TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos2000x

Feb 23, 2022
The GDL grade is not an issue, especially if it is one of your higher grades. It would only be if it looked like you purposely missed it off that it would be a problem (which is unlikely if it was a good grade).

The LPC resit might be a bigger issue. Were you explicitly asked in the application whether you have ever had to resit an exam, and if so did you disclose it then?
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for helping out here (and to George for pointing me in the right direction). Regarding the LPC re-sit, there was no section asking if I had re-sat an exam in the app, however, the transcripts I provided the firm prior to the assessment centre highlighted that it was passed at the second attempt.

During my phone call with graduate recruitment last week, they said it was not a problem and issued me said contract afterwards, but I am just worried that there may be issues during the background check. Specifically, I failed because of an external issue (which I explained to grad-rec) but, if the background check company flagged this and asked for proof, I have very little to provide as I discussed this with my university over the phone and they do not keep these things on file (according to them). Sorry for all the excess detail!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for helping out here (and to George for pointing me in the right direction). Regarding the LPC re-sit, there was no section asking if I had re-sat an exam in the app, however, the transcripts I provided the firm prior to the assessment centre highlighted that it was passed at the second attempt.

During my phone call with graduate recruitment last week, they said it was not a problem and issued me said contract afterwards, but I am just worried that there may be issues during the background check. Specifically, I failed because of an external issue (which I explained to grad-rec) but, if the background check company flagged this and asked for proof, I have very little to provide as I discussed this with my university over the phone and they do not keep these things on file (according to them). Sorry for all the excess detail!
It is the firm that makes the decision, not the reference check company. If you have had sign off from the firm, this won't be an issue.

• 🏆

U

Jan 31, 2022
can anyone remember if Irwin Mitchell made us choose which vacation scheme option dates we would prefer? Or is that something that is picked for us/ offered upon offer of the vac scheme?

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Those who have been successful at final stage interviews - roughly how much time did you spend prepping per day? And is one week ahead enough time to prepare fully? not that I have any other option lol
    I would say there is no right or wrong answer to how much you should prepare. You will always have those guys ready to succeed in interviews without really any revision and others (like me) who had to spend 2 weeks repeating responses to a mirror 6 hours a day till they get to a conversational level! I would just say, get to a point in your revision where you can hold firm against any bad cop partners asking you “but why not become a barrister???!” Or “why not apply to our competitor then?” In my experience an ability to respond well to those are what got me through interviews and accepted :)

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Can anyone who has done the Mishcon video interview give me any indication of whether they ask why are you interested in Mishcon during the vi? Honestly im at the point of this recruitment cycle where I just dont have time and energy for masses of prep anymore 😂

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Hi @summer207,

Absolutely, I am more than happy to help.

I actually covered this in my answer here! I think this might be the post you were talking about. Is there anything more about how I went about it that you would like to know?
    Hi @George Maxwell, thanks for this response. The link you included sent me to a random page in the vacation scheme discussion, I’m not sure if it’s an issue on my end 😅

My question was if you’ve been in a situation where you were offered a TC after completing a spring VS and had to ask the firm to extend your acceptance deadline to allow you complete a summer VS. If you did, how did you go about asking and was the firm understanding?

• 🤝

JSM123

Star Member
    Oct 11, 2021
    Does anybody how long Herbert Smith Freehills get back to you with either a rejection or acceptance after an AC ? I am assuming acceptance is the day of AC ( from what I'm reading - they call you a few hours after the AC). This means I have been rejected right?

I was rejected the next day but I did ask as I had another summer offer which I had to reply to. From the people I know it’s usually a call on the day if successful but I wouldn’t give up hope as there’s always chance partners haven’t had time to all feedback if there particularly busy etc

Best of luck!!

Deobicaratexol0804

Standard Member
    Feb 23, 2022
    I was rejected the next day but I did ask as I had another summer offer which I had to reply to. From the people I know it’s usually a call on the day if successful but I wouldn’t give up hope as there’s always chance partners haven’t had time to all feedback if there particularly busy etc

Best of luck!!
    I was hoping that I was wrong but I guess not :( ... I've heard of people getting rejected immediately after their AC at HSF ( although this was pre-covid) so I thought they would split the acceptance/rejections over 2 days. Ah well, I guess no VC for me this year

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Does anyone else feel like they hate studying their law degree? LOL. I think it's more of the degree format and the intensity of it perhaps that is getting to me but I can't help but wonder maybe its law in itself? It's made me hate learning and education.. the thought of doing a masters sort of disgusts me. Does anyone feel this way?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.