X

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Congratulations on 2 TC offers! That's amazing!

I might be providing elemental advice here, but if I were in your position, I would pick CC for 3 reasons:
  • the earlier start date (given your eagerness to start earlier)
  • the more consistent Tier-1 rankings (particularly for projects/energy)
  • the larger network of offices to go onto international secondments for
As you might be aware, Clifford Chance has the most Tier-1 rankings of all firms in London in the Legal 500. For projects/energy, the Legal 500 seems to rank Ashurst & CC equally:

1642976313522.png

1642976332890.png

1642976351793.png

On the other hand, Chambers ranks CC Band-1 for projects, whereas Ashurst is Band-3:

1642976267061.png

Again, these are just a few factors to consider. More importantly other factors such as culture and fit are paramount. But these are just my 2 cents.

Congrats once again on the 2 offers!!

• ℹ️
Reactions: l0133 and George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi,

I am delighted to have received two TC offers at Clifford Chance and Ashurst. Firstly, I am aware that I am very lucky to be in a position of having two offers! However, I would really appreciate any advice on deciding between the two. I have made a pros and cons list, and am finding it difficult to choose.

The CC offer starts in August 2023, however, Ashurst is March 2024. As a graduate/having completed the PGDL, I am keen to start. CC is accelerated LPC and Ashurst is the year-long LPC. I really enjoyed the Winter VS at Ashurst, however, I am aware that CC is also a fantastic opportunity.

I am very interested in Energy/Projects and both firms are fantastic. I also would like to go on an international secondment.

Differences include Canary Wharf vs City office locations, 40 vs 100 person intake and perhaps the culture?

I would be really grateful for any advice on this!

Thank you in advance :)
Hi @I0133,

Congratulations for receiving two training contract offers. I am sure that you know already, but this is a serious achievement which you should be extremely proud of 🙌

@danieljonesqb has provided some fantastic advice here so far too.

As someone who faced a similar choice, I wanted to ask how your experience of the two firms compares? Did you do a vacation scheme with both firms? If so, was one a more positive experience? If CC was a direct training contract application, did you like the people that interviewed you? It might be worth asking GR if they can introduce you to a trainee to discuss their experience (which I am sure they would be more than happy to do!).

Also, in terms of your later start date at Ashurst, have you told GR that you have received another training contract offer with an earlier start date? If this is a major reason for you choosing CC over them, they might be able to do something (i.e., offer you an earlier start date).

It is always worth asking in my opinion so you are making a choice with all the available information!

Reactions: l0133 and djqb

l0133

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 14, 2020
Congratulations on 2 TC offers! That's amazing!

I might be providing elemental advice here, but if I were in your position, I would pick CC for 3 reasons:
  • the earlier start date (given your eagerness to start earlier)
  • the more consistent Tier-1 rankings (particularly for projects/energy)
  • the larger network of offices to go onto international secondments for
As you might be aware, Clifford Chance has the most Tier-1 rankings of all firms in London in the Legal 500. For projects/energy, the Legal 500 seems to rank Ashurst & CC equally:

View attachment 3802

View attachment 3803

View attachment 3804

On the other hand, Chambers ranks CC Band-1 for projects, whereas Ashurst is Band-3:

View attachment 3801

Again, these are just a few factors to consider. More importantly other factors such as culture and fit are paramount. But these are just my 2 cents.

Congrats once again on the 2 offers!!
Hi Daniel, thank you very much for this! Agreed re the rankings. Appreciate your insight :)

Reactions: djqb

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi George, thanks so much for your message! Really appreciate it.

I did a Winter VS at Ashurst in December but made a direct TC app to CC. I really enjoyed the Ashurst VS and found that everyone was incredibly friendly and it was a great office to work in. I enjoyed both interviews and found that the CC interviewers asked tough questions, but it made for some good debate and I enjoyed being challenged on various topics.

I am a little concerned about the 60% pass mark and accelerated LPC that I would have to make/do with CC and so that is something that has been a factor to my decision-making process, along with the fact that I haven't had first-hand experience at the firm, other than arranging calls with various trainees and partners.

I spoke to Ashurst GR and I will find out tomorrow whether I would be able to start in September 2023. Finding it hard to make a decision as both have their pros. Realise however that I am in a very fortunate position!

Thanks again for any further advice :)
Hi @I0133,

You are very welcome 😊.

It is a privileged position to be in, but that doesn't make it any easier! It is right that you are seeking advice on making the correct decision. I spoke with multiple people before ultimately choosing HSF.

I am glad to hear that you have spoken with people at both firms. That is definitely the right thing to do.

Based on what you have said so far, your biggest reservation seems to be the 60% requirement (in addition to not actually having spent time at CC). Personally, I do not think that this should factor into your decision-making.

I can only speak from my experience and approach, but when I was choosing between W&C (also requires 60%) and other firms (one of which required me to do the accelerated LPC), this did not factor in my choice (at all). Granted, the requirement to get 60% would have been stressful and would likely have increased the pressure around exams. However, in the grand scheme of things, this added pressure was worth being at the right firm for me.

Anecdotally speaking, from my experience of a term doing the PGDL at BPP, I do not think, with adequate revision, this is something to stress over.

My focus was on deciding which firm would provide me with the greatest opportunity to develop and grow as a trainee. Where you train can fundamentally alter your professional development (albeit both firms in this case will provide you with a fantastic training) and arguably your career trajectory. Personally I think it would be a mistake to base such a big decision on a criterion which is stressful, but ultimately achievable, instead of on a more permanent/fundamental difference.

I hope that helps!

Please do let me know what the Ashurst GR tell you about start dates too. I am very happy to continue having this conversation if you find it helpful.

l0133

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 14, 2020
Hi @I0133,

You are very welcome 😊.

It is a privileged position to be in, but that doesn't make it any easier! It is right that you are seeking advice on making the correct decision. I spoke with multiple people before ultimately choosing HSF.

I am glad to hear that you have spoken with people at both firms. That is definitely the right thing to do.

Based on what you have said so far, your biggest reservation seems to be the 60% requirement (in addition to not actually having spent time at CC). Personally, I do not think that this should factor into your decision-making.

I can only speak from my experience and approach, but when I was choosing between W&C (also requires 60%) and other firms (one of which required me to do the accelerated LPC), this did not factor in my choice (at all). Granted, the requirement to get 60% would have been stressful and would likely have increased the pressure around exams. However, in the grand scheme of things, this added pressure was worth being at the right firm for me.

Anecdotally speaking, from my experience of a term doing the PGDL at BPP, I do not think, with adequate revision, this is something to stress over.

My focus was on deciding which firm would provide me with the greatest opportunity to develop and grow as a trainee. Where you train can fundamentally alter your professional development (albeit both firms in this case will provide you with a fantastic training) and arguably your career trajectory. Personally I think it would be a mistake to base such a big decision on a criterion which is stressful, but ultimately achievable, instead of on a more permanent/fundamental difference.

I hope that helps!

Please do let me know what the Ashurst GR tell you about start dates too. I am very happy to continue having this conversation if you find it helpful.
Hi George, thanks so much for this advice! I have pm'ed you - hope this is ok.

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.