Vacation Scheme Diaries

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Everybody,

Following my previous post, (which I have copied below) please would you like this post if you would be interested in this idea and comment if you would be prepared to do a write-up for us :) Thank you all in advance!

"We are thinking of creating a new online space for people to document their vacation scheme experiences on the platform. Similar to the interview insights to a degree, I felt it would be useful for people to diarise their experiences on the forum. Taking notes on what you do each day on a vacation scheme is useful for you as the participant for your final interviews when you will typically be asked what you've done, and I think it will be invaluable for those who have not yet undertaken a VS to see what life as a trainee really looks like. We don't need specifics (and nor should you provide them because of confidentiality etc) but just a decent outline of what you got up to each day in your seats including any socials/talks etc. I will devise a template we can all use and these can absolutely be submitted anonymously to myself or Jaysen if you prefer. There will also be a reward for those who provide the best and most detailed summaries. I just think it would be great to provide the community with even more insight into the inner workings of law firms :)

Thank you so much everyone and hope you're all having a great week!"

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just seen this, I am also happy to do a write up. I start HFW's Spring scheme in just over a week!!
Fantastic! I will have a template ready which I shall post into this thread by Sunday evening if that’s ok with everyone? Again, there’s absolutely no time pressure on this at all! I know I will probably need a couple of days respite after the scheme :) :)

Thank you to every one of you again!! :)

Reactions: R97 and Tom L

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I fully appreciate that some may not have done their vac schemes yet and others may have only just finished. I would be most grateful for any VS insights that may be available soon, particularly as direct TC applications are underway for many candidates. Thank you in advance for any experiences you are willing to share.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I fully appreciate that some may not have done their vac schemes yet and others may have only just finished. I would be most grateful for any VS insights that may be available soon, particularly as direct TC applications are underway for many candidates. Thank you in advance for any experiences you are willing to share.
Hi Helena,
I have been catching up with my full time work since my scheme as I had a few bits to sort out. I shall be compiling the template tomorrow and I shall begin posting as and when people have the time to fill these out. Sorry for the delay and I take entire responsibility for this of course.

Thank you to you all for your continued patience and shall get things underway as soon as poss.

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Where was your scheme and for how long for?

What was your first week seat?

And your second week seat?

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

First week roundup and reflections:

Day 6:

Day 7:

Day 8:

Day 9:

Day 10:

Second week roundup and reflections:

What were the most significant and pertinent things you learnt on your scheme?

What did you enjoy the most about your scheme and the firm?

Were there any drawbacks at all?

Rating out of 5:

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Above is my template for anyone willing to offer their feedback. Please just send these to me and I shall post them anonymously for you guys :)

With the day inputs just bullet points will do fantastically and don’t reference anything too specific. Maybe just put research task on such and such but don’t write anything too sensitive just for your own sake even though these will be confidential :)

If anyone has anything else to add please do feel free this is a very tough and basic guideline. Also- You do not need to write drawbacks if you don’t wish to- I understand people might be worried about this. It’s just there if anyone thinks there is anything to note and they would like to at all :) it might even be that you personally found it a drawback I.e too small of an intake and this is fine- these things are all matters of opinion.

If anyone has further suggestions for subheadings they would like us to consider in the write ups then please please do let us know- I want this to be as useful as possible for everyone on the platform :) thank you again to all who are willing to contribute, I really appreciate your help and support with this :)

Reactions: Helena

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.