TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a random thought but, has anyone done the Travers Smith winter scheme and can confirm you literally get paid £750 for a week?
More generally, does anyone have any thoughts on why the massive discrepancy between TS and the usual £450 that firms pay per week of vacation scheme?
Their website states they pay this, so I don't see how/why they would be able to pay less.

Maybe they see it that the £750 covers the short term costs associated with a short placement. However, £750 a week is £39k per annum too, so would still be significantly below a starting salary for a trainee, so maybe they just see it as being an appropriate payment.

To be honest, I have never really understood why law firms pay interns so poorly. It was something I really battled against at various firms I worked for.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021

FK7991

Jun 21, 2021
Fieldfisher AC!! If anyone who has already done it has any tips I would be so grateful.

Case studies tend to let me down so just wondering what the best way to prep and come to terms with them would be?

Timeline in case it helps: applied for the London 2023 TC a couple of days after apps opened, invited to online assessment 13 Dec, invited to TI 15 Jan, TI 31 Jan, invited to AC today. When booking mine (mid-March) there was also a second AC at the end of April so hope this reassures those who are waiting to hear!

Last edited:

Beluga

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jan 31, 2021
Could anyone refer me to any links that set out good structures to follow when having to complete a written exercise in an AC that is based on a summary to a client.
Thank you so much.
So I tried to do this exact thing as preparation one of my ACs and ended up having to scrap it completely because it was completely different from what I was given on the day (despite preparing based on testimonials of previous ACs at the same firm). While the formalities might be the same, the content might actually differ wildly (even in different AC dates or cycles for the same firm). You might be able to come up with structures for specific kinds of requests (e.g. summarising the benefits and downsides of specific acquisition targets / summarising the opportunities and risks of a single target for the client's business), and making them is good practice, but it seemed that predicting written exercises in such a way was quite difficult.

Not sure if anyone has any different opinions? This is based only on my personal experiences.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Just a random thought but, has anyone done the Travers Smith winter scheme and can confirm you literally get paid £750 for a week?
More generally, does anyone have any thoughts on why the massive discrepancy between TS and the usual £450 that firms pay per week of vacation scheme?
Last year I did a vac scheme was meant to get paid £175 but never got paid 😂

amzey2

Star Member
Jan 16, 2022
Can someone please explain what a "de-SPAC" deal/how this differs to a "SPAC" deal?
A SPAC is the shell company initially formed without any operations that is to be taken public through an IPO. The SPAC will then merge with a private company, in so doing bringing it public. The merger is known as a de-SPAC merger. Practically however, a “SPAC deal” will be used interchangeably to mean anything such as the initial formation of the SPAC, the IPO of the SPAC, the ultimate de-SPAC merger or even the PIPE financing included within the de-SPAC merger.

SK16

• Nov 16, 2021
    This may be a silly question but I've never done a virtual AC before... If we have to do a case study, technology-wise how does that work? 😅 As in do they put up a document and we can take notes in Word/on paper?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Nicole15

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    This may be a silly question but I've never done a virtual AC before... If we have to do a case study, technology-wise how does that work? 😅 As in do they put up a document and we can take notes in Word/on paper?
    Some firms may have their own system or intranet where documents are. I was able to use Microsoft word alongside to take notes etc if needed

Reactions: SK16

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    AC today and covid has made me feel very very tired ✨ All I’m hoping for is to get through the day 🙏🏼
    Good luck! Sending you lots of positive energy :) Let us know how it goes and give yourself some credit for staying motivated and committed to the AC despite the circumstances. That's incredible resilience!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.