TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've done both of that but no responses all day. Thanks though! Just trying to ask for an update on my AC that was two weeks ago. They told us they would get back to us around this time and I'm not keen on doing taking up two spots on other ACs (tomorrow and Friday). All of these firms have the same VS dates (no other dates available).
That is frustrating - I suspect they haven't got an update for you which is why they are holding out coming back to you.

Reactions: xtinew

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    In my application, I often mention the current development of my start-up.
    However, everything is still at seed level and I am really struggling on how to bring my idea to the next level.
    Does anybody know how to get some mentorship or any kind help for struggling entrepreneurs?

Feel free to drop me a PM if you had any specific questions on this and I would be happy to help!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Those who have been successful at final stage interviews - roughly how much time did you spend prepping per day? And is one week ahead enough time to prepare fully? not that I have any other option lol
    Hey @letmeintolaw,

Congratulations for getting progressed to a final interview stage! This is fantastic news.

I think @Beluga and @Sfernan21 have provided you with some fantastic advice. Thank you both for putting aside so much time to help out the community! I would echo what they have said about a week being plenty of time.

In terms of the 'right' amount of time to spend preparing, I think this really depends on where you are in your interview preparation. I don't think that generic answers will help much here. I would suggest checking out this and this post, before considering how long each stage would take you, then dividing this by the number of days you have before your AC. That being said, I would definitely weight the content-heavy/information-gathering stages earlier on in your preparation (as it is never fun acquiring new knowledge right before you have to apply it!).

I would also not panic if you do not think that you can feel 100% prepared in all aspects of your preparation ahead of your interview. I never felt 100% comfortable. That being said, prioritise the areas that you feel are more important and balance this with prioritising those areas where you feel weakest.

I hope that helps!

Please do let me know if I can be of any further help 🚀

Would anyone know if the firms that have already completed their ACs have finalised their spring/summer vac scheme attendees list by now? I got placed on the reserve list for one firm and I'm wondering if there's no chance of getting a vac scheme spot now if they've already filled up their vac schemes
    Hey @commercialhoe-yer,

It is obviously impossible to tell. However, I would really advise against trying to pre-empt an answer/outcome at this stage (I do realise that this is easier said than done though). I know candidates who were offered vacation schemes very last minute due to cancellations (and this really does happen all the time as a result of prior TC acceptances etc.).

Fingers crossed you are called up. I hope you get the opportunity to show the firm that it was their mistake not to have invited you outright from the get-go 💪💪

New to the forum but would be grateful for some advice.

I recently accepted a TC with a city firm but, after going through my written app, I am getting a little bit worried over a couple things. In one instance I left out one of my GDL grades (it was actually one of my higher grades) off my application form. I did submit my transcript prior to the interview with the grade on there but I am not sure whether I should flag this or not.

Also, due to mitigating circumstances, I had to re-set a LPC exam (at the 2nd attempt). I briefly explained this to the firm during a call but am feeling anxious because my contract says I need to pass everything at the first attempt- will this be an issue during the background check? I would be extremely grateful for any advice/help here!
    Hey @carlos2000x,

Welcome to the forum! I am going to tag @Jessica Booker on this as I think she will be best-placed to advise you.

Wishing you all the best

Withdrawing from the recruitment process entirely. Do I just email and say I am no longer interested in the scheme? Is there a good way to put that?
    Hey @Tony Stark,

I think just letting the firm know that you are can no longer attend the scheme and therefore wish to withdraw would be appropriate. It is not a conversation to think too deeply about ultimately. Make sure that you remain polite, but equally remember that notifying the firm that you wish to withdraw your application is your predicament. You do not really even have to give an explanation, you could just politely ask that your application be withdrawn from the process.

I hope that helps :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    New to the forum but would be grateful for some advice.

I recently accepted a TC with a city firm but, after going through my written app, I am getting a little bit worried over a couple things. In one instance I left out one of my GDL grades (it was actually one of my higher grades) off my application form. I did submit my transcript prior to the interview with the grade on there but I am not sure whether I should flag this or not.

Also, due to mitigating circumstances, I had to re-set a LPC exam (at the 2nd attempt). I briefly explained this to the firm during a call but am feeling anxious because my contract says I need to pass everything at the first attempt- will this be an issue during the background check? I would be extremely grateful for any advice/help here!
    The GDL grade is not an issue, especially if it is one of your higher grades. It would only be if it looked like you purposely missed it off that it would be a problem (which is unlikely if it was a good grade).

The LPC resit might be a bigger issue. Were you explicitly asked in the application whether you have ever had to resit an exam, and if so did you disclose it then?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    This is quite an odd question to ask, but I have my wisdom tooth coming out, and I have an interview coming up soon. Should I mention this at the start of the interview?

My speech is just really slowed that's all otherwise I keep biting the inside of my mouth 😂😢😭
    I can recommend Corsodyl; it helped me a lot when I was having wisdom tooth issues - the swelling was gone in a day (this post is not sponsored)

legalgemma

Distinguished Member
    Jan 11, 2022
    Withdrawing from the recruitment process entirely. Do I just email and say I am no longer interested in the scheme? Is there a good way to put that?
    I had a similar experience and just withdrew on my online portal and then someone from grad rec rang me later in the day to ask whether it had been an accident. I told them that I had decided the firm wasn’t right for me but thank you for the consideration and they were really really supportive and kind about it and wished me luck in my other applications. I agree with whats been said don't overthink it at all! It'll also happen quite frequently so as long as you're professional about it it shouldn't be a worry

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Those who have been successful at final stage interviews - roughly how much time did you spend prepping per day? And is one week ahead enough time to prepare fully? not that I have any other option lol
    I'd say I spend no more than 2-4 hours in total preparing, so I feel a week is more than enough.
    Note: I would already have done some research on the firm when I was writing my application +usually would have collated some information from say, open days/speaking to current trainees/other events. I have this all in a word doc so I would just be refreshing my memory, fine-tuning my 'why the firm' answer, looking at recent news/developments, maybe go over some competencies etc. etc.

I probably have a very laid back approach to interviews though, I think whatever amount of prep makes you feel comfortable is sufficient.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD, S30, summer207 and 3 others
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.