How badly does the advocacy assessment have to go for you to fail?(Ulaw)

hrb_pg

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
Hi, did my advocacy assessment today.

I think I made decent and relevant submissions but I feel as thought I stuttered or stumbled a lot especially when answering the judges question. Nerves.

I also think I spoke a lot- judge said I spoke within the time limits and said I should finish. I suppose it’s better to have more points and deeply in depth rather than being way too short and not saying much(my mock feedback was the latter, so I tried to substantially increase the persuasive element of my submissions)

I also know I got the grounds right at least(CPR 24.2 rules etc, Defendant has no real prospect etc). Not sure if there are marks for that or if that would even count as a legal analysis/application to case facts.

Basically feel like it went badly or not as good as I prepared.
I have reassurance that because I passed the mock, hopefully I do so here too. But was just really nerve racking, especially having to speak formal and what not.

Any reassurances will be helpful! Thanks

IK it is best to move on, look forward to my next exams, but if anyone had been in a similar situation re Adv, and passed it, I'd appreciate it.

hrb_pg

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
You’ve 100% passed if this is for the LPC! The standard is very low - even if you get the law wrong / stumbled, you’ll be fine!
Hi Lisa, thx for answering. Few follow up questions if you have the time

1)- Is this for ULaw? I know the adv assessment at BPP is easier/less pressure
2) Your response is very reassuring! However, I stumbled and rushed the concluding remarks(as I was finished with time, so I assumed I had to rush concluding the app too, tho I did mention the CPR rules and thanked the judge etc), would this jeopardise my assessment performance, or is it that the advocacy assessment standard is so low, that, by doing a decent intro, delving into the issues and stating the law/facts etc, I'd pass in all likilihood

Thank you, this is reassuring.

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021

2) Your response is very reassuring! However, I stumbled and rushed the concluding remarks(as I was finished with time, so I assumed I had to rush concluding the app too, tho I did mention the CPR rules and thanked the judge etc), would this jeopardise my assessment performance, or is it that the advocacy assessment standard is so low, that, by doing a decent intro, delving into the issues and stating the law/facts etc, I'd pass in all likilihood

This might not be the same as I did my LPC at BPP but based on what you are saying I think it's unlikely that you are going to fail. What you can do though is, if you have one, look at the grading criteria and try to give yourself marks - if it's the same as BPP and a pass is 50 and above, see if did well enough to achieve 50 marks. You will definitely be a lot harsher than the assessors though so keep that in mind. Also, remember that they don't know what you had prepared - sometimes it looks a lot better than you think.

Lastly, just relax. You can't change it now and all you can do is focus on your other assessments (there are plenty on the LPC!). You might be surprised on results day to find out that you stressed for nothing.

Reactions: hrb_pg

M&A

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Oct 5, 2019
The standard is not lower at BPP I don't think. In fact I have a close friend who gave wrong legal advice in the I&A assessment at Ulaw (was prompted by the actor "are you sure?") And still passed.
The skills are on a competent (50 or above)/non competent basis, and what you have to do to get 50 is not remotely difficult. It sounds you did more than enough.

hrb_pg

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
This might not be the same as I did my LPC at BPP but based on what you are saying I think it's unlikely that you are going to fail. What you can do though is, if you have one, look at the grading criteria and try to give yourself marks - if it's the same as BPP and a pass is 50 and above, see if did well enough to achieve 50 marks. You will definitely be a lot harsher than the assessors though so keep that in mind. Also, remember that they don't know what you had prepared - sometimes it looks a lot better than you think.
The standard is not lower at BPP I don't think. In fact I have a close friend who gave wrong legal advice in the I&A assessment at Ulaw (was prompted by the actor "are you sure?") And still passed.
The skills are on a competent (50 or above)/non competent basis, and what you have to do to get 50 is not remotely difficult. It sounds you did more than enough.
Thank you to you both.

Re M&A post, sorry if I indiciated that the standard was lower at BPP. That was not what I meant. I heard how for their assessment, it is just a recording, and you do not compete against a fellow opponent(as is the case at Ulaw), therefore, for me at least, making it seem more of a pleasant application process/assessment.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Stumbling and rushing alone won't make you fail, imo. And sometimes your perception of how badly/well you performed can be distorted because you're unable to put distance between your effort and its judgement. You've given it a good shot and preempting a grade, while tempting, is largely unhelpful because it feeds your anxiety about it. I'd suggest taking all the helpful information and advice in this thread, coupled with the fact that your performance had good substance to it, and try to focus on what's next for you in your degree and otherwise and not worry about this too much till you get your results. Wishing you the very best and keep us in the loop about how you get on!

• 🏆
Reactions: hrb_pg and M&A

M&A

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Oct 5, 2019
AvniD, love your response to this thread.

Hrb_pg, I see what you mean regarding recording. It is an easier experience, yes. However the standard is a bit higher in the sense that we submit on average more polished submissions... as we all record them several times until pressing send! So, the marker has a slighly higher benchmark expectation. (That is what I was told and yet the tutor told us not to worry too much and assured us that the live mock we had done, wobbles and all, had been enough to pass.)

I'm getting my queue from AvniD who gave you great advice. And of course, neither I nor anyone else can tell you your mark. However, going by experience it really seems extremely unlike that you will fail given what you reported and the required standard to be graded competent. I second the advice above to try to not dwell on it and carry on. The LPC is quite a marathon I have found. Very best of luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.