TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
has anyone done a w&c ac? would really appreciate some advice, thanks!!
Check out an entry I wrote for TCLA (the top one!) hope it helps and let me know if you have any other questions :)

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Really curious to know how firms feel about shadowing experience? If I can demonstrate what I’ve learnt/how this has helped me develop is it still considered valuable “legal” experience?

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Am preparing for (ethical) scenarios Qs- would appreciate your thoughts:

Should a lawyer prioritise upholding the rule of law/acting with integrity over acting in the client's best interests (when these conflict)? Is it the former as this is the primary duty of a lawyer (according to SRA regs etc). Does the response change where acting in the client's best interests would entail acting unethically but within the confines of the law?

Was asked this last year in a mock interview and wasn't sure how to answer- what would you do if whilst in a client meeting you realised one your senior colleagues had made a mistake in one of the reports/related docs? I said to bring it up asap so as to avoid wasted time and further misrepresentation but it was suggested that it would be detrimental to bring up your colleagues mistake in the meeting/in front of a client (and so being a bad team player).

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Also, when speaking about specific deals (maybe I can loop @George Maxwell in here too), would you have any advice as to how much detail we should have? Some parts of the deal (other than what is public knowledge) may be confidential, so how can we substantiate our answer? Is it worth talking about the impact of the deal/company on the industry? Interested in hearing your thoughts!
Hey @WiseOwl,

Thank you for the question and for reaching out. Given everything that has been said on this by the team already, I do not have much to add. Just wanted to let you know I have seen this!

Feel free to tag me in future though as I would be delighted to help.
Has anyone previously interviewed at Greenberg Traurig ? If so can I drop you a PM?
Hey @rb26,

Unfortunately I do not have any experience of GT, so I cannot help directly with your query.

My advice would be to use the forum's search bar functionality if you have not already (searching "Greenberg" looks promising for example!). By doing this you might be able to identify some users who have posted about their interview process on the forum previously and reach out to them directly via PM.

Very happy to help with some general interview tips if that would be helpful!
Could anyone pls tell me who Travers key competitors are and why?
Hey @TCApp2021,

This is a great question. I think there are three ways of doing this:

1. Have you taken a look at Travers' entry in Chambers & Partners? If you take a look at where the firm is strongest in London, consider the firms that are in the same band as them in these areas. For example, under "Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market in London (Firms)", the other firms listed in Band 1 are DLA Piper and Macfarlanes. TheLegal500's entry for Travers (and going through the same process with reference to their Tier ranking system) may also be useful for this.

2. Consider recent deals that Travers have publicly spoken about. This method can be hit and miss. I actually took a look through several deals that they recently publicised on their website (e.g., The Access Group on its acquisition of Vincere, Brown & Brown, Inc. on its acquisition of BDB and InstaVolt on its acquisition by EQT Infrastructure) but had little success in finding the opposing counsel for any of these deals.

This method can be a little misleading. Some companies will have a go-to counsel who may not work with (in this case) Travers very often, so it would be wrong to call them a key competitor more broadly despite them working with the firm on a particular occasion.

3. Reach out to (future) trainees/associates on LinkedIn who work at/have experience of Travers and ask them about their experience of the firm. this approach is a really great way of learning about a firm in a way that is difficult to do by digesting their GR literature.

@WiseOwl, looking at the deal teams of particular deals and reaching out to members of that team to see if they would be willing to discuss it (albeit most likely in broad strokes) might be a great way of demonstrating your curiosity and enthusiasm for a firm/deal (especially if you wish to discuss this at interview). If you were to do this though, I would make sure that you are very comfortable speaking about it and the relevant industry/commercial context.

I hope that helps @TCApp2021 🚀
I have my training contract interview coming up in the next couple of weeks at Slaughter and May and I'm very aware that the majority of the interview will be based on my CV. After initially applying, I reached out to grad recruitment in order to reupload my CV, as I'd uploaded the incorrect one. However, now I have noticed that there is a small spelling error on this CV ('on' instead of 'of). Slaughter and May are obviously renowned for reinforcing the importance of attention to detail and I'm so worried that this could jeopardise my chances.

However, on the other hand, I'm worried about unnecessarily highlighting to grad recruitment that I've had to change my CV upload twice now. I know this seems like a small problem but any insight/advice would be hugely appreciated!
Hey @Jellybelly829,

I know others have replied to this, but I think it would be best for you to wait until you hear back now. I think it would be inadvisable to ask to resubmit your CV at this stage personally!

Please do let me know when you do hear back. I interviewed (twice) with Slaughters and would be more than happy to help where I can.
Hi all! I have an AC for Bird & Bird coming up. Wanted to ask if anyone has had it before and whether they have any tips or insights they can share regarding the interview?

Thanks so much :)
Hey @Zubin,

Congratulations on the AC!

It might be helpful to take a look at my advice for @rb26 above about using the search bar functionality on the forum (if you have not already!). I am sure there will be some content on the forum that would be helpful.

Very happy to point you towards some of our resources on interviews more broadly too. Just let me know if you would find that useful :)
Hey, does anyone have tips for written exercises in ACs or more specifically the Goodwin written exercise? It's 60 minutes long and it's quite intimidating 😬
Hey @gkadh03,

Awesome news on the being invited to Goodwin's WE. I would suggest as above taking a look through the forum using the search bar, just in case others have spoken about their experience previously on the forum.

In terms of more general advice, here is some fantastic evergreen content from the community which I hope might be helpful:
  1. @James Carrabino's thoughtful and thorough list of issues to consider when completing a WE
  2. A basic structure to employ when writing a WE
  3. @Jessica Booker's words of wisdom for WEs
  4. @SLKEJRWOI97's thoughts on WEs
Let me know if you would like any further help with this!
Hello everyone, I have an AC coming up with Macfarlanes ( one of my dream firms mainly due to the training) and I am terrified! I am not the best at ACs, my mind just goes blank - especially in the written exercises. I would really appreciate some tips from anyone who's done an AC with Macfarlanes or tips for calming nerves ( and sleeping the night before)! Thanks.
Hey @AB,

Congratulations for getting progressed to an AC with Macfarlanes! I empathise with your nervousness. I felt anxious before each of my interviews.

The biggest thing to remember is that the firm has invited you for a reason and that you really can only do your best. So channel that anxiety and make sure that you make the most of this opportunity because you really can do it.

Do take a look at my advice above about using the search bar functionality and at my reply to @gkadh03 above regarding WE resources from the forum too.

If it would be helpful I am very happy to point you towards some general AC resources. Just let me know if that would be useful🤙

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021

Should a lawyer prioritise upholding the rule of law/acting with integrity over acting in the client's best interests (when these conflict)? Is it the former as this is the primary duty of a lawyer (according to SRA regs etc). Does the response change where acting in the client's best interests would entail acting unethically but within the confines of the law?

Was asked this last year in a mock interview and wasn't sure how to answer- what would you do if whilst in a client meeting you realised one your senior colleagues had made a mistake in one of the reports/related docs? I said to bring it up asap so as to avoid wasted time and further misrepresentation but it was suggested that it would be detrimental to bring up your colleagues mistake in the meeting/in front of a client (and so being a bad team player).
"Should the Principles come into conflict, those which safeguard the wider public interest (such as the rule of law, and public confidence in a trustworthy solicitors' profession and a safe and effective market for regulated legal services) take precedence over an individual client's interests. You should, where relevant, inform your client of the circumstances in which your duty to the Court and other professional obligations will outweigh your duty to them."

That should answer it for you, taken directly from the intro to the principles from the SRA.

cycw

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
I think it’s because they wanted to make sure no covid restrictions are in place for the scheme! And I’m not sure when their last ACs are, but I think they were still sending out invites last week x
Does that mean they will have a even smaller intake then? since they're having to squeeze in spring scheme into the summer one all together?

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
"Should the Principles come into conflict, those which safeguard the wider public interest (such as the rule of law, and public confidence in a trustworthy solicitors' profession and a safe and effective market for regulated legal services) take precedence over an individual client's interests. You should, where relevant, inform your client of the circumstances in which your duty to the Court and other professional obligations will outweigh your duty to them."

That should answer it for you, taken directly from the intro to the principles from the SRA.
@Abii you're a ⭐

Reactions: Jaysen and Adrian_S

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

I think someone else has answered the first question but re the situational judgment question, the point is you never want to give the impression that you are not a united front as a firm, and least of all give the client the impression that your colleagues are not competent. I’d say the best answer is that you want to have a side bar with your colleague as quickly as possible and give them the chance to correct the mistake and convey that to the client - never undermine your colleagues in front of a client.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Hey @WiseOwl,

Thank you for the question and for reaching out. Given everything that has been said on this by the team already, I do not have much to add. Just wanted to let you know I have seen this!

Feel free to tag me in future though as I would be delighted to help.

Hey @rb26,

Unfortunately I do not have any experience of GT, so I cannot help directly with your query.

My advice would be to use the forum's search bar functionality if you have not already (searching "Greenberg" looks promising for example!). By doing this you might be able to identify some users who have posted about their interview process on the forum previously and reach out to them directly via PM.

Very happy to help with some general interview tips if that would be helpful!

Hey @TCApp2021,

This is a great question. I think there are three ways of doing this:

1. Have you taken a look at Travers' entry in Chambers & Partners? If you take a look at where the firm is strongest in London, consider the firms that are in the same band as them in these areas. For example, under "Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market in London (Firms)", the other firms listed in Band 1 are DLA Piper and Macfarlanes. TheLegal500's entry for Travers (and going through the same process with reference to their Tier ranking system) may also be useful for this.

2. Consider recent deals that Travers have publicly spoken about. This method can be hit and miss. I actually took a look through several deals that they recently publicised on their website (e.g., The Access Group on its acquisition of Vincere, Brown & Brown, Inc. on its acquisition of BDB and InstaVolt on its acquisition by EQT Infrastructure) but had little success in finding the opposing counsel for any of these deals.

This method can be a little misleading. Some companies will have a go-to counsel who may not work with (in this case) Travers very often, so it would be wrong to call them a key competitor more broadly despite them working with the firm on a particular occasion.

3. Reach out to (future) trainees/associates on LinkedIn who work at/have experience of Travers and ask them about their experience of the firm. this approach is a really great way of learning about a firm in a way that is difficult to do by digesting their GR literature.

@WiseOwl, looking at the deal teams of particular deals and reaching out to members of that team to see if they would be willing to discuss it (albeit most likely in broad strokes) might be a great way of demonstrating your curiosity and enthusiasm for a firm/deal (especially if you wish to discuss this at interview). If you were to do this though, I would make sure that you are very comfortable speaking about it and the relevant industry/commercial context.

I hope that helps @TCApp2021 🚀

Hey @Jellybelly829,

I know others have replied to this, but I think it would be best for you to wait until you hear back now. I think it would be inadvisable to ask to resubmit your CV at this stage personally!

Please do let me know when you do hear back. I interviewed (twice) with Slaughters and would be more than happy to help where I can.

Hey @Zubin,

Congratulations on the AC!

It might be helpful to take a look at my advice for @rb26 above about using the search bar functionality on the forum (if you have not already!). I am sure there will be some content on the forum that would be helpful.

Very happy to point you towards some of our resources on interviews more broadly too. Just let me know if you would find that useful :)

Hey @gkadh03,

Awesome news on the being invited to Goodwin's WE. I would suggest as above taking a look through the forum using the search bar, just in case others have spoken about their experience previously on the forum.

In terms of more general advice, here is some fantastic evergreen content from the community which I hope might be helpful:
    1. @James Carrabino's thoughtful and thorough list of issues to consider when completing a WE
    2. A basic structure to employ when writing a WE
    3. @Jessica Booker's words of wisdom for WEs
    4. @SLKEJRWOI97's thoughts on WEs
    Let me know if you would like any further help with this!

Hey @AB,

Congratulations for getting progressed to an AC with Macfarlanes! I empathise with your nervousness. I felt anxious before each of my interviews.

The biggest thing to remember is that the firm has invited you for a reason and that you really can only do your best. So channel that anxiety and make sure that you make the most of this opportunity because you really can do it.

Do take a look at my advice above about using the search bar functionality and at my reply to @gkadh03 above regarding WE resources from the forum too.

If it would be helpful I am very happy to point you towards some general AC resources. Just let me know if that would be useful🤙

I think someone else has answered the first question but re the situational judgment question, the point is you never want to give the impression that you are not a united front as a firm, and least of all give the client the impression that your colleagues are not competent. I’d say the best answer is that you want to have a side bar with your colleague as quickly as possible and give them the chance to correct the mistake and convey that to the client - never undermine your colleagues in front of a client.
    Thank you!

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.