TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it normal for recruitment agencies to ask for a photocopy of your passport? I have been invited to sign up to this recruitment agency, but to do that I need to upload a scan of my passport....and it is a bit unnerving to be sharing this information online. @Jessica Booker
Very common - in fact, they normally need to see the real thing and then take a photocopy of it, although Covid has lightened the regulations around this.

If they don't check your right to work in the UK with a photo (which can only really be done by a passport) they could be fined £10k even if you actually have the right to work in the UK.

Reactions: ola830

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Has anyone else still not heard back from MoFo post app? Sent a follow-up email over a week ago and haven't received a response yet.
I haven't heard from them since my second round interview in mid January. I know it'll probably be a PFO due to the length of time passed, but I still think they're inviting people to interview - so don't lose hope.

• 🤝
Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal and djqb

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
OMG I am speechless! i passed a verbal reasoning test for the first time ever and I have been invited to the next stage!
I had to work so hard to manage my dyslexia! I need to answer a number of questions and it would be amazing if I could get your help @James Carrabino @AvniD @George Maxwell and @Jessica Booker.

1)Why law at Sky? I would like to focus on their work and why I am interested in the media and especially media & law. Plus the fact that it is a big in-house team and the learning opportunities are endless and their diversity.
2) Tell us about a skill you have gained outside of your studies that you would bring to the role? I believe I should research their skills and then link back to the role. For example, in my spare time I exercise and learnt to be resilient and organised. As a trainee....
3) Tell us about a topic which you find interesting? Can i speak about my passion for country music and especially dolly parton? Or should I mention something more business focused? Or can I talk about a recent article I read? The article was written by a journalist who was adopted at a young age and her daughter was her first biological connection and she found her identity. I was adopted and always wanted to discuss the topic of identity.

failedlegallyblonde

Standard Member
Mar 7, 2022
Does anyone know what happens if you miss a call from a firm? I am waiting to hear back from an AC via phone call but I have a very busy timetable at university where I do not have my phone on me and I also work part time where again I do not have access to my phone. I am worried that if I miss a call this could negatively impact me. Has anyone been in this position

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Does anyone know what happens if you miss a call from a firm? I am waiting to hear back from an AC via phone call but I have a very busy timetable at university where I do not have my phone on me and I also work part time where again I do not have access to my phone. I am worried that if I miss a call this could negatively impact me. Has anyone been in this position
They will just leave a voicemail, call again, or email. A firm isn't going to pass on a candidate just because they're not glued to their phone.

Reactions: AvniD, WillF and M777

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I have missed every single call I have ever received from a law firm - I work full time and study part time and my phone is always on do not disturb. In my experience they leave a voicemail and/or follow up with an email.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Make sure your voicemail is set up so they can leave a message.

They don't expect you to always be able to answer the phone - it won't negatively impact you if you miss a call.

Reactions: AvniD

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
How long should I wait before I follow up with an email about written confirmation after my verbal vac scheme offer? It will be two weeks since the phone call tomorrow and I haven't received it yet. I dont know if you have any advice on this @Jessica Booker

Also does anyone know if the TCLA recording of Laura's session is available yet?

Last edited:

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Yep, that should be fine - Smart casual attire is a dress code that combines well-fitting, polished business wear with elements of casual attire.

[One tip that should help you with dress codes is to remember that sometimes it's better to overdress than underdress - mainly because overdressing can be easily remedied on the day (take off blazer/tie, change from heels to flats etc). Dressing too causal might be harder to deal with on the day...
I'm wondering what to bring my laptop and notebook and pencil case in... I just moved to London and literally have a big dark brown rucksack with me which is deffo not appropriate right? Do I need to buy a briefcase... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.