TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! While applying for a Direct TC, is it alright to reflect the skills in the application questions not through legal work experiences? I believe I do have ample legal work experience; however, I'm majorly talking about it in my work experience section. I thought that including the extra-curricular and co-curricular activities would ensure a more diverse application. Is this the right approach? Thanks! :D

Last edited:

Giovanna

Standard Member
  • Feb 12, 2021
    I've been doing research for potential direct TC applications that I wish to make and noticed that Kingsley Napley has the following answer to the "When can I apply?" question in their FAQs for their 2023 TC application:
    We currently recruit one year in advance. From November to May each year we accept applications for Training Contracts beginning in September of the following year. Candidates must ensure they hold either a law degree, LPC, GDL or equivalent such as a PgDip in Law before the commencement of their SQE training as part of the training contract (SQE 1 begins in January with SQE 2 beginning in April).

This might just be me being tired (it's been a long day!), but does this mean that as they're doing the SQE route, that there's no need for the completion of the LPC before starting - i.e. can 2023 graduates apply for commencement in September 2023? They say that candidates only need to hold a law degree by this point and mention integrating the SQE, but also call it a 'Training Contract' instead of 'Qualifying Work Experience' (which I believe would be the correct terminology for the SQE), suggesting that they're using the old (LPC) route instead and therefore that 2023 graduates wouldn't able to apply.

Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE: Just read that they have specified that they are starting the SQE pathway from 2023, but I'm still a little confused as to the timings of applications in this instance as it's such a new thing!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've been doing research for potential direct TC applications that I wish to make and noticed that Kingsley Napley has the following answer to the "When can I apply?" question in their FAQs for their 2023 TC application:

This might just be me being tired (it's been a long day!), but does this mean that as they're doing the SQE route, that there's no need for the completion of the LPC before starting - i.e. can 2023 graduates apply for commencement in September 2023? They say that candidates only need to hold a law degree by this point and mention integrating the SQE, but also call it a 'Training Contract' instead of 'Qualifying Work Experience' (which I believe would be the correct terminology for the SQE), suggesting that they're using the old (LPC) route instead and therefore that 2023 graduates wouldn't able to apply.

Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE: Just read that they have specified that they are starting the SQE pathway from 2023, but I'm still a little confused as to the timings of applications in this instance as it's such a new thing!!
    Sounds like you would be hired this summer, start the SQE prep course in January, sit SQE1 in April 2023, and if you passed go on the SQE2 prep in April, taking SQE2 sometime in the summer. The 2023 SQE assessment dates haven’t been announced yet by the SRA and so they must know specific timings to run to this schedule.

I wouldn’t get confused by them calling it a training contract. Technically training contracts haven’t existed for over a decade, it’s just a term commonly used that people are familiar with.

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    MAYER BROWN TC OFFER!!! I'm still in disbelief even after sleeping on it 😭 I've not always been the most active on the platform but so many people here have helped me with advice, insights and even just friendly words - thank to @Jaysen, the TCLA team and everyone that makes this forum what it is. I'll definitely be hanging around to try and pay it forward

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Morning everyone,
    So, it’s looking more and more likely I’m going to make some direct TC apps this cycle.
    is is the norm that to make a direct tc app I need to have 2 weeks of legal experience? Or is it 4 weeks - think I may have read that earlier in the forum?
    also what kind of legal experience is suitable? I have an in-house legal position coming up this summer in a tech company. - is this sufficient? Or does it have to be a VS/paralegal work? Tysm! 💚

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Morning everyone,
    So, it’s looking more and more likely I’m going to make some direct TC apps this cycle.
    is is the norm that to make a direct tc app I need to have 2 weeks of legal experience? Or is it 4 weeks - think I may have read that earlier in the forum?
    also what kind of legal experience is suitable? I have an in-house legal position coming up this summer in a tech company. - is this sufficient? Or does it have to be a VS/paralegal work? Tysm! 💚
    I would just put in your work experience legal/non legal I don’t think I would discuss future roles personally in case for whatever reason the in house legal position didn’t happen? And also because you haven’t don’t it there’s no experience to talk about yet?xx

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    MAYER BROWN TC OFFER!!! I'm still in disbelief even after sleeping on it 😭 I've not always been the most active on the platform but so many people here have helped me with advice, insights and even just friendly words - thank to @Jaysen, the TCLA team and everyone that makes this forum what it is. I'll definitely be hanging around to try and pay it forward
    Amazing news and congratulations!

Clapping Applause GIF

We look forward to you joining the Junior Lawyer Community and will appreciate any efforts to pay it forward.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi! While applying for a Direct TC, is it alright to reflect the skills in the application questions not through legal work experiences? I believe I do have ample legal work experience; however, I'm majorly talking about it in my work experience section. I thought that including the extra-curricular and co-curricular activities would ensure a more diverse application. Is this the right approach? Thanks! :D

Morning everyone,
    You don't need any legal work experience at all- however, it is crucial that you demonstrate you know how law firms work as a business, the role they play in a deal and the work that lawyers do in your applications form. The easiest way to do this is through legal work experience, but I have seen people (successfully) use their initiative in attending legal networking events, webinars, panel events etc. as a way around this too.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Outstanding, well done :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi all, my boyfriend (of 5 years) broke up with me over the weekend. Annoyingly it was the worst timing as I have had 4 interviews this week. I can tell that it is definitely impacting my performance and am worried that I have jeopardised my chance of securing a TC. I feel that its a rather woeful excuse to be telling graduate recruitment. Do you have any advice on how to proceed? Or is it just a matter of having to get back out and apply some more?
    I echo everyone else in expressing how sorry I am to hear this. You have received some great advice from other members of the forum but I'd just like to add that we are all here to support you with whatever approach you choose to take going forward! Please do reach out if there is anything you would like to discuss 🤝

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.