TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Does anyone know how VIs are assessed? Like if you had one or two shaky answers and the rest are ok would this affect your chances?
Varies lots by firm and the structure of the VI. Have heard of people flubbing a couple questions and getting through, while others who felt the whole thing was sterling get rejections. I'm currently 2 weeks into limbo on a VI with one catastrophic answer and one where I think i acquitted myself quite nicely, no idea how that will shake out.

Unfortunately the mind of grad rec is not ours to know, so I wouldn't get too wound up about this

avaelle42

Star Member
Dec 15, 2021
It can be specific to the interviewer if you know something about their practice area e.g. for me, the partner was in a newly established practice area so I asked what it was like building the practice from scratch. But don't ask about their practice for the sake of it, and always be prepared to give your input if they ever turn the question round to you!

It can be about training - a question I often ask is what qualities they value in trainees.

It can be about the firm e.g. where do you see the firm in 5-10 years?

Common ones other people ask are what is your favourite thing about the firm, what motivates you to get up everyday and come to work at the firm?

Just a few ideas, hope it helps :)
thank you this is so helpful!

Beluga

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jan 31, 2021
Had my sullcrom interview yesterday - it was very informal and super friendly. It was basically having several normal conversations, so if anyone has it coming up, I wouldn’t stress too much- just be confident and go with the casual style. However, for both of my partner interviews (30minutes each), I probably only spoke for a total of 5-10minutes max since both of the partners had a lot of (interesting!) things to say, and I had to really work to get any comments in, so I’m not overly confident on what impression they have of me 😅😅😅
Hahaha that sounds quite a bit like my Davis Polk interview a couple cycles back. I’ve got my SullCrom in a few days so thanks for this account!!

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell and Rob93

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    In an interview, how would you answer 'why law?' differently to 'why commercial law?' ?

I personally think it's the same
    Not entirely - someone saying “I want to be a lawyer because I want to help people” will make sense when interviewing at a high street firm but will probably lead to some head scratches at a big corporate firm. They’re related in that working in law requires certain skills and involves processes which will interest you, but “why commercial law” specifically speaks to why you’re interested in pursuing law at the corporate/commercial level.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Not entirely - someone saying “I want to be a lawyer because I want to help people” will make sense when interviewing at a high street firm but will probably lead to some head scratches at a big corporate firm. They’re related in that working in law requires certain skills and involves processes which will interest you, but “why commercial law” specifically speaks to why you’re interested in pursuing law at the corporate/commercial level.
    but even in commercial law u can still help people through pro bono as well

IJ6238

Feb 17, 2021
    In an interview, how would you answer 'why law?' differently to 'why commercial law?' ?
    I think why law is your interest in law holistically so for example why did you initially think about doing law and why it interests you. Why commercial law is why you want to work at a commercial firm rather than go down another legal route such as barrister or why you want to work with companies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I would answer this 99% the same way, except that in 'why commercial law' you might choose to discuss why you're doing this instead of, say, criminal practice whereas if it's just 'why law' the comparison point would be 'why [commercial] law rather than some other business function'

This is quite nitpicky though and may well have no bearing on your answer. I don't think it's strictly necessary to dicuss 'why not [x]' in either case, unless your CV shows significant involvement in/exposure to something else and/or you think it's a useful way to frame your motivations for commercial law

If you're interviewing for a commercial firm, you can probably take it as read that you're talking about commercial law

Reactions: Adrian_S and GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    yes but I think what they were trying to say is that at the end of the day, commercial lawyers are intedning to make money for a business by working with clients. Pro-bono is only a small part of the role of a commercial lawyer n
    even though if it's small, it is still a part of the job that you get to join a group you are genuinely interested in. basically there is a way of linking a why commercial law answer easily into a why law answer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.