TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImTheBoss

Aug 30, 2020
Quite literally understand the nervous feeling...
are there any tips apart from Aspiring Solicitors Head start scheme on how to prepare for a vacation scheme.
Feel slightly worried cause I have no idea what type of tasks I will be doing and how to sell myself
Lol I was sitting on the sofa with a beer and was like 'wow I don't believe it, i can relax' . Then my mum gave me this side eye glare:eek:, then I was like obsessively doing calculations from random data online to try and work out probabilities of getting a TC to try and relax again, and searching for my future horoscope on the Capricorn page again. lmao!!!!

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Lol I was sitting on the sofa with a beer and was like 'wow I don't believe it, i can relax' . Then my mum gave me this side eye glare:eek:, then I was like obsessively doing calculations from random data online to try and work out probabilities of getting a TC to try and relax again, and searching for my future horoscope on the Capricorn page again. lmao!!!!
    Same here!!! I thought i would be so relieved at the outcome of securing a VC, however as mine is not until the summer I feel like I have tooooo much time now to stress/panic prepare myself lmao. Nothing is guaranteed, but I really am hoping that if we've got to that VC stage the numbers should be in our favour

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi everyone! I have a VS offer and have been asked whether I want to do the easter or summer (longer) scheme. Would choosing the easter scheme be an advantage for obtaining a TC as they won't have offered any TCs yet, especially as they run quite a few summer schemes? @Jessica Booker do you have any insight on this? Thanks so much :)
    It really won’t work like that, so I wouldn’t worry which one you choose. They will purposely hold out offers for the summer too. Your chances will be the same for both schemes and based on your performance rather than when you did it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: mailer and Rob93

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Anyone have an idea of by what date all candidates will hear back post-VI from bakers? Seeing some people hear back and it’s making me nervous 😭
    If this is for summer VS then I am waiting to hear back post-WG which I took on Thursday and emailed them about my WG score but no news.

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    hey guys - I recently completed the SST for Kennedy’s and received an email with the feedback report but the email didn’t mention anything about whether I progressed onto the next stage - does this mean I’ve been rejected?
    It doesn't mean you've been rejected. Everyone gets that report roughly 2 days after the SST via email.

Reactions: ZS, GXA123 and Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I secured a vacation scheme finally, however am still not relaxed for some reason. Does anyone know the average TC offer rate from vac schemes.
    Endless haha
    Really depends with the firm and the ratio of their VS to TC places. Also depends how thorough the VS recruitment process has been - some firms do quite a light touch process while others mirror the entire TC recruitment process.

My offer rates were usually somewhere between 65-85% but that was for firms with many more TC places than VS, and was also knowing that only 70-80% of people would typically accept our offers.

Reactions: ImTheBoss

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Really depends with the firm and the ratio of their VS to TC places. Also depends how thorough the VS recruitment process has been - some firms do quite a light touch process while others mirror the entire TC recruitment process.

My offer rates were usually somewhere between 65-85% but that was for firms with many more TC places than VS, and was also knowing that only 70-80% of people would typically accept our offers.
    If a more than expected number of successful candidates reject a TC offer (meaning there are TC places to fill), do firms ever offer these to VS candidates they had previously rejected (maybe the top-performing ones)?

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hey guys, I need some advice because I'm not really sure what to do. I've been lucky in securing a fair few interviews this cycle but I've been unsuccessful after all of them. I think my commercial awareness is generally okay, and I don't think I do badly in researching the firms.

I think I fall short in answering the more casual questions (e.g. tell us about yourself) and maintaining a rapport with the interviewers. Basically, I'm not the most social, charming and confident person and I know that commercial law is a 'people' job. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to improve? Or any success stories of people who weren't that confident still securing TCs to give me a boost of confidence? I'm losing hope but I really am determined to secure a TC in commercial law. Thanks in advance
    To me, some of this sounds like dealing with your expectations of yourself, and some of it sounds like getting comfortable with your story. My suggestions won't necessarily change things overnight but if this is something you know needs working on, then there are many roads to Rome.

I don't think any of us are the most social, charming and confident people we know - but we can be some of those things some of the time and all of them in optimal circumstances. Agreeing with previous advice, attending events is really good for forcing you to participate. For instance, "Let's Chat Law" have a negotiation workshop next week; F-Lex runs a monthly lunch with LexisNexis; Idin (Little Law) does a Saturday study club, etc etc. The challenge of introducing yourself in the breakout room is one that keeps regenerating, but it does get easier and you learn to smile rather than apologising, which really changes the dynamic. You can also force yourself to ask questions at online events so you get used to it (you will soon find what works!). You might also try a drama or improvisation class.

I also wonder if you've done any volunteering - either pro bono or, eg with children or groups at weekends? This is a great way to put yourself into a frame of mind where you need to communicate and chit chat should be part of the way it unfolds. Children are hilariously unguarded in what they ask you and nothing keeps them quiet if they really want to tell you something. You might enjoy another sort of volunteering - about something you care about, either with people your own age or significantly older or younger. Your university or local authority might be able to help you to find something. If you can place yourself in situations where the agenda doesn't matter in the same way, you might be more relaxed about the outcome.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a more than expected number of successful candidates reject a TC offer (meaning there are TC places to fill), do firms ever offer these to VS candidates they had previously rejected (maybe the top-performing ones)?
    Possibly, but it is not always the case.

With many people who are unsuccessful in converting to TCs, it will be because either the firm doesn't think they are right for the firm or they haven't met the necessary standards. Many firms will also just offer more people via the direct training contract application route.

However, some firms will operate a "hold list" system for those who impressed on a vacation scheme but were just beaten to the offers by stronger candidates. However, firms will usually tell you that you are on this form of hold list. They then go to the hold list and offer more people if there has been a higher than expected renege or decline rate of the offers they have already made.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: SS1, Miki3999 and Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.