TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paaris

• Dec 18, 2020
    I have just received a rejection from Ashurst but have been waiting for them to get back to me (which they said they would) as their games assessment froze on me. I took a video to show the timer and graphics had frozen and at first they said they reset it, but they hadn't reset it. Instead, they extended the deadline for the ones I didn't complete. So I emailed them to let them know and they said they would sort it.

Any point in me saying anything or just take the rejection on the chin?

Reactions: StudentOfLaw21

GOI983

Esteemed Member
    Sep 15, 2021
    I just got an email from Ashurst saying that they would get back to me at the end of May - I don’t know how to take that. I just want them to give me an interview - I JUST WANNA BE GIVEN A CHANCE ALREADY - I am tired of this
    I got this holding email also 😂. Hopefully it’s positive, I assumed everyone got this really but coming on this thread has shown that I was wrong 😳

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ashurst PFO. Just wanted an opinion on something. How realistic is it that Ashurst are not able to fill their ACs/places and turn my rejection into an interview invite? Has this ever happened in the history of TCs ever?
    Highly unlikely in all honesty. They can always recruit people next year if they struggle to fill their spots. It could obviously happen, but I wouldn’t get any hopes up of it doing so and would just advise focusing on other applications.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Hey! I have an interview coming up in August (I was given the dates already), but I will be working full-time then as intern. I am doing an internship at a company I really like and am worried that taking time off (4 days in total) to interview elsewhere will ruin my chances with the first company. For those here who work full-time, what do you usually do when you have an interview? And if you take time off do you tell your current workplace why?

I am assuming that grad rec won't be able to offer interviews outside standard working hours

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey! I have an interview coming up in August (I was given the dates already), but I will be working full-time then as intern. I am doing an internship at a company I really like and am worried that taking time off (4 days in total) to interview elsewhere will ruin my chances with the first company. For those here who work full-time, what do you usually do when you have an interview? And if you take time off do you tell your current workplace why?

I am assuming that grad rec won't be able to offer interviews outside standard working hours
    Is the assessment four days or just to be held at some point over a four day period?

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Is the assessment four days or just to be held at some point over a four day period?
    There is a mandatory workshop for 2 full working days, first round interviews (3 interviews in one day), and final round interviews (3 interviews in one day).

I have enough paid time off, but I'm not sure whether taking days off will be seen in a negative light and influence final decisions re job offers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There is a mandatory workshop for 2 full working days, first round interviews (3 interviews in one day), and final round interviews (3 interviews in one day).

I have enough paid time off, but I'm not sure whether taking days off will be seen in a negative light and influence final decisions re job offers.
    Wow - they don't do things by halves!

How long with you have been in the internship by the time you need this time off and how long is the internship for?

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Wow - they don't do things by halves!

How long with you have been in the internship by the time you need this time off and how long is the internship for?
    Yeah it's definitely thorough! It's consulting, not law, so not sure if that's standard practice there.

The internship is 8 weeks. I'd need the 2 days off 4 weeks into the internship. First round interviews will be in week 7, and final round interviews will be either on the last or second-to-last day of my internship.

If grad rec don't mind shifting the interview dates slightly it could work out quite well: the first round interviews start one day after a Monday bank holiday in Scotland (not the rest of the UK) when I could do the interview, and if they can push the final stage interviews a day later it won't clash with my internship. If this works out then I'd only need 2 days off.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.