TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! Is this a thing? I was initially hoping to go back home to HK this summer because travel restrictions are lifting, and I haven't seen my family in nearly three years... Do you think BM would do that for me given the results?

@Jessica Booker , perhaps you could weigh in on this?
I can't say this is the case for BM or not, but different standards might be applied for VS and TC recruitment. For instance, having the best performance in a VS process may not equate to it being the best for TC or they could even be looking at different criteria for a TC.

I don't think there is any harm in asking what the chances are of moving you to a direct TC process, but I wouldn't necessarily expect for this to result in a direct offer. They may need to reinterview you to understand your motivations are for a TC rather than a VS.

My only final thought it that they may question why you applied for a VS if your plans were to go home. Could you ask them to attend the earliest scheme so you still have the chance to return home later in the summer?

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and Zubin

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is that actually possible? cuz I'm thinking about turning it down as I've accepted two other offers
You can ask, and the worst that can happen is they say no and that you'll just have to turn down the VS offer as that is the best they can offer you.

You could renege one of your other offers too of course.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Zubin

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    I can't say this is the case for BM or not, but different standards might be applied for VS and TC recruitment. For instance, having the best performance in a VS process may not equate to it being the best for TC or they could even be looking at different criteria for a TC.

I don't think there is any harm in asking what the chances are of moving you to a direct TC process, but I wouldn't necessarily expect for this to result in a direct offer. They may need to reinterview you to understand your motivations are for a TC rather than a VS.

My only final thought it that they may question why you applied for a VS if your plans were to go home. Could you ask them to attend the earliest scheme so you still have the chance to return home later in the summer?
    Jessica, thanks for your response.

My motivations remain the same, however, I am leaning most towards BM and would be reneging on two other summer VS offers by accepting a TC offer at this stage, which may work in my favour to demonstrate my commitment to BM.

Unfortunately, BM only runs one summer scheme for 15 participants and is unable to move me to the spring scheme as that's only a couple of weeks away.

Regarding my plans to go home - that is a very good point! I suppose I wasn't expecting to be so fortunate and be in the position I'm in. Nevertheless, as you said, there's no harm in asking!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Jessica, thanks for your response.

My motivations remain the same, however, I am leaning most towards BM and would be reneging on two other summer VS offers by accepting a TC offer at this stage, which may work in my favour to demonstrate my commitment to BM.

Unfortunately, BM only runs one summer scheme for 15 participants and is unable to move me to the spring scheme as that's only a couple of weeks away.

Regarding my plans to go home - that is a very good point! I suppose I wasn't expecting to be so fortunate and be in the position I'm in. Nevertheless, as you said, there's no harm in asking!
    By motivations, I meant more what BM had asked you rather than what you presented. It might be the case that their motivational questions are much lighter for a vacation scheme rather than a TC.

I don't think the suggestion that you would turn down 2 VS to accept their TC really works logically though. Their argument could be that 1) you are clearly willing to do VS over the summer with other firms (as you have accepted them) so why couldn't you do their VS and just renege the other firm(s). They could also argue that it would be better to do the schemes and work out which firm you are better suited to as well.

Reactions: Simba281 and GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it possible to transfer your summer vacation scheme to a winter/spring in the next cycle? Feel like I don't want to waste all I've put in to get an offer just to turn it down straight awat
    You can ask, but the firm knows there is a good chance you won’t take it up if you secure TCs this summer as you are unlikely to be their first choice of firm if you are going to otherwise turn them down.

If you are not eligible for the schemes this could also be an obstacle too.

I’d generally only offer this if mitigating circumstances were stopping someone from taking up the scheme they were offered.

• 🤝
    Reactions: YUKI1201

M991

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    Is it possible to transfer your summer vacation scheme to a winter/spring in the next cycle? Feel like I don't want to waste all I've put in to get an offer just to turn it down straight awat
    I think it depends on the firm. The grad rec from the firm, whose offer I had to decline due to clashing dates, asked me whether I would be interested in their Winter VS in the next cycle, if I do not secure any TC this summer.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hiya guys, so this isn’t technically an application review request/question, but I’m wondering if TCLA reviews postgraduate/LPC application personal statements?

Or separately, are there any resources that anyone knows of that could help guide me in what to include?
    I’m thinking of structuring it somewhat like a cover letter - why law, why the uni, why me. But geared towards an LPC. - Is this about right? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

On another note, went to a careers talk last night at the university of law (in person omg) and I went in with the idea of - “I’m doing the SQE, what’s the point of doing the LPC” etc , and it was a bit bizarre at how strongly they were suggesting still doing the LPC.
    Someone asked “what about firms that are already transitioning out of the LPC, isn’t it redundant?” and the Dean said “even if you have to do SQE 2 in addition to the LPC- in his opinion this was a preferable route to take as so many law firms are confused about the technical aspects of the SQE and are more comfortable with the LPC”.
    (I’m paraphrasing, but the gist was - I don’t see why you would go down the route of the experimental SQE, when the LPC remains an option for those of you who started pre 2021).

He did remain objective saying if anyone DID want to do the SQE he would stay later and discuss it, but everyone in the room was only interested in the LPC.

It was very interesting as I thought providers would be taking the opposite stance and be pushing the SQE, but it seemed their personal opinions were very much still stuck on the LPC.

*this is in no way meant to sway anyones opinions re SQE and LPC and I sincerely don’t know enough about what law firms want to comment !!!
    just thought it was interesting :)
    And a little bit of gossip lol

• ℹ️

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Hiya guys, so this isn’t technically an application review request/question, but I’m wondering if TCLA reviews postgraduate/LPC application personal statements?

Or separately, are there any resources that anyone knows of that could help guide me in what to include?
    I’m thinking of structuring it somewhat like a cover letter - why law, why the uni, why me. But geared towards an LPC. - Is this about right? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

On another note, went to a careers talk last night at the university of law (in person omg) and I went in with the idea of - “I’m doing the SQE, what’s the point of doing the LPC” etc , and it was a bit bizarre at how strongly they were suggesting still doing the LPC.
    Someone asked “what about firms that are already transitioning out of the LPC, isn’t it redundant?” and the Dean said “even if you have to do SQE 2 in addition to the LPC- in his opinion this was a preferable route to take as so many law firms are confused about the technical aspects of the SQE and are more comfortable with the LPC”.
    (I’m paraphrasing, but the gist was - I don’t see why you would go down the route of the experimental SQE, when the LPC remains an option for those of you who started pre 2021).

He did remain objective saying if anyone DID want to do the SQE he would stay later and discuss it, but everyone in the room was only interested in the LPC.

It was very interesting as I thought providers would be taking the opposite stance and be pushing the SQE, but it seemed their personal opinions were very much still stuck on the LPC.

*this is in no way meant to sway anyones opinions re SQE and LPC and I sincerely don’t know enough about what law firms want to comment !!!
    I would wonder if this might be because they can make more money out of students doing the LPC then doing the SQE2 prep course…

in terms of the LPC personal statement mine was literally three sentences stating I have a scholarship, I intend to qualify as a solicitor and I want to study in london as that’s where I live and intend to work.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I would wonder if this might be because they can make more money out of students doing the LPC then doing the SQE2 prep course…

in terms of the LPC personal statement mine was literally three sentences stating I have a scholarship, I intend to qualify as a solicitor and I want to study in london as that’s where I live and intend to work.
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

Reactions: James Carrabino

n2000

Nov 10, 2021

I actually sat SQE 1 back in November and have been just fine getting through a number of application stages for firms. Most of them are clearly gearing up for SQE intakes as from this year they’re getting applications from all the people who only have the SQE as a choice.

• ℹ️

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For anyone who has not done well in applications, this cycle don't worry here is why.

Yesterday I attended a networking event and on my way back some guy came up to me on the train and said you are Asil right and I was suspicious at first but then he said he knows me from Linkedin.

We started talking about applications and stuff and he is a future trainee solicitor at Slaughter and May and he said that when he had his Slaughter and May interview they told him that the application numbers this cycle has gone up so high that everyone from every sector is now getting into corporate law. He said don't be hard on yourself as you might have got a TC 2 years ago but this cycle the application demand has gone up so much that it is crazy. Also, he said that the application demand for consulting is a lot worse than corporate law.

I just want to ask a question do you lot think the application demand will still be this high next application or will it increase even more or will the number of applications go down a bit next application cycle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.