TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hey! I'm involved in a university society and we're organising a law event. A firm I've applied to are experts on the specific topic of the event and I think they'd be great to reach out to. Is there anything wrong with me reaching out to grad rec about this given I am an applicant?
@AP2000 I don't see a problem as your university society's activities with the firm and your application to the firm are distinct and unrelated. If you're still feeling apprehensive, either let grad rec know about your position in the society and that you wanted make sure there isn't a conflict of interest re your application or as someone suggested above, communicate via the campus ambassador, if they have one.

• Love
Reactions: AP2000

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
does anyone have any advice for answering a question about when you've paid attention to detail? i've never really had a job where I've had to proof read or anything similar - does anyone have any examples of what they use? my last resort is discussing something uni related but i'd rather not because it'd kinda have to really tailor something to fit where it doesn't if that makes sense!
Think of a time when you played a sport, volunteered, pursued something artistic, worked on a group project- what were some of the things you picked up on that most others would've missed? What was your thought process behind keeping these details in mind and why did they matter to you?

The example itself doesn't matter as much as how well you demonstrate your attention to detail in the manner I've expanded on above, so you could go with something uni related if none of the above examples work out for you.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Also, when speaking about specific deals (maybe I can loop @George Maxwell in here too), would you have any advice as to how much detail we should have? Some parts of the deal (other than what is public knowledge) may be confidential, so how can we substantiate our answer? Is it worth talking about the impact of the deal/company on the industry? Interested in hearing your thoughts!
I think firms don't expect you to include details that you can't access so your knowledge of the inner workings of a deal is understandably going to be limited. As long as you know the crux of the deal and why it matters, the biggest legal issues that cropped up in it and what they meant for the deal and the different teams that worked on it and how they worked together, you're good.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks @George Maxwell would you recommend asking the interviewer questions in the scenario interview for HSF?
Hey @Crystal86,

Again this is only my opinion, but yes!

I tried to be curious during my interview and enthusiastic about the issues that we were discussing. This approach indicates that are you engaged and interested, as well as being keen and willing to learn/improve, which bodes well for when you become a trainee. For example, from what I remember, I asked my interviewers (as I had two scenario interviews when I was applying) what their thoughts were about X or Y (even during the interview rather than just at the end) and what they found difficult etc.

I think this worked well for this style of interview partly because it (in some ways) replicates a conversation between two lawyers trying to work through a new legal scenario together and questions would naturally arise during this sort of discussion.

That being said, I would not force it. I tend to be one of those people who naturally asks a lot of questions and am generally enthusiastic, so for me this came relatively naturally. But I do not think that you need to ask lots of questions to be successful.

I hope that helps. Do ask if anything is unclear etc. 💪

AB

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2020
Hello everyone, I have an AC coming up with Macfarlanes ( one of my dream firms mainly due to the training) and I am terrified! I am not the best at ACs, my mind just goes blank - especially in the written exercises. I would really appreciate some tips from anyone who's done an AC with Macfarlanes or tips for calming nerves ( and sleeping the night before)! Thanks.

psr23

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Sep 15, 2020
That is so weird, I wonder why! I applied for summer but is still waiting on a reply from Mayer Brown.

I wonder if I should assume PFO by now...It really frustrates me yikes
I think it’s because they wanted to make sure no covid restrictions are in place for the scheme! And I’m not sure when their last ACs are, but I think they were still sending out invites last week x

Reactions: ZaraB

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
has anyone done a w&c ac? would really appreciate some advice, thanks!!
Check out an entry I wrote for TCLA (the top one!) hope it helps and let me know if you have any other questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.