Full Disclosure:

How to Read the Financial Times

By Jaysen Sutton

šŸ“© Sign up here to receive a new edition of 'Full Disclosure' directly into your inbox, every week.

Hi Reader šŸ‘‹šŸ½,

As an aspiring lawyer, many people recommend reading the Financial Times. But how do you actually read it?

Here is what I would do:

Open the Financial Times. Scroll down.

1. Pick one business news story with a headline that interests you. Donā€™t worry about the relevance to law firms; you want to build your genuine interest in the financial markets, and you wonā€™t know what you find interesting until you notice the topics you naturally gravitate towards. This will be useful in an interview when you are asked the question, ā€˜Tell me about a news story that interests youā€™.

2. Pick one business news story that looks like a big deal. A big deal is a story that has a global impact or doesnā€™t feel like a one-off update. Right now, this is often related to inflation and interest rates, the transition to net zero, or a big business story like OpenAI.
For example, let me open up the FT now.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 16.41.45.png

These stories interest me because Iā€™m sitting in a WeWork right now wondering how long this place is going to be open for (the company filed for bankruptcy in the US). I also enjoy reading about technology drama in Silicon Valley.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 16.41.57.png

Meanwhile, this story would be my big read. It's a headline story that links to the role of geopolitical tensions and international sanctions on the commercial world.

Now, there are several stories I could have chosen. In the long term, it doesn't matter the exact stories you read week-after-week. It's just important that you are consistent.

Have any thoughts? I'd love to hear your perspective below!

ā“Contact [email protected] with any queries.