TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
I’ve been offered a new paralegal role and I have no idea whether I should take it or not! I’m currently at an international law firm, it’s probably the better name to have on my cv, but the role is kind of a dead end one and now that I’ve been doing it for a while, I’ve learnt everything I can and won’t grow much more. The new role is at a west end firm, the work is with less impressive clients and is probably a bit further removed from the sort of work city firms do. However, there’s more opportunity to gain experience across contentious & non-contentious work, so I think I’d learn more. I don’t know if I’m being ‘snobby’, but I’m worried the firm isn’t prestigious enough and there aren’t the TC opportunities that are available at my current firm. Would being at a west end firm harm my TC apps in anyway? I don’t know if I’m just being silly, being offered this role has come out of the blue so I don’t really know what to do! Any advice would be much appreciated 😊
I'd say it depends where your interests lie and where you would ideally like to do a TC. I think your reasoning and explanation is sound about having more learning opportunities in the new role but also understand your concerns re prestige. At the end of the day though as long as you can justify the move in future applications and interviews (which I think you can), then I can't see why it would do you any harm!

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Okay so 2 days ago I saw online that the branch of the small firm (4-6 trainees a year across 2 offices) I’ve applied to is being absorbed into another firm.
I’ve emailed grad rec to ask how this may effect my application, but very curious to know if this is going to be a “we’re not continuing with our recruitment this year) - bearing in mind these are now apps for 2024 training contracts? Has this happened before to other people? Thanks 😊

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell

elizabethjo123

Star Member
Jan 7, 2021
Just wondering how I should go about withdrawing from a VS as I’ve been offered a TC which I’m planning on accepting and so can’t complete the VS as they don’t let you do it if you’ve accepted a TC offer somewhere else. I’m sure this happens all the time but I just feel really guilty! Is sending a nice and apologetic email sufficient ?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just wondering how I should go about withdrawing from a VS as I’ve been offered a TC which I’m planning on accepting and so can’t complete the VS as they don’t let you do it if you’ve accepted a TC offer somewhere else. I’m sure this happens all the time but I just feel really guilty! Is sending a nice and apologetic email sufficient ?
I'd give them a call if you can rather than email.

They will need something in writing too to confirm you are withdrawing from the process, but I think a call is just a polite approach to take.

I really wouldn't worry about it though - this happens to them all the time, they are used to it. Yes, they will be disappointed to lose you, but ultimately it happens to them much more than it will happen to you, so they will be pretty chilled out about it!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Okay so 2 days ago I saw online that the branch of the small firm (4-6 trainees a year across 2 offices) I’ve applied to is being absorbed into another firm.
I’ve emailed grad rec to ask how this may effect my application, but very curious to know if this is going to be a “we’re not continuing with our recruitment this year) - bearing in mind these are now apps for 2024 training contracts? Has this happened before to other people? Thanks 😊
@Hele25 it's hard to say- depends on the terms and timeline of acquisition. I'd wait to see what grad rec says before making any assumptions though, and would also expect them to not have any answers till they know better about how this may impact recruitment.

• 🤝
Reactions: Hele25 and GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
To follow up on what @AvniD has said, it can depend on the following factors:

- if the firm will now have multiple offices in that same city/location - if not, then the hiring numbers may not change as they may still need trainees for that location
- whether the other firm has recruited or not yet
- if the expectation is that the firm will grow post-merger/acquisition (especially important if the trainee intakes are 2-3 years away from starting).

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I'm not sure what to even expect! Let's hope for good news, if not we can say we tried our best! :)
In the same boat as you here! Had my AC 2 days ago and still haven't received a response yet.
@Crystal86 and @Shia, I just wanted to say that I am keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

I really hope that you do hear some good news very soon. I am inspired by your outlook and positivity though. These things are stressful and anxiety-inducing, so credit to you 💪

Please do let me know when you find out!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.