TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
To all the vac schemers who aren't based in London, how are you guys sorting out accommodation for the period of your schemes? AirBnB? Uni private hall accommodation? Subletting? What is the most financially viable option?
I went for airbnb for my upcoming summer scheme. I'd advise booking early, ie as soon as you get the offer - I managed to bag an airbnb near london bridge for cheap. I got lucky because I received my summer VS offer in January, meaning airbnbs were there for the taking.

However you should be able to find viable airbnbs nearly anywhere in London, even if you need to commute to your firm from an outer district.

Have also heard of people taking uni accommodation for schemes.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    To all the vac schemers who aren't based in London, how are you guys sorting out accommodation for the period of your schemes? AirBnB? Uni private hall accommodation? Subletting? What is the most financially viable option?
    I’d also check if the firm offers to pay for your accommodation! I know quite a few firms down here in London pay for both travel and if you live far away enough, hotels or apartments etc !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a question of slightly different nature - I recently received an offer for a place on a vac scheme. Grad rec said they would send me the documents the next day, but they have not.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Would it be better to wait a little longer, or send them an email? @Jessica Booker would you have any insights into this as well?
    I’d wait until a week has passed and then email them asking when you will receive the offer documents.

All it takes is for someone to be off sick and a typically 1 day turnaround turns into a longer period of time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This previous post will give you some info:

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Hey guys, about how long post AC should one wait for before contacting grad rec? Had an AC more than a month ago and still silence. Also, are PFOs post-ACs usually emailed or called?
    Emailed and finally heard back, unfortunately was a PFO and that’s all the rejections for my first cycle! Didn’t go as planned but everyone’s support and advice on this forum really helped me. Will try again next cycle for sure 😄

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does asking for an early decision following an AC mean they're more likely to reject you there and then?
    It’s not as binary as that. It could, depending on the circumstances, work in your favour. But at the same time if you are asking them to come to a decision now, it maybe the case it is a no based on what they have to factor in now rather than later down the line.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.