TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Diane01

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    @Jessica Booker

Morning Jessica! Just wondering, in relation to the question "If you could ask two people to dinner from any period in history, who would they be and why?" what are firms looking for in response to this? Are there key points I should be considering, or are they just trying to understand what my interests are?

TIA!

Reactions: George Maxwell

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Have an upcoming interview & the only available slot is for 6AM Eastern Time on a Monday (11AM GMT)

Would it reflect badly if I emailed the recruitment team to inquire if they can accommodate a later slot? Regardless of sleeping earlier the Sunday before and drinking coffee or whatever else, I can’t help but feel such an early start might affect the energy I bring to the interview.
    I am of the idea that asking does not hurt anyone and costs nothing, so try:)

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Have an upcoming interview & the only available slot is for 6AM Eastern Time on a Monday (11AM GMT)

Would it reflect badly if I emailed the recruitment team to inquire if they can accommodate a later slot? Regardless of sleeping earlier the Sunday before and drinking coffee or whatever else, I can’t help but feel such an early start might affect the energy I bring to the interview.
    You can always ask but be prepared for them to say no if it is the last slot.

Perhaps go for a short walk before to wake you up a bit? I understand it’s a far from ideal time but unfortunately there’s also times in practice when you have meetings at stupid times so it may be one of those times you just have to buckle down and give it your best :/ good luck!!

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    Anyone know if you can apply for a direct TC after applying for a vac scheme in the same cycle?

I am looking at White & Case in particular - i applied for their summer vac scheme and now want to apply for their direct TC but not sure if I am allowed and don't want to waste my time if I will get rejected for applying twice in the same cycle.

Reactions: George Maxwell

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021
    Anyone know if you can apply for a direct TC after applying for a vac scheme in the same cycle?

I am looking at White & Case in particular - i applied for their summer vac scheme and now want to apply for their direct TC but not sure if I am allowed and don't want to waste my time if I will get rejected for applying twice in the same cycle.
    I think White&Case does allow you to apply for both in the same cycle!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    @Jessica Booker

Morning Jessica! Just wondering, in relation to the question "If you could ask two people to dinner from any period in history, who would they be and why?" what are firms looking for in response to this? Are there key points I should be considering, or are they just trying to understand what my interests are?

TIA!
    Hi @A.Diane01,

I am sure Jess will get back to you quickly! My thoughts are that firms ask this sort of question primarily to encourage candidates to show their creativity, clarity of writing and ability to reason/persuade. They are also looking to find out more about applicants' personalities, so feel free to be authentic in your choices(!).

If you can justify your choices in a clear, convincing manner, then your answer should score well. I do not think that firms are looking for anything in particular.

In one assessment centre (from what I remember), we were asked to assume a character (fictional or real) and argue, in 1 minute, why we should be made CEO of a fictional company. I picked Amanda Gorman (the first US National Youth Poet Laureate) and was progressed to the next round! Others who were also successful picked Michele Obama and Jose Mourinho - so I hope this shows that a variety of answers to these sorts of questions are acceptable!

I would love to hear who are you currently thinking of naming and why!

Hey @Lawyered22,

I think that @thirdtimelucky makes a great point here. I see no issues at all with asking, I think that it is a reasonable request, but definitely be prepared for them to say no.

Hope that helps 🚀
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any general advice on how I should format my CV for the slaughter + may TC app? Any help/resources would be really appreciated
    Hey @Tanyakaur11,

Are you looking for specific template advice, or just which sections to go for? Broadly when I applied, I split my CV into the following subsections:

Education

Work Experience

Leadership Experience

Skills/Interests

This was successful, but I definitely think there are many (effective) ways of formatting a CV.

One place to look for a specific template is to ask your university career's service if they have a CV template that they can give you!

I have also had a trawl through the forum for some useful CV tips!
    • Jaysen's CV tips and an article
    • A thread dedicated to Slaughter and May applications (albeit from 2018)

Please feel free to reach out if you would like further help with anything 💪

Hey @ola830,

One place to look is the Graduate Recruitment FAQ section on their website. That being said, often this isn't easy to find, or it is left unmentioned. In this case, posting on here is a great start. However, if you still are unsure, I would recommend emailing or phoning the firm directly!

• Love
    Reactions: A.Diane01 and IT7

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Hi all, does anyone know if penultimate year law students are allowed to apply for Hogan Lovells 2024 direct TC (deadline: 31 july 2022)? Or is this application window only open to final year law students graduating this year?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

TIA!
    It’s hard to say what the firm is specifically looking for as it could be a range of things.

However, I would expect it is to just find out more about you - your interests, whether you are an interesting person, whether you can present original ideas.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.