TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
hi team, hoping for some advice / a pick me up.

just had a brutal post-VI rejection from my top choice law firm, and have an exam starting in an hour. does anyone have any tips on how to quickly sort my mindset out so i don't screw the exam?
Music really helps me! There’s also strong evidence that it can calm us and heighten positive emotions :)

Listen to something that makes you feel like the boss sauce that you are!

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022
    hi team, hoping for some advice / a pick me up.

just had a brutal post-VI rejection from my top choice law firm, and have an exam starting in an hour. does anyone have any tips on how to quickly sort my mindset out so i don't screw the exam?
    Very cheesy, but if you are the kind of person who has some go-to music... that could help when pressed for time? Found that it still works recently myself after not using it since my more athletic days - quickly pushes me into a more positive, "fighting" mood!

Edit: had not seen Adrian_S's reply when I posted. Looks like music is a strong contender.

ap28

Aug 12, 2021
    Before you start answering a question, think of the role you assumed in your team. Were you a listener, a leader, someone who challenged others to think of better solutions, someone who drew up a vision or was better at executing it etc.

Once you've understood the role you were in, move on to stating the context in which you were working in a team (group project at school/work, competition etc.) ➡️ explain your task and role ➡️ walk the reader through your process in executing your tasks (why you chose to do something, what worked and what didn't, what you didn't when something didn't work etc.)➡️ summarise both the outcome of your individual efforts and the overall outcome for the team.

I hope this helps!
    This is exactly the type of guidance I was looking for, thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but just to check: how do you know who a firm's competitors are? Is it simply common sense, i.e. looking at other firms who have a presence in the same areas / similar revenue / etc? Or is there more to it?
    It's actually more of a nuanced question than initially appears. I think the best way to approach it is by looking at rankings (in Legal 500, Chambers etc.) and use that to find how firms compete with each other in different practice areas.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Vacation Scheme Didn't Work Out? Things You Should Consider About Making Direct TC Applications

By no means is this intended to be exhaustive or applicable on a general basis, but with the application cycle shifting gears to direct TCs, I thought I'd make a post summarising some key points about them which our community may find beneficial.

If you do make a direct TC app this year, please do check out TCLA's dedicated thread for them here.
    • International student friendly as you don't need to deal with this stress of vacation scheme dates clashing with your term dates and potentially letting go of a great opportunity. With many ACs being online due to the pandemic, you also don't need to worry about travelling from wherever you've applied. Although if you do need to travel, firms do usually contribute to costs at least partially. It's not ideal always, but it's still better than them not contributing at all.

• Work experience is not necessary, although...having a good knowledge of 1) how law firms work, 2) the kind of legal solutions they regularly employ (especially in contracts and negotiations) and 3) how they fit into the retinue of service professionals that work on a deal is imperative. This is because firms will not have the opportunity to determine these aspects of your knowledge and experience as a candidate in a vacation scheme so it needs to be plainly apparent to them that you know your stuff. The easiest way to demonstrate this is through work experience, but that does not mean that work experience is the only way to do so. You just have to be creative about the extracurricular activities, internships and initiatives you choose to demonstrate this knowledge.

• Potential to start training early as unlike with vacation schemes that give students still in their degree a lead time of 2+ years, direct TCs offer a greater possibility to applicants of beginning their training in an earlier intake. You may also get outcomes for direct TC applications before vacation schemes conclude, which further contributes to you having a greater chance of 'getting ahead in the queue' in an earlier intake.

• Career-changer friendly as you won't have to take days off to participate in a vacation scheme or inform your employer about your interview so that they can undertake conflict checks. Your intention to shift careers can likely remain private till you receive your training contract.

• Limited number of firms and places as not all firms offer direct TC applications and those who do may not always have many places available, especially if they majorly recruit from vacation schemes. Be mindful of which firms you choose to make applications to (do they have a sizeable direct TC intake each year, do they have a strong focus on D&I etc.) and be selective about which firms meet your criteria before putting in the effort towards a direct TC app.

manchester12

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 18, 2021
    Just got offered a vacation scheme at addleshaw Goddard!!! I spent the whole weekend feeling seriously down about how badly I thought the interview had went, so it’s prove that you don’t always know, and you definitely can’t predict the outcome.

This forum has been incredible and I am so grateful for the messages of support, the courseS, mock interviews and advice. It’s so good to know your not alone on the journey.

now to try and convert it *sigh*

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.