Firms you can apply to multiple times in the same recruitment cycle

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
@GXA123 raised an important question: are there any firms that you can apply to for a training contract in the same cycle that you've made an unsuccessful vacation scheme application? i hope the following list offers some help. take it with a heap of salt! will keep looking for better information, send some emails out, and update the list accordingly.

may the odds be ever in your favour!

Firms which do accept TC applications in the same cycle if your VS application was unsuccessful

NB: Some of these firms stress that, while a direct training contract route technically exists, you are unlikely to be successful unless there is substantial improvement to your more recent application.

Boodle Hatfield
Burges Salmon
Farrer & Co
Linklaters
Macfarlanes
Morgan Lewis
Norton Rose Fulbright
Slaughter & May
Sullivan & Cromwell
Travers Smith
White & Case
Withers

Firms which do not accept TC applications in the same cycle as an unsuccessful VS application

NB: For some of these firms, this is because they have no direct route to a training contract.

Addleshaw Goddard
Allen & Overy
Ashurst
Baker McKenzie
Bird & Bird
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
Clifford Chance
Clyde & Co
CMS
Covington & Burling
Davis Polk & Wardell
Dechert
DLA Piper
Eversheds Sutherland
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Gateley
Gowling WLG
Herbert Smith Freehills
Hogan Lovells
Irwin Mitchell
Latham & Watkins
Milbank
Mills & Reeve
Mishcon de Reya
Reed Smith
Ropes & Gray
Shearman & Sterling
Sidley Austin
Simmons & Simmons
Skadden
Stephenson Harwood
Taylor Wessing
Wilkie Farr & Gallagher

Last edited:

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    @GXA123 raised an important question: are there any firms that you can apply to for a training contract in the same cycle that you've made an unsuccessful vacation scheme application? i hope the following list offers some help. take it with a heap of salt! will keep looking for better information, send a bunch of emails out, and update the list accordingly

firms which do accept TC applications in the same cycle if your VS application was unsuccessful
    Boodle Hatfield
    Farrer & Co
    Linklaters
    Macfarlanes
    Norton Rose Fulbright
    Slaughter & May
    Travers Smith

firms which do not accept TC applications in the same cycle as an unsuccessful VS application
    Addleshaw Goddard
    Allen & Overy
    Baker McKenzie
    Bird & Bird
    Clyde & Co
    CMS
    Davis Polk & Wardell
    Dechert
    DLA Piper
    Gateley
    Gowling WLG
    Herbert Smith Freehills
    Hogan Lovells
    Irwin Mitchell
    Mishcon de Reya
    Reed Smith
    Ropes & Gray
    Shearman & Sterling
    Sidley Austin
    Stephenson Harwood

unclear for now [Will update accordingly]
    Dentons
    Vinson & Elkins
    Weil, Gotshal, & Manges
    Thank you so much for this, I will also keep adding to it. Mills & Reeve doesn't let u apply twice I emailed this morning!

Reactions: Adrian_S

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Hi, I had an update to this list. As per my last communication with Ashurst, they do not allow training contract applications in the same cycle as a VS application.

I'd asked them after an unsuccessful Vacation Scheme AC, so I'm not sure if it also holds true for applications unsuccessful at the initial stage, but I think the firm policy would be similar for both.

Reactions: Adrian_S and GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hi, I had an update to this list. As per my last communication with Ashurst, they do not allow training contract applications in the same cycle as a VS application.

I'd asked them after an unsuccessful Vacation Scheme AC, so I'm not sure if it also holds true for applications unsuccessful at the initial stage, but I think the firm policy would be similar for both.
    Yes you are correct! Ashurst doesn't let u apply twice even if its after the first stage

Reactions: Adrian_S

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021

Yes you are correct! Ashurst doesn't let u apply twice even if its after the first stage
    This must be different from last year, because I was rejected post-app for VS but progressed to an interview for direct TC in the same cycle!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    @GXA123 raised an important question: are there any firms that you can apply to for a training contract in the same cycle that you've made an unsuccessful vacation scheme application? i hope the following list offers some help. take it with a heap of salt! will keep looking for better information, send some emails out, and update the list accordingly.

Firms which do accept TC applications in the same cycle if your VS application was unsuccessful

NB: Some of these firms stress that, while a direct training contract route technically exists, you are unlikely to be successful unless there is substantial improvement to your more recent application.

Boodle Hatfield
    Burges Salmon
    Farrer & Co
    Linklaters
    Macfarlanes
    Norton Rose Fulbright
    Slaughter & May
    Sullivan & Cromwell
    Travers Smith
    White & Case
    Withers

Firms which do not accept TC applications in the same cycle as an unsuccessful VS application

NB: For some of these firms, this is because they have no direct route to a training contract.

Addleshaw Goddard
    Allen & Overy
    Ashurst
    Baker McKenzie
    Bird & Bird
    Clifford Chance
    Clyde & Co
    CMS
    Covington & Burling
    Davis Polk & Wardell
    Dechert
    DLA Piper
    Eversheds Sutherland
    Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    Gateley
    Gowling WLG
    Herbert Smith Freehills
    Hogan Lovells
    Irwin Mitchell
    Latham & Watkins
    Milbank
    Mills & Reeve
    Mishcon de Reya
    Reed Smith
    Ropes & Gray
    Shearman & Sterling
    Sidley Austin
    Simmons & Simmons
    Skadden
    Stephenson Harwood
    Taylor Wessing
    Wilkie Farr & Gallagher
    Covington now do accept direct TC in the same cycle. :)

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_S and AvniD

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Hi James, does White & Case allow you to apply twice overall across all cycles or twice within one cycle?
    I was wondering if there is any update on this. I'd emailed Grad Recruitment about this a while ago too, but they didn't respond. Does White & Case allow you apply twice within one cycle? Or twice overall across all cycles?

@George Maxwell @Jessica Booker @James Carrabino do you perhaps have any idea about this? If anyone else in the TCLA community could help, that would be great too!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was wondering if there is any update on this. I'd emailed Grad Recruitment about this a while ago too, but they didn't respond. Does White & Case allow you apply twice within one cycle? Or twice overall across all cycles?

@George Maxwell @Jessica Booker @James Carrabino do you perhaps have any idea about this? If anyone else in the TCLA community could help, that would be great too!
    Unfortunately, I don’t know the specifics of individual firm’s policies.

Reactions: IT7

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    Just adding to this @Adrian_S

Morgan Lewis let's you reapply - on their form it says:

You should only apply for one position at a time. If you wish to apply for both the summer scheme and training contract, please wait until you have been notified of the outcome of your summer scheme application before submitting an application for a training contract at the firm.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and Adrian_S

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.