TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
This is so kind of you thanks so much. I’m keeping my fingers crossed but unsure if my answers are what they’re looking for. At least I didn’t freeze/stumble over my words.
although my face was probably like a deer in headlights 😂
I'm sure you will be fine either way because you did the best you could- I once progressed in a VI where I finished my answer earlier than I anticipated and just kept staring at the camera for 10 seconds or so because I didn't know what else to say or how to end the VI 😅 There's always hope!

• 🤝
  • Haha
Reactions: Rob93 and Hele25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know for the HL app form if I could mention the HL Virtual Internship I did despite it not being an open day / event? :

"Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector. (250 words)"
I think it’s ok to include the virtual internships in questions like this.

Reactions: Rob93, JSM123 and GXA123

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For those who applied for Gibson wanted to ask at the end of the cover letter did you say something like I thank you for your time in reading my application and look forward to hearing back from you regarding my application. Should I include that at the end or not.

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    For those who applied for Gibson wanted to ask at the end of the cover letter did you say something like I thank you for your time in reading my application and look forward to hearing back from you regarding my application. Should I include that at the end or not.
    I usually end cover letters with 'I hope this finds you well and thank you for taking the time to read this.'

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    'Please sign off the letter with your candidate number rather than your name as Wedlake Bell operate an anonymous application review.' - Any idea where one can find their candidate number before sending off their application? Very confused.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Lawcareers.net states application to Graduate Recruitment

lhs444

Feb 1, 2021
    Hi, I did the V&E VI last year and got through to the final stage - my top tip would be just be your honest self, there are no technical questions being asked, I was asked things along the line of "how would your friends describe you". when I did it, it was a total of about 5 questions or maybe even less (I can't remember) its really more of a personality test more than anything

hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

goodluck!
    Thanks so much! For video interviews, do you have to loop back and talk about why (whatever my answer is e.g i'm a great team player) because of this I would be an asset to the firm and highlight facts about the firm? Or am I simply answering the question? Thanks so much in advance!

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    I always end my cover letters with "Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you." and then a sign off

Reactions: George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Does anybody know why some firms like Ropes & Gray don't have a section for work experience in their VS application form?
    Some don't want to have work experience in their initial screen, on the understanding that for students (the majority of applicants) assessing work experience will tend to reproduce generational advantages. It usually comes up later in the process.

Reactions: iolitelegal

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Some don't want to have work experience in their initial screen, on the understanding that for students (the majority of applicants) assessing work experience will tend to reproduce generational advantages. It usually comes up later in the process.
    Flipside of this ofc is that you could have good but not sterling grades, be from a working class background and have acquitted yourself well in the workforce and not be able to use this at first cut.

Kikelomo

Jan 25, 2022
    Thanks so much! For video interviews, do you have to loop back and talk about why (whatever my answer is e.g i'm a great team player) because of this I would be an asset to the firm and highlight facts about the firm? Or am I simply answering the question? Thanks so much in advance!
    I wouldn't necessarily say you have to make it a long answer, mostly because the time given isn't a lot. I would say its valuable to always link back but I believe the real substance would stem from the delivery and following a structured approach. Usually, these interviews have a time limit of 2-3 minutes which is really not that much and you don't want to get cut off mid way

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Thank you for your consideration, I hope to have the opportunity to discuss this further at interview.

Yours Sincerely,

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.