TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
I find it soo sad that some firms don't even have the decency to send a rejection email....I just found out I was rejected from A&O post-SJT after I logged on to their portal just to check the status of my application - like come on I feel like I at least deserve an official rejection email 😂 😂 😂
Did it end up in your spam or junk inbox? A&O always send out rejection emails, even post SJT, so could be there's just a delay on their end.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about the rejection - hope you're hanging in there.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Did it end up in your spam or junk inbox? A&O always send out rejection emails, even post SJT, so could be there's just a delay on their end.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about the rejection - hope you're hanging in there.
    Lol the rejection itself I am neutral about but it was more about me not receiving the email (it says on the platform I was rejected over a week ago). Andd i check my emails (including the junk) multiple times in the day - as I am sure we all do on this platform 😂 😂 😂 . I just found it weird ...

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Why is everyone on here living in fear? All I read is "should I be worried", "why haven't I heard yet", "I guess I've been rejected" etc. You all need to chill out, do your best and the rest will work itself out. Stop comparing yourself with others.
    While I agree with your sentiment, it's probably healthier for people to let some their insecurities and fears out in a supportive and safe environment. The reality of the situation is that it's a stressful, long and pretty brutal application process - being in a forum where others can sympathise & relate lightens the load. I think everyone has their own ways of coping with stress - in the end, of course, doing your best is the only thing you can do as you say.

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    While I agree with your sentiment, it's probably healthier for people to let some their insecurities and fears out in a supportive and safe environment. The reality of the situation is that it's a stressful, long and pretty brutal application process - being in a forum where others can sympathise & relate lightens the load. I think everyone has their own ways of coping with stress - in the end, of course, doing your best is the only thing you can do as you say.
    I completely agree with you as well! But I just want to add that people should be careful with how they word things when they are trying to relieve that stress. Saying things like 'patiently waiting for the mass PFO's' isn't particularly helpful for those who haven't heard back yet and are still feeling hopeful. But I do agree this forum is a great place to let it out because everybody can relate.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I completely agree with you as well! But I just want to add that people should be careful with how they word things when they are trying to relieve that stress. Saying things like 'patiently waiting for the mass PFO's' isn't particularly helpful for those who haven't heard back yet and are still feeling hopeful. But I do agree this forum is a great place to let it out because everybody can relate.
    Can I just take this opportunity to really thank the entire TCLA team and @Jaysen for creating this forum! Because i honestly would be 1000% lost and would have felt completely alone in this process had it not been for TCLA!!! I have been able to speak with and contact soo many wonderful people from this forum that I know I would not have been acquainted with had I not been part of this community!...so yh truly thank you! 🥲👏👏

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Lol the rejection itself I am neutral about but it was more about me not receiving the email (it says on the platform I was rejected over a week ago). Andd i check my emails (including the junk) multiple times in the day - as I am sure we all do on this platform 😂 😂 😂 . I just found it weird ...
    Depending on the email address (especially uni emails) they can block it entirely that it doesn’t even go through to junk mail. I also see a lot of emails bounce back where inboxes are full.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Yes absolutely, completely agree - there are positive and negative ways to relieve stress and everyone does have to be mindful of how it may effect others!

Reactions: George Maxwell

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Why is everyone on here living in fear? All I read is "should I be worried", "why haven't I heard yet", "I guess I've been rejected" etc. You all need to chill out, do your best and the rest will work itself out. Stop comparing yourself with others.
    I desperately want to be a commercial solicitor, but given my academic ability I am finding it very hard to get passed the app stage, despite my outstanding applications, work experience, extra curriculars and commitment to the proffession. Like its stressful because for people like me, we may never get to enter the profession, therefore applications rlly are like a countdown.

• 🤝
    • Wow
    Reactions: Plato and h1

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    For this application question - Please explain why you want to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor and why you would like to practice at Dechert?

I am thinking of talking about why commercial law with why Dechert just wan to double-check if that is a good idea or just discuss why Dechert.
    Briefly speak about why you want to be a commercial solicitor then speak about why Dechert so I’d say 30/70 or 40/60

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.