TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm wondering what to bring my laptop and notebook and pencil case in... I just moved to London and literally have a big dark brown rucksack with me which is deffo not appropriate right? Do I need to buy a briefcase... lol
No one uses briefcases these days so much so that it might be odd to turn up with one!

If you want something like a handbag, then something like this will be ok: KROSER Laptop Tote bag 15.6 Inch Large Shoulder Bag Lightweight with USB Charging Port Water-repellent Computer Tote Bag Women Stylish Handbag: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. If you want something less feminine, then something like this laptop case might be appropriate: iSOUL 14-15.6 inch Shock Resistant Laptop Sleeve Case Briefcase Bag [Accessory Pocket] Compatible for 14 to 15.6" MacBook Pro/Surface Book /XPS 15/Chromebook/HP/Lenovo - Grey : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

However, many people just bring a smart rucksack with them (and that is fine too!).

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
OMG I am speechless! i passed a verbal reasoning test for the first time ever and I have been invited to the next stage!
I had to work so hard to manage my dyslexia! I need to answer a number of questions and it would be amazing if I could get your help @James Carrabino @AvniD @George Maxwell and @Jessica Booker.

1)Why law at Sky? I would like to focus on their work and why I am interested in the media and especially media & law. Plus the fact that it is a big in-house team and the learning opportunities are endless and their diversity.
2) Tell us about a skill you have gained outside of your studies that you would bring to the role? I believe I should research their skills and then link back to the role. For example, in my spare time I exercise and learnt to be resilient and organised. As a trainee....
3) Tell us about a topic which you find interesting? Can i speak about my passion for country music and especially dolly parton? Or should I mention something more business focused? Or can I talk about a recent article I read? The article was written by a journalist who was adopted at a young age and her daughter was her first biological connection and she found her identity. I was adopted and always wanted to discuss the topic of identity.
Hey @S87,

Congratulations on being invited to the next stage of you AC.

It is a little difficult for myself and the rest of the team to help without further context. What are your thoughts so far? Is there anything in particular that you would like advice or help with concerning the questions above?

Reactions: AvniD

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
No one uses briefcases these days so much so that it might be odd to turn up with one!

If you want something like a handbag, then something like this will be ok: KROSER Laptop Tote bag 15.6 Inch Large Shoulder Bag Lightweight with USB Charging Port Water-repellent Computer Tote Bag Women Stylish Handbag: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. If you want something less feminine, then something like this laptop case might be appropriate: iSOUL 14-15.6 inch Shock Resistant Laptop Sleeve Case Briefcase Bag [Accessory Pocket] Compatible for 14 to 15.6" MacBook Pro/Surface Book /XPS 15/Chromebook/HP/Lenovo - Grey : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

However, many people just bring a smart rucksack with them (and that is fine too!).
Would we be expected to take our personal laptops in? Or is it more so personal preference/convenience?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Would we be expected to take our personal laptops in? Or is it more so personal preference/convenience?
    You don’t need to bring your personal laptop and I’d actually recommend you don’t. They will loan you a laptop for you to access the firm server and files and will likely have concerns about you using your own laptop to access any of those (confidentiality breaches being the concern).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not for an AC or an interview (you won't need one) and for a vacation scheme you are likely to be given a laptop. You might take one in for an open day/insight programme type of event though, but it is worthwhile checking ith the firm if you can bring/use one in that case.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry, I meant for a vac scheme! But I will go with what FS said above :)
    In most instances, for vacation schemes, you will be given a laptop by the firm. In any situations where they don't give you a device like this, they will probably tell you to bring something like this with you.

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    Hey all! Hope you're well. For anyone who did the HSF AC, I was wondering whether you think the rumour is true about how if you're successful you'll hear back on the day of your interview, and if you are not you'll just receive an email rejection in a few days?
    Yeah it’s definitely true! My friend heard back within 2 hours after his AC. I heard back 3 days later with a rejection….

• Wow
    Reactions: APPLE619

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey all! Hope you're well. For anyone who did the HSF AC, I was wondering whether you think the rumour is true about how if you're successful you'll hear back on the day of your interview, and if you are not you'll just receive an email rejection in a few days?
    There may be many people who hear back the same day. But with recruitment there is absolutely no guarantee of this, even if this is what the firm aims to do.

All of the following things could cause delays in a firm getting back to you
    • Your interviewer(s) getting caught on client work (this is the most common)
    • Your interviewers having to take leave unexpectedly
    • The graduate recruitment team having to take leave unexpectedly
    • Delays in getting feedback (sent to the wrong email address, faults with the feedback system/platform, delays in internal mail deliveries if the firm is old school)
    • Delays in getting other information about you - (e.g. academic references)
    • You not being reachable
    And that is all assuming that the firm does try to get back to people the same day. It is probably not even true in all honesty because it sets unrealistic expectations.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Is anyone else waiting on Withers? I have seen people on this forum say they were rejected, and people who have been accepted to the Vacation Scheme. Meanwhile, I haven't heard anything for 5 months. I wish all firms just sent a PFO as quickly as CC or A&O do:(

APPLE619

Star Member
    Dec 6, 2021
    There may be many people who hear back the same day. But with recruitment there is absolutely no guarantee of this, even if this is what the firm aims to do.

All of the following things could cause delays in a firm getting back to you
    • Your interviewer(s) getting caught on client work (this is the most common)
    • Your interviewers having to take leave unexpectedly
    • The graduate recruitment team having to take leave unexpectedly
    • Delays in getting feedback (sent to the wrong email address, faults with the feedback system/platform, delays in internal mail deliveries if the firm is old school)
    • Delays in getting other information about you - (e.g. academic references)
    • You not being reachable
    And that is all assuming that the firm does try to get back to people the same day. It is probably not even true in all honesty because it sets unrealistic expectations.
    I see! Thanks so much for the response :). Thanks @chipmunk too :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: CC03

Lawyertobe101

Mar 7, 2022
    Hi guys,

Happy Monday!!!!

Just overthinking this question: Question: Weightmans has an award-winning innovation team. How do you think technological innovations can continue to assist with providing this excellent service to our clients?

Would you say this question is asking about existing technological innovations at Weightmans or suggesting new tech innovations that can be implemented?

Many thanks,

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.