TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was writing my application to Foot Anstey's Exeter office and one of the questions asks: 'Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention. Please explain why you have identified this and how you consider it to be significant to Foot Anstey? (max. 400w)'
I have a really interesting idea to discuss which would fall under the Energy & Infrastructure sector. It is one of the firm's core sectors, but not when it comes to their Exeter office.
Should I still write about it or should I pick something applicable to the office I am interested in?
I'd personally suggest picking something more related to the work the firm does in that office, just because there could be a slight question as to why you are considering that location over others.

• 🤝
Reactions: ap28

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I was writing my application to Foot Anstey's Exeter office and one of the questions asks: 'Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention. Please explain why you have identified this and how you consider it to be significant to Foot Anstey? (max. 400w)'
I have a really interesting idea to discuss which would fall under the Energy & Infrastructure sector. It is one of the firm's core sectors, but not when it comes to their Exeter office.
Should I still write about it or should I pick something applicable to the office I am interested in?
If it's a sector that the Exeter office does at least some work in, even if it isn't a 'core' sector, I don't see why it would be a problem if you wrote/spoke about it. Ultimately, if you feel more comfortable picking a commercial issue that better relates to the Exeter office's core sectors, the you could go down that route too. Just ensure that you're able to write a good quality answer even with the new commercial issue you pick.

• 🤝
Reactions: ap28

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
OMG I am speechless! i passed a verbal reasoning test for the first time ever and I have been invited to the next stage!
I had to work so hard to manage my dyslexia! I need to answer a number of questions and it would be amazing if I could get your help @James Carrabino @AvniD @George Maxwell and @Jessica Booker.

1)Why law at Sky? I would like to focus on their work and why I am interested in the media and especially media & law. Plus the fact that it is a big in-house team and the learning opportunities are endless and their diversity.
2) Tell us about a skill you have gained outside of your studies that you would bring to the role? I believe I should research their skills and then link back to the role. For example, in my spare time I exercise and learnt to be resilient and organised. As a trainee....
3) Tell us about a topic which you find interesting? Can i speak about my passion for country music and especially dolly parton? Or should I mention something more business focused? Or can I talk about a recent article I read? The article was written by a journalist who was adopted at a young age and her daughter was her first biological connection and she found her identity. I was adopted and always wanted to discuss the topic of identity.

Sorry I have not been clear,

I think, in relation to the second question that I should link back to the role of a trainee. For example, I exercise a lot..this requires resilience and organisation and as a trainee etc..
I am a bit struggling when it comes to the 3rd question "a topic which interests me" Can I talk about anything? How should I structure my answer?

Plus, @Jessica Booker can I get in touch with the trainees on LinkedIn and ask them a few questions?
Congratulations- very well done! 👏 👏 👏 Including my thoughts to your questions below-
1) Your motivations for why law sound good- ensure you provide evidence of initiative to back up your interest in media and law (maybe an event you attended, something you read etc.)
2) For this question, I am unsure how your pursuit of exercise related to being a skill that you've gained outside of your studies. Maybe start with talking about your resilience or organisational skills and the experiences and initiatives that have helped you develop it rather than the other way around.
3)I think you can pick anything as long as you state the topic you're interested in ➡️ talk the reader/interviewer through why you find it interesting (relate back to own experiences)➡️ identify its wider implications (on society, the economy, the group of people it concerns etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: S87

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys,

Happy Monday!!!!

Just overthinking this question: Question: Weightmans has an award-winning innovation team. How do you think technological innovations can continue to assist with providing this excellent service to our clients?

Would you say this question is asking about existing technological innovations at Weightmans or suggesting new tech innovations that can be implemented?

Many thanks,
I think you can pick any as long as you're able to identify how such innovation will help in providing excellent service to the firm's clients. Highlight the link between the innovation + client service (this goes beyond just legal advice) and you should be good.

Reactions: LegalStudent556

georgiejg

Jan 6, 2022
Hello everyone,

I have an assessment centre coming up and a large part of the day is dedicated to a Q&A. I want to be able to ask a question to take part but everything I think of can be answered by researching the firm.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for interesting / perceptive questions to ask in these type of exercises?

Thanks!

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
@people who get v high Watson Glaser percentiles -- would anyone be willing to share how you manage to do well? I've done the free online practices and seen the thread on TCLA but its just not quite working. Wondering if anyone has any particularly helpful resources? Would be much appreciated. hope everyone's well.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    @people who get v high Watson Glaser percentiles -- would anyone be willing to share how you manage to do well? I've done the free online practices and seen the thread on TCLA but its just not quite working. Wondering if anyone has any particularly helpful resources? Would be much appreciated. hope everyone's well.
    I am struggling with this.

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    jobtestprep was my goat (though you do have to pay💰). i paid for the shortest subscription, and downloaded all the pdf resources (helpful!), so i could still refer back to them once my subscription ended.

then i just did lots of questions, which they split by category so i was able to recognise and focus on the ones i struggled most with. you get an explanation for why each answer is correct/incorrect, which i also found helpful! i essentially dedicated a number of hours to reading the resources and practising questions and saw a massive improvement in my WG outcomes.

in my first WG (i went into it with no prep whatsoever) i was 33rd percentile. after doing loads of jobtestprep Q’s i’m usually 90+.

(if anyone from jobtestprep is reading this feel free to sponsor me)

Hi guys,

Happy Monday!!!!

Just overthinking this question: Question: Weightmans has an award-winning innovation team. How do you think technological innovations can continue to assist with providing this excellent service to our clients?

Would you say this question is asking about existing technological innovations at Weightmans or suggesting new tech innovations that can be implemented?

Many thanks,
    I have been thinking the same thing! Not sure which angle to approach the question from… does anyone have any suggestions?

AB

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2020
    I don't get high on them but I have improved my score using the 'Critical Thinking Tests: Understanding Critical Thinking Skills, And How To Pass Critical Thinking Tests' book from Amazon (someone else recommended it on here so I brought it and it really helped)

Reactions: tc.la.vs

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Gibson Dunn first stage interview! If anyone has any insights into this interview it would really be appreciated. Also, i have just received the email now, regarding the interview, scheduled for this Wednesday. Would it be advised to attempt to rearrange the interview for a later date?
    Hey congrats, may I ask when did you apply?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.