TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
I am slightly confused about this Shoosmiths app question;

'The covid-19 pandemic has accelerated change to our ways of working and client expectations. How can Shoosmiths remain competitive and attractive to clients, and differentiate from our competitors?'

Is the question asking about things they could implement in the future or that they have already implemented and that differentiate them from other firms?

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    Hey guys! For anyone who has done the CC AC, I was wondering how long do you think we are expected to write for the written exercise? I remember grad rec saying "don't write too much but you need to write enough so it's not too brief"... Did you guys aim for a page or maybe half a page? Not too sure what to expect!

I'd say if you feel like you've done what is required of you, then there is no reason to belabour the point. Ofc, I could be wrong but that is my pov.

Reactions: APPLE619

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I'd say if you feel like you've done what is required of you, then there is no reason to belabour the point. Ofc, I could be wrong but that is my pov.
    Honestly, i don't think you will be able to write too much. I haven't done the AC yet - but if they give you a few pages of reading and a letter/memo/brief/ email to write in half an hour - that is literally no time. I guess the key thing is to make sure you finish the task rather than focusing on the length

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Does anyone know how many people Hogan Lovell recruit from direct training contract applications I want to know if it is worth applying for their direct TC application.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hey guys! For anyone who has done the CC AC, I was wondering how long do you think we are expected to write for the written exercise? I remember grad rec saying "don't write too much but you need to write enough so it's not too brief"... Did you guys aim for a page or maybe half a page? Not too sure what to expect!

This is totally up to your own discretion. They definitely don't want pages so it's up to you on how to structure the written exercise. It's difficult to put an exact word count/page length because certain case studies may be more complex than others (and so may require more content or have more points that may affect the client) than others.

Either way, keep asking yourself: (1) is it relevant to the task given? (i.e. if the task is for a real estate client, is the content you're writing applicable to them/do they need to be aware of this or is it more applicable to a banking client) (2) are you being succinct/to the point? (3) is the format of your written document easy to read and easy to digest.

Good luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and APPLE619

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Freshfields AC! My first ever so I’m rly anxious. I feel like I have insufficient commercial knowledge and that it would be an issue esp in the analytical interview 😓 Any advice/resources on how I can brush up on everything, including the basics (bc what are counted as the commercial basics that I must know?)? The AC is in two weeks time.

APPLE619

Star Member
    Dec 6, 2021
    This is totally up to your own discretion. They definitely don't want pages so it's up to you on how to structure the written exercise. It's difficult to put an exact word count/page length because certain case studies may be more complex than others (and so may require more content or have more points that may affect the client) than others.

Either way, keep asking yourself: (1) is it relevant to the task given? (i.e. if the task is for a real estate client, is the content you're writing applicable to them/do they need to be aware of this or is it more applicable to a banking client) (2) are you being succinct/to the point? (3) is the format of your written document easy to read and easy to digest.

Good luck!
    Hey, thank you so much! This is really helpful :) - Appreciate it

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    anyone know if dla piper just wait until the end to hand out pfos? my portal hasnt been updated since end of dec and beginning of this month I emailed grad rec to check on the status of my app to which they responded apps are still being reviewed etc etc. but my portal still hasnt changed (ie last updated was dec) and i dont want to double email grad rec - any thoughts appreciated !

Last edited:

corinium

Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 27, 2021
    anyone know if dla piper just wait until the end to hand out pfos? my portal hasnt been updated since end of dec and beginning of this month I emailed grad rec to check on the status of my app to which they responded apps are still being reviewed etc etc. but my portal still hasnt changed (ie last updated was dec) and i dont want to double email grad rec - any thoughts appreciated !
    I had a PFO from DLA quite some time ago now, so by the looks of things you are still under consideration :)

Reactions: OB

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I would also add, a training contract is your opportunity to understand if this is the career for you. One of my friends after his training contract has made the decision to become a well paid civil servant.
    As a civil servant myself, there are so many people who switch from things like IB or consulting to the civil service so it’s definitely an option!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.