TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
Say if I have a TC starting in 2024, will the firm be likely to allow me to take the SQE course in September 2022? What about at a location outside London if that's my preference due to personal circumstances?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Say if I have a TC starting in 2024, will the firm be likely to allow me to take the SQE course in September 2022? What about at a location outside London if that's my preference due to personal circumstances?
If they have an agreement to start such courses in 2022 (rather than 2023) then yes they might. Just be aware that the SQE2 exams are only sat in the UK though and that if they have a specific course, you might only be able to study it from within the UK.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
If they have an agreement to start such courses in 2022 (rather than 2023) then yes they might. Just be aware that the SQE2 exams are only sat in the UK though and that if they have a specific course, you might only be able to study it from within the UK.
Thanks Jessica, yes I was thinking if it is possible that the firm would allow me to take the course in, say, Manchester or Cambridge, instead of London?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica, yes I was thinking if it is possible that the firm would allow me to take the course in, say, Manchester or Cambridge, instead of London?
The course might only be running in London though - it really depends on who their provider is and how the course is delivered.

You can ask during the recruitment process though or when offered what their stance is on these things.

Reactions: AvniD and AAA_a

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I think practice areas and industry expertise are probably the best metric to use! I am not sure if intake size would be relevant to whether or not firms are competing and global growth strategy would be relevant if the firms are expanding into similar areas to one another, but there is probably a reason for expanding into those areas that comes back to the kind of work (i.e. practice area/industry) they would be doing in such locations.

Ultimately the firm's 'competitors' are other firms which will be competing for the same clients, which tends to come down to practice area and industry strengths. I hope that helps!
Thank you @James Carrabino, you are an angel.

I am taking into account:
1)increasing importance in x industry because of the firm's ability to extend its services from simple litigation to finance and can compete with MC firms.
2) International strategy
3) Growth plan with an increasing focus on tech.

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Weird question: Does anyone have a favourite quiet place to write (applications) somewhere in central London?
    The Wellcome Collection library is great, it's near Euston/Warren Street way and there are often a lot of students studying there. They also have a silent section to study/work in as well, and a cafe for your good old caffeine fix!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Weird question: Does anyone have a favourite quiet place to write (applications) somewhere in central London?
    It sounds strange, but I always found pubs the quietest place to work. Much quieter than coffee shops.

A few pubs have even started to think about this and offer unlimited free soft drinks/coffee, lunch and book you tables near power sockets.

I regularly used to use one of my local pubs this way (although only available Mon-Fri):

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    It sounds strange, but I always found pubs the quietest place to work. Much quieter than coffee shops.

A few pubs have even started to think about this and offer unlimited free soft drinks/coffee, lunch and book you tables near power sockets.

I regularly used to use one of my local pubs this way (although only available Mon-Fri):

Hey! I have not been there, but my friends often go to the British Library (which is located in between Euston station & King's Cross Station)

thank you lot so much!!

Reactions: OB and GXA123

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    In times of recessions, application numbers always go up. People just hedge their bets with more job applications. At the same time, the visa process in the UK has changed, meaning it is actually easier to higher international applicants than it ever was before. That has undoubtedly increased application numbers for firms too.

However, from what I hear, it isn't all moving in the same direction. Application numbers are dropping in places because of a mixture of the following reasons:
    • Brexit - lower student numbers, lower numbers of EU people living/working in the UK
    • Gen Z's career choices - fewer people want to work in large corporate powerhouses than previous generations. Other careers where you can have more of a positive impact socially or grow much quicker than you would do in a large international law firm have grown in popularity
    • Impact of Covid - it has really shaken up people's priorities. And for many that means working in a different way or pursuing a different career.
    • Less candidates where more are going on to do postgraduate study
    • The UK being a less attractive place to live than it once was
    • The SQE opening up alternative qualification opportunities
    However, I am sure with the cost of living going through the roof and inflation about to explode, people may look to pursue the highest paid jobs where they seek more financial security and that will draw more people to law.

But applications to the legal sector have always been high and I don't think it has actually got much harder to pursue the career now than it would have been in 2007, 2008-9, 2012, 2019 or now.

The legal sector is also pretty buoyant at the moment - firms are hiring more people than they have been for the last two years, with many topping up their 2022 and 2023 hiring numbers while recruiting for 2024. We haven't really seen that since 2011-12. From the latest figures, there are more TCs now than there were in 2018/2019, and that won't include the SQE opportunities also opening up.

So I look at this slightly differently. To me, it is actually an excellent time to try and get into the profession. There are more opportunities than ever before. This feeling it is more competitive just comes from on average people are making more applications (but they can only accept one job at a time).

I don't think the application demand will ever fall (it never has). What is more likely to go up or down is the number of jobs available though. And at the moment, that is only on the way up in the legal sector.
    Thank you very much for this detailed post.

Sorry for the late response.

I did not know about this and did not take into account factors such as Brexit.

Also thank you very much this post actiually motivated me.

GeorgieW

Dec 17, 2021
    just realised I never did the Fieldfisher online assessment! what an idiot!!
    there's been so much to juggle (first cycle while also working full-time) and it just slipped through the cracks :(
    not going to let it get me down but do feel a little stupid for putting effort into an application and then not even giving myself a shot with the online assessment 🤡

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I agree, that is very true. My counter however would be that only a tiny minority of students from any background receive scholarships. So if you want to provide opportunities for those from disadvantaged communities to apply, I think you’re better off going through groups such as RARE, Bright Network or Aspiring Solicitors, who offer much more opportunities and spots than scholarships often do. Also, I can speak from experience that being disadvantaged often means your late to the game. If you don’t have a figure in your life telling you to apply for a scholarship or get those grades, or you don’t have the time if you’ve been balancing commitments alongside your studies, then you won’t. I was 23 by the time I realised I wanted to go into law. Well passed the age of applying to university scholarships sadly. But groups like RARE and BN have been amazing for me, and the firms engaging with those groups are the only ones who have given me a chance…
    These are all great points. I wonder whether ultimately the firm in question simply did not think it through enough, but I do imagine it can be uncomfortable coming across an application form where you feel that you are simply unable to answer one of the questions!

• 🤝
    Reactions: rightletsdothis

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Thank you. How could it work in your favour?
    Essentially they may have compared you against a smaller sample size and think that you would make the cut now, before finding out that there are preferable candidates later, or vice versa. The sample size may be smaller even if they have already interviewed everyone, if they do not yet have feedback on many of those candidates. Essentially they will be basing their decision off of less information which could either help or hurt you.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Would you mind explaining what you mean by early decision? Haven't heard about this before!
    Sometimes candidates have to ask for an early decision (for example, if they have a deadline by which they need to respond to a VS or TC offer from another firm). It is at the firm's discretion whether or not they give an early decision.

Reactions: lawnoob

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Do holding emails after final interviews usually mean rejection if some candidates have already received responses? Surely if you’re successful they’d tell you rather than wait..
    My guess is that a holding e-mail would be for one of two reasons. It could be that your interviewers have not yet sent their feedback to grad rec, or it could be that you are in a pool that they are taking more time to assess after weighing up business need.

If other candidates have already received responses, then I would assume you are not one of the highest-ranked candidates, nor have you been rejected yet - otherwise there would be no reason to be kept on hold. It's not a rejection until it's a rejection; I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.