TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    but even in commercial law u can still help people through pro bono as well
    True, but it won’t be your main line of work as a trainee. Saying “I’m passionate about the pro bono work X firm has done for Y community” is great but it doesn’t stand on its own when a firm is known for, say, its PE or M&A work. That doesn’t mean you need to go in advocating for your favorite Dirty Money episode, but you should have a good understanding of who your clients will mostly be.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    even though if it's small, it is still a part of the job that you get to join a group you are genuinely interested in. basically there is a way of linking a why commercial law answer easily into a why law answer.
    I would really only discuss pro bono in a 'why this firm' where you can zero in something the firm does as part of its pro bono activities, why that interests you/align with your values. Even then it should be a minor part of the answer - not an afterthought, but not the main thrust

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I would really only discuss pro bono in a 'why this firm' where you can zero in something the firm does as part of its pro bono activities, why that interests you/align with your values. Even then it should be a minor part of the answer - not an afterthought, but not the main thrust
    of course! but some firms have a pro bono secondment now which is interesting

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if you first came to law to do good, even if the question asked is 'why law' the question you need to answer rapidly becomes 'why commercial law'

This is maybe a bit different at a firm with a big public administrative practice like Mishcon where you could wax poetic about the Miller case but I'd still be cautious.

In all seriousness, if you came to law to do good why are you now looking for employment as a hired gun for big corporates? The answer cannot be 'because it's where the money is' (even if that is true). Maybe you think, well, lawyers are in a privileged position to keep corporations honest and accountable. Maybe you think, well, a bunch of economists say dealmaking is good for efficiency, creates value, that's good for society, and I want to use my particular skills and knowledge to contribute to that.

Mind, don't say those things if you don't believe them - you have to at least somewhat buy into the premise. It's perfectly fine imo to say 'well, I was drawn by public interest considerations but realised that that's not where my skillset really lies and I think I'd be better suited to a commercial career, and do a bit of pro bono on the side, I got really interested in business law because etc. etc.'

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    True, but it won’t be your main line of work as a trainee. Saying “I’m passionate about the pro bono work X firm has done for Y community” is great but it doesn’t stand on its own when a firm is known for, say, its PE or M&A work. That doesn’t mean you need to go in advocating for your favorite Dirty Money episode, but you should have a good understanding of who your clients will mostly be.
    of course! but some firms have a pro bono secondment now which is interesting

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if you first came to law to do good, even if the question asked is 'why law' the question you need to answer rapidly becomes 'why commercial law'

This is maybe a bit different at a firm with a big public administrative practice like Mishcon where you could wax poetic about the Miller case but I'd still be cautious.

In all seriousness, if you came to law to do good why are you now looking for employment as a hired gun for big corporates? The answer cannot be 'because it's where the money is' (even if that is true). Maybe you think, well, lawyers are in a privileged position to keep corporations honest and accountable. Maybe you think, well, a bunch of economists say dealmaking is good for efficiency, creates value, that's good for society, and I want to use my particular skills and knowledge to contribute to that.

Mind, don't say those things if you don't believe them - you have to at least somewhat buy into the premise. It's perfectly fine imo to say 'well, I was drawn by public interest considerations but realised that that's not where my skillset really lies and I think I'd be better suited to a commercial career, and do a bit of pro bono on the side, I got really interested in business law because etc. etc.'
    Completely agree commercial law is part of law at the end of the day and they will both have a very similar answer especially if you are interviewing at a commercial law firm!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Wasn't sure where to ask this, but I am curious how much (salaried) partners at firms like CMS and DLA Piper make? Firms that offer £85k - £95k NQ roles. Does anyone know where I can gather such information.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Wasn't sure where to ask this, but I am curious how much (salaried) partners at firms like CMS and DLA Piper make? Firms that offer £85k - £95k NQ roles. Does anyone know where I can gather such information.
    The measure you’re looking for is called PPEP = profit per equity partner. Should be relatively easy to find with a quick Google/search of legal news outlets.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I can't say for sure but I'd reckon anywhere from ~£180-250k assuming 10-15% salary increases annually for 6-7 years from qualification, maybe a bit higher if there's a bigger bump on attaining NEP. All this before bonuses which would probably be quite substantial

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.