TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
I’ve been invited to an AC for a direct TC and was given the option of 3 slots. The first two are in the next two weeks and the last one is in exactly a month. I picked the last one as this will be my first full-day AC so I wanted to the extra time to prep (I work full-time so can only prep on weekends).

The email invite recommends booking onto the earliest available assessment day that able to attend as recruitment is on a rolling-basis. Will I be adversely affected by going for the latest one- can this last slot be cancelled if TC spaces are filled in the first two? Does it become more competitive/harder at later AC slots? If so I might change to the one in two weeks.

Would really appreciate any advice.
I was massively conflicted on this too as one AC offered to me was in like 4 days and the other in 4 weeks (no spots left on the middle ones). So I asked for advice and I was told that firms usually guess well that they will have places left on the last AC. I ended up going the later one as a result and a lot of people in my AC got it so if you feel like you’d perform better on a later one then don’t be too worried about this!

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Is there anyone out there that still hasn’t heard from Mishcon? Or am I just weirdo standing alone in a field lol
    I’m still waiting. There are a bunch of firms like Travers, Mishcon, Gibson … etc etc, that have decided to reject you only about 1 month after they fill the spots for the vacation scheme. It annoys me so much I can’t even explain it

VacApplicant

Feb 11, 2022
    I was massively conflicted on this too as one AC offered to me was in like 4 days and the other in 4 weeks (no spots left on the middle ones). So I asked for advice and I was told that firms usually guess well that they will have places left on the last AC. I ended up going the later one as a result and a lot of people in my AC got it so if you feel like you’d perform better on a later one then don’t be too worried about this!
    I had the option for 3 AC slots 2 being at the beginning of January and one being mid February. I chose the February one and got the Vac Scheme offer eventually so I don't think it's a massive disadvantage. Do what will mean you're best prepared and perform best.

Reactions: aspiringlawyer123_

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it just me or is the word count for Withers' application really restrictive? The online form is basically saying I have 60ish words to answer each question (T_T)
    Its been like this for a couple of years now - I think it is a really clever form. Makes people focus on what's important!

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Is it just me or is the word count for Withers' application really restrictive? The online form is basically saying I have 60ish words to answer each question (T_T)
    Agreed. I get the idea behind it. Makes you focus on the things genuinely important to you. But I think 60 is a little extreme... At that point, you might as well go full Skadden and just stop asking any competency questions lol

Reactions: Asil Ahmad and Adrian_S

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    out of curiosity, what did Skadden ask??
    When I applied it was 2 questions. "any awards or scholarships" and "Your hobbies" - I felt like it was slightly elitist in that obviously the guy from Oxbridge with 2 scholarships and who participates in 15 societies would beat out the guy who can barely find any time out of school or uni because they have to work all week lol. It didn't feel like you could really tell the firm about who you truly are and your passion/skills clearly enough in my opinion.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    When I applied it was 2 questions. "any awards or scholarships" and "Your hobbies" - I felt like it was slightly elitist in that obviously the guy from Oxbridge with 2 scholarships and who participates in 15 societies would beat out the guy who can barely find any time out of school or uni because they have to work all week lol. It didn't feel like you could really tell the firm about who you truly are and your passion/skills clearly enough in my opinion.
    I would disagree that it is elitist - I think its about how you position yourself. I am the guy who could barely find time outside of school or uni because they had to work all week but I answer the hobbies questions by being very honest and saying I am limited to time because of the fact I worked 30+ hours a week alongside a full time LLB so I don't partake in sports or societies. However I would show how my part time job aligned to my interest in tech as I worked for a tech company and how it was quite a social job as I was in sales and working in London meant I spent my days talking to people of all different backgrounds and hearing some fantastic stories, I say how I would use the time commuting to read the news and listen to podcasts as I like to know what's going on in the world. IMO when law firms ask for your hobbies they aren't so bothered by what they are they are more thing to find out what motivates you.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    I would disagree that it is elitist - I think its about how you position yourself. I am the guy who could barely find time outside of school or uni because they had to work all week but I answer the hobbies questions by being very honest and saying I am limited to time because of the fact I worked 30+ hours a week alongside a full time LLB so I don't partake in sports or societies. However I would show how my part time job aligned to my interest in tech as I worked for a tech company and how it was quite a social job as I was in sales and working in London meant I spent my days talking to people of all different backgrounds and hearing some fantastic stories, I say how I would use the time commuting to read the news and listen to podcasts as I like to know what's going on in the world. IMO when law firms ask for your hobbies they aren't so bothered by what they are they are more thing to find out what motivates you.
    I agree to certain extent but that still passes over the scholarships and prizes question. Plus I have attended skadden open days and met with skadden associates and the diversity is pretty appalling. Part of that is the size but it’s definitely a reflection of the firms hiring practices being tailored to those who had a plan of action earlier on in life/had more recourses. You’re story is super impressive and honestly amazing in my eyes. But I really don’t think asking for scholarships or prizes is a great way of judging character or ability in my opinion. Nor is it a great way to diversify a firms hiring. Just my opinion though

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.