TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone knows how much time Linklaters take to send the contract following the offer call. (TC)
Could be a couple of weeks. I know it is super urgent to you, but they won't necessarily see the immediate rush where you wont see need to sign up for the GDL/LPC/SQE for sometime yet.

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 5, 2020
If you have got the money to be able to cover the fees, look into the post-graduate visa which will give you two years to work in the UK after graduation.

Graduate visa - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

You wouldn't be able to apply for this to cover a TC anyway but you have to apply for it while you are still in the UK and on your student visa, so it is a great option if you want to stay in the UK and look for work.
Thank you Jessica! Yes, applying for the Graduate visa is one of my options- I graduate in May and my current student visa doesn't expire until September so I will have the summer months to apply for it if I decide to do so.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    You're supposed to be challenged, yes, but I don't know how I'd feel if everything I said was being treated as fodder for a debate. As @thirdtimelucky said, maybe the debate-style interview is a way to test whether you can stand your ground and hold your own. I presume that you've succeeded if you've been able to do that to some degree.

I hope the outcome of your AC is in your favour 🤞
    Thanks for your kind words! Yes I'm not sure really, I understand the need to be academically challenged and the need for rigour in thought.

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi all, I am a law grad / current paralegal and I am trying to get together a list of firms that look at candidates with paralegal experience/past careers favourably, and really value this experience. I know a lot of firm's tend to make it out they all feel this way, however I know this is simply not the same across all firms. If you have paralegal experience, are there any firms where you have got to interview/ AC stage, and felt that they valued this experience?

Reactions: James Carrabino

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Think I just messed up an interview, I was asked what I’m interested in that’s not academic/law related … and I said skin care. 😐 *I did say I like reading the scientific elements of everything and how it all works together but oh my goodness could I have picked a more vapid answer fmllll
    This answer is not messing up an interview.

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Think I just messed up an interview, I was asked what I’m interested in that’s not academic/law related … and I said skin care. 😐 *I did say I like reading the scientific elements of everything and how it all works together but oh my goodness could I have picked a more vapid answer fmllll
    This sounds fine, I think they just want to find out what you genuinely find interesting. There's no wrong or right answer imo

Reactions: Hele25 and TCG

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Anyone know what questions they ask in V&E VI? Any help is appreciated!
    The questions are not very technical and it wasn't a very stressful interview either because you have an unlimited time to read through the questions and can re-record as many times as you want. The questions I was asked were:

(redacted by moderator)

Probably won't help anyone in this cycle because I think the video interviews have closed now, but might help someone in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021
    Hi all, I am a law grad / current paralegal and I am trying to get together a list of firms that look at candidates with paralegal experience/past careers favourably, and really value this experience. I know a lot of firm's tend to make it out they all feel this way, however I know this is simply not the same across all firms. If you have paralegal experience, are there any firms where you have got to interview/ AC stage, and felt that they valued this experience?
    Macfarlanes really value paralegal experience/past careers from my experience. I'm not a paralegal but I am a career changer and that was valued at AC. Also, they have a paralegal development programme because they expect a lot of paralegals will be hoping to train as solicitors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.