TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Here’s what I had in my notes (although not the best response in an interview I think);
  1. Headline deals, high-profile clients, in an amalgam of different industries.I’m specifically interested in the corporate and finance work which arises from mega-deals because they can be industry-defining. Commercial city firms are also resilient during crises because stagnation in one practice may mean a boom in another.
    1. Hub for increasingly globalised UK market, which is opening itself up to international investment and ownership
  2. International work. I’m an international student myself, and have seen the role of cultural understanding when it comes to advising businesses. It’s not just about the market — e.g. Reckitt Benckiser (UK) needed a specific strategy when it came to dealing with investigations and claims in South Korea regarding the toxicity of its humidifier detergent.
Thank you so much! This is why I love this forum :)

• Love
  • 🤝
Reactions: Beluga and George Maxwell

mariistm

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2022
Hi marriistm,

I had this exact situation in my final year and was afraid of graduating with no job and nothing over the summer. For me I got some work at a start-up as a legal assistant. There are many many smaller start-ups out there in need of some legal talent — they likely won’t be able to pay very well so I an aware it’s not an option for everyone but it is an excellent way to get significant hands-on experience and lots of responsibility as well as insight into the specific industry and what it is like to run a business.

I was also able to reflect on this in my applications in interviews which I believe was crucial in getting VS and TC offers this year.

Someone mentioned this already but virtual internships are great for ramping up commercial knowledge as well — highly recommend!
I will look into that, thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

RachelLouise22

Distinguished Member
Jan 30, 2021
I will look into that, thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!
Totally recommended this, after finishing my cycle in my final year unsuccessful I secured a legal assistant role with one of my ‘top’ firms. Was so helpful in realising that firm really wasn’t for me and I’ve totally reassessed what I actually wanted out of a firm for a training contract

Reactions: mariistm
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.