TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

selfcarequeenzzz1

I think it’s purposefully broad and vague. I read it as a property development or construction/planning project that is or has happened recently. The Battersea Power Station development springs to mind.

I’d go about it like this: first, have a think about what interests you. This could be anything from your hobbies to particular law firm practice areas you’re interested in. Starting here is important as they want to know why it interests you - this is what helps you stand out from the crowd. ➡️ With an idea of what interests you, see what’s happening in London in connection to that. For example, maybe you’re interested in renewable energy, and there’s a construction project in London designed to install X amount of EV charging points by the end of 2022. ➡️ With an idea in mind, you can now explain why it interests you. Maybe you did a course on renewable energy and liked how it combined new technology and problem solving ➡️ then tie your question into how the firm can assist. I remember WBD has a strong energy sector focus, so there’s lots of knowledge they can support with on a project around clean energy. For example, construction, development, planning advice.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this advice!

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 5, 2020
Hi @lawful_neutral216,

I want to start by saying how sorry I am to hear that you have found yourself in this position. Rejection is incredibly painful, especially in the later stages of a firm's application process.

I was rejected from three vacation schemes in the space of three months and every single one was brutal. Spending an entire application cycle building up to those schemes, with confidence that I would be able to convert at least one of them, meant that I just felt completely hopeless when I realised that I had failed to do so. The latter two post-vac scheme rejections came on the same day no less!! I moped around for about 24 hours before I sat down and started looking at upcoming direct TC deadlines.

The day after I received both of those two rejections, I sent off an app that ended up in a TC offer less than a month later. The day after that I sent off another app that ended up in another TC offer! This was all in July right at the end of my first cycle. The learning process of getting ACs and vac schemes and subsequently being rejected from them was invaluable in ultimately getting me to a firm that I love. I also got a genuinely interesting and varied perspective of the kind of work that City lawyers do, so I have no regrets about any of these experiences.

Take time to reflect and then realise that you have a huge amount of time remaining this cycle. I submitted a lot of direct Training Contract applications and that is how I received the offer for the firm I am going to. Of course it would be great to have a VS or TC offer at this stage, but I sincerely think that the more work one puts into researching and applying to firms now pays dividends in the long run. You do not necessarily want to default into the first firm that offered you an AC - it is great to have the opportunity to learn from that experience what areas of law you are interested in and which firms you should be looking at going forward.

It is an incredible feat that you got to two ACs in the first place, so congratulations!!! Do not worry about whether or not you prepared enough - I am sure you did everything you intended to with the right approach and intentions, but no-one is fully prepared for a law firm AC until they have done several previously. The real preparation required to ultimately obtain a Training Contract involves the lessons you learn from your unsuccessful ACs and how you take that insight into your future ACs. You will continue to develop confidence in your interview ability and you will find yourself in a pretty good position if you draw upon your resilience and keep moving forward :)

Does the fact that you are an international student worry you for visa purposes? I know that @AvniD has already given you a great response but she may be able to provide even more insight into this issue. Either way, I have every confidence that you will bounce back stronger than ever and obtain a Training Contract offer in this cycle :)
Hi @James Carrabino Thank you so much for your response, I truly appreciate it. I took the evening off yesterday just to give some time to myself to self-reflect and relax. Definitely feeling a lot more positive today and will try to focus on the remaining cycle, and start thinking about direct TCs.

Yes, being a final year international student worries me for visa purposes, since I have limited options to stay in the country and continue to apply but I have bookmarked some of @AvniD's posts on the topic and also refer to the International Students guide that has been put together by TCLA.

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 5, 2020
Rejection absolutely sucks, but you should be super proud of yourself - you DID give it your best and I can tell because it’s clear how much you care. that’s all you can ask and expect of yourself✨ also, doubly amazing that you’re going to be so proactive about your feedback - that’s what is going to bring you success!
Wish you the best of luck for any other applications & your dissertation, and don’t forget to take care of yourself!
Hi there @A.Diane01 Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. I took the evening off yesterday to relax and feeling better today. So grateful for all the support this community provides!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @James Carrabino Thank you so much for your response, I truly appreciate it. I took the evening off yesterday just to give some time to myself to self-reflect and relax. Definitely feeling a lot more positive today and will try to focus on the remaining cycle, and start thinking about direct TCs.

Yes, being a final year international student worries me for visa purposes, since I have limited options to stay in the country and continue to apply but I have bookmarked some of @AvniD's posts on the topic and also refer to the International Students guide that has been put together by TCLA.
If you have got the money to be able to cover the fees, look into the post-graduate visa which will give you two years to work in the UK after graduation.

Graduate visa - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

You wouldn't be able to apply for this to cover a TC anyway but you have to apply for it while you are still in the UK and on your student visa, so it is a great option if you want to stay in the UK and look for work.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I just wanted to say I really loved @Jaysen Linkedin post this morning and which was also included in the TCLA email subscription.

That post was really accurate on point about the different types of people who get into law. Everything in that post was spot on and 100% true as from a disadvantaged background I can relate so much to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.