Career Ambitions

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey everyone,

I have encountered the question "what are your career ambitions" on an application. I have already explained about my desire to become a partner and also to have an international career but I'm finding it hard to elaborate when I'm not sure what practice area I want to go into.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to focus on if you're unsure about which area of law you want to go into? Also, if you have some experience in one area would it be worthwhile stating I'd like to explore it further?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey everyone,

I have encountered the question "what are your career ambitions" on an application. I have already explained about my desire to become a partner and also to have an international career but I'm finding it hard to elaborate when I'm not sure what practice area I want to go into.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to focus on if you're unsure about which area of law you want to go into? Also, if you have some experience in one area would it be worthwhile stating I'd like to explore it further?

Maybe go beyond the typical career structure.
Would you desire to help the firm with its global strategy? Do you want to help the grad rec team bring through the next generation of lawyers? Do you hope to found a new network or affinity group at the firm and what would that be? Do you hope to be on a board of some sort outside the firm? Do you hope to be a mentor to someone? After a fruitful career in a law firm would you like to go in-house after you’ve enjoyed years of being a partner? Would you consider being a lecturer or even a guest lecturer at one stage in your career?

These are a few things I thought of but I’m sure someone else could suggest more too :)

Perhaps explore LinkedIn or look at firm websites to see what other lawyers have accomplished and this can give you a better idea too

• 🏆
Reactions: AJ, Naomi, Nellie and 3 others

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.