TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray00313

Jan 9, 2022
APPLICATION DATES AND TIMELINE
Firm: PwC
Opportunity: Legal Summer Internship (London) 2022

23 Dec 2021 — applied and received automatic invite to Career Unlocked (Behavioural Based Assessment) by Arctic Shores
27 Dec 2021 — completed Arctic Shores Assessment (before deadline stipulated)
28 Dec 2021 — received Arctic Shores Assessment/Career Unlocked feedback report

04 Feb 2022 — received this video interview invite:
"Congratulations for passing the Behavioural Based Assessment and the screening stage: you are now one step closer to potentially receiving an offer! You are now going to be invited to the next stage of assessment which is called Career Conversation, otherwise known as the recorded video interview".​

12 Feb 2022 — completed HireVue VI (before deadline stipulated)
23 Feb 2022 — PFO
"I hope this email finds you well. This is an update on your application for the Legal Summer Internship with us. Though you have passed the Video Interview, you have unfortunately not met the benchmarks in order to progress to the next stage of assessment. It is therefore with regret that we confirm you will not be progress to the Career Focus Day and that your application is being declined".​

MY QUESTIONS — ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED :'(
I'm VERY confused by the PFO email and what they mean by the "benchmarks" that I have failed to meet — does this mean I failed certain aspects of the Arctic Shores assessment and therefore will not be progressed even though I did fine in the VI? If this is the case why did they tell me that I passed the behavioural based assessment when I was invited to VI? Or are they talking about some other "benchmarks" that we don't know about?

If I'm being rejected because I failed all/part of the Arctic Shores assessment, why did they even progress me to VI in the first place - is it because they want to give those who perhaps didn't do well in the initial assessment to prove themselves in the VI, and then review the application holistically (taking into account both VI and Arctic Shores performance) before deciding who gets to progress? If this is the case, why am I told that I "passed the video interview", but will not be progressed anyway? Could it be because I "passed the VI" but when reviewed together with my poor Arctic Shores performance, is still not good enough to progress compared to other candidates?

I'm just disheartened that I'm being told that I "passed the VI" but still will not be progressed, and not being told why. Would hate to think that I performed okay in the VI but am being rejected because I didn't do so well in Arctic Shores :( Also, I'm just generally really disappointed that I keep getting rejected from law firms because of psychometric tests when I have done relatively okay in other assessments e.g. application writing and VI. Is it worth emailing to ask what exactly is the "benchmark" they're referring to? I doubt they'll reply though, as they would just see this as another candidate asking for individual feedback, which they are unable to provide?
Arctic Shores now serve as a reason for some to refrain from applying to that firm.
Capp test arguably serves better the propose.

Reactions: LS_1998 and GXA123

carlos2000x

Feb 23, 2022
New to the forum but would be grateful for some advice.

I recently accepted a TC with a city firm but, after going through my written app, I am getting a little bit worried over a couple things. In one instance I left out one of my GDL grades (it was actually one of my higher grades) off my application form. I did submit my transcript prior to the interview with the grade on there but I am not sure whether I should flag this or not.

Also, due to mitigating circumstances, I had to re-set a LPC exam (at the 2nd attempt). I briefly explained this to the firm during a call but am feeling anxious because my contract says I need to pass everything at the first attempt- will this be an issue during the background check? I would be extremely grateful for any advice/help here!

Reactions: George Maxwell

wjlm25

Junior Lawyer
Dec 29, 2020
Do you reckon Freshfields are still screening apps? (direct TC) people have received WG and AC invites already but my portal was last updated on 7th Jan (day after deadline)? Trying to be hopeful here 😭
Same here - mine was updated 25th Jan - a few people on the direct tc forum received WG invites yesterday though so still a chance

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Withdrawing from the recruitment process entirely. Do I just email and say I am no longer interested in the scheme? Is there a good way to put that?
I just emailed with "i appreciate your consideration for a period of recognised training at FIRM, however I have accepted another offer (or reason, not that you have to say why!) and will be withdrawing from the recruitment process. Wishing you the best with your recruitment"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ringed three of Pinsents' GR members and got into voicemail for all of them throughout this morning and this afternoon. Looks like I'm going to have to attend my AC tomorrow and Friday
Are you trying to reschedule? I would email and ask someone to call you back or try to go via the firm's switchboard and explain to them you are keen to speak to someone today.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Am I the only one who completed the Akin Gump WG in November and never heard anything back (despite people in this forum receiving AC offers already?) I have so many questions about the way US firms handle their applications ... I never received a PFO or interview... nothing

Reactions: sami.rehman

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    I just emailed with "i appreciate your consideration for a period of recognised training at FIRM, however I have accepted another offer (or reason, not that you have to say why!) and will be withdrawing from the recruitment process. Wishing you the best with your recruitment"
    Thank you for this. I think I will go ahead and do that! The firm took 5 months to get back and I wrote them off only to be stunned with an invite today yet I had looked elsewhere already, unfortunately.

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Are you trying to reschedule? I would email and ask someone to call you back or try to go via the firm's switchboard and explain to them you are keen to speak to someone today.
    I've done both of that but no responses all day. Thanks though! Just trying to ask for an update on my AC that was two weeks ago. They told us they would get back to us around this time and I'm not keen on doing taking up two spots on other ACs (tomorrow and Friday). All of these firms have the same VS dates (no other dates available).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.