TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
how do you go about sorting accommodation for a 2 week scheme in London, looking at budget hotels but they aren’t very budget friendly🥲
Please see this post I wrote a week or so ago:

• 🤝
Reactions: ellwilsen

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Living very centrally will be expensive for short term lets, especially if you are only looking at Barbican (there won’t really be any need to be that close to the office in all honesty).

The cheapest tends to be the halls of residence, particularly Queen Mary or City University.

Alternatively look at major transport hubs outside of Zones 1 and even 2. For instance, places like East Croydon will be cheaper and will have fast trains going into Victoria and London Bridge every few minutes. Stratford will be another major transport hub to consider, especially if the firms are based at the east end of the City/Canary Wharf.

Airbnbs can be a good shout, especially outside of zones 1 or 2.

I know some people who have contacted major budget hire chains like Premier Inn and have seen if they can get a discounted rate for a 2-3 week stay and in some locations, that can sometimes be the cheapest option.

Edit - just had a look at Premier Inn at East Croydon vs the one in Farringdon, and it was less than a third of the price for a week of that in Farringdon (about £320 a week instead of £1050). I suspect if you called them up you might get a cheaper rate for a long stay too.
I live in zone 6 so it would take me an 1.5 to get in.. am considering staying somewhere closer for the week of my vs. Has anyone living in London but far out from central done this before/think it would be worth it? If the places in zone 2 etc take around 30mins anyway not sure if it’ll make much difference.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I live in zone 6 so it would take me an 1.5 to get in.. am considering staying somewhere closer for the week of my vs. Has anyone living in London but far out from central done this before/think it would be worth it? If the places in zone 2 etc take around 30mins anyway not sure if it’ll make much difference.
I know people who have commuted in from outside of London zones and from as far as Cambridge/Brighton. It won’t be for everyone, but unless I was staying with someone for free or money was no object, I’d prefer to save the money and put up with the commute for a few weeks (and I hate commuting!!).

Reactions: TCApp2021

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
I know people who have commuted in from outside of London zones and from as far as Cambridge/Brighton. It won’t be for everyone, but unless I was staying with someone for free or money was no object, I’d prefer to save the money and put up with the commute for a few weeks (and I hate commuting!!).
Ahh it’s not the commute itself.. but was just considering if the extra rest would help me perform better during the vs.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Guys what do you usually ask to an associate of a firm where you want to apply to? I have the opportunity to have a chat tomorrow.
    I would necessarily ask them things you may have wanted to know but you haven’t found out online. Their own personal experiences with the training and development at the firm (if that is something that is a important factor for you).

Honestly speaking, I’ve never really used information I gathered from talking to trainees and associates in my application, unless it added huge value. I would just use your time to just have a conversation so you can build on your personal motivations for the firm really. But that’s my personal opinion.

Last edited:
    D

Deleted member 11671

Guys what do you usually ask to an associate of a firm where you want to apply to? I have the opportunity to have a chat tomorrow.
    I have used this as an opportunity to understand the firm's culture, particularly with regard to diversity and inclusion. Sometimes they might have also worked with competitor firms and they can provide insights on differences.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I would necessarily ask them things you may have wanted to know but you haven’t found out online. Their own personal experiences with the training and development at the firm (if that is something that is a important factor for you).

Honestly speaking, I’ve never really used information I gathered from talking to trainees and associates in my application, unless it added huge value. I would just use your time to just have a conversation so you can build on your personal motivations for the firm really. But that’s my personal opinion.
    Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ahh it’s not the commute itself.. but was just considering if the extra rest would help me perform better during the vs.
    I personally don’t think it would have that much of an impact for me (and I hate commuting), but everyone is different. I might just make the most of the commute - use it to read things, update a journal of my work etc.

It depends really whether you think you’ll get a seat on the train though. My energy was zapped when I had to stand in a packed commuter train, and changed massively when I moved and would get a seat most mornings/evenings.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    I personally don’t think it would have that much of an impact for me (and I hate commuting), but everyone is different. I might just make the most of the commute - use it to read things, update a journal of my work etc.

It depends really whether you think you’ll get a seat on the train though. My energy was zapped when I had to stand in a packed commuter train, and changed massively when I moved and would get a seat most mornings/evenings.
    Thank you

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Mishcon case study invite!
    really thought I was done with this cycle, because my Mishcon VI went so poorly so I'd ruled it out. I guess Im back in the game 😂
    Here We Go Dragon GIF by CBC

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Mishcon case study invite!
    really thought I was done with this cycle, because my Mishcon VI went so poorly so I'd ruled it out. I guess Im back in the game 😂
    Here We Go Dragon GIF by CBC
    Congrats! That's a great achievement! I did Mishcon's case study way back in 2020 and it was one of the most enjoyable case studies I ever did! Really interesting and very focused on their unique sectors (think PR/Reputation/Private Client). It was just such good fun and a really calm environment, the senior associate helped out a lot and pointed me to the right responses and I found out same day that I had progressed to AC. Just an FYI they will throw in a piece of information mid-way through the case study that will likely change your recommendations.

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Congrats! That's a great achievement! I did Mishcon's case study way back in 2020 and it was one of the most enjoyable case studies I ever did! Really interesting and very focused on their unique sectors (think PR/Reputation/Private Client). It was just such good fun and a really calm environment, the senior associate helped out a lot and pointed me to the right responses and I found out same day that I had progressed to AC. Just an FYI they will throw in a piece of information mid-way through the case study that will likely change your recommendations.
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate these pointers. They gave really short notice and I have exams next week so I have very limited time to prepare unfortunately. Thank you again!

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.