The scenarios are incredibly sparse (and imo slightly less straightforward than law firm case studies) which forces you to analyse the information given from different angles a lot more. It also prepares you really well for the law firms that don't use strictly legal case studies.

Jacob's article has much more detailed advice and examples, but I hope this helps anyway!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.