Ask 3 TCLA Application Reviewers Anything!

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @NatashaS98 in a case study how would you distinguish which issue is more important than others?
Hi @Crystal86 - I think the key issue tends to vary from case study to case study. Generally, I would advise looking at which aspects are particularly critical to the business or deal. By identifying what is at the crux of the business or deal, this will help you see what could make or break that deal.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    For the question "Please outline your most significant achievement to date and how this was achieved? The example you choose can be from within or outside your academic career."
    could I say "my most significant achievement is persisting with mooting despite working alone and losing my first moot" be good for an answer? This is something I feel is a big achievement for me, but don't exactly know how to word it.

Any help is much appreciated!

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 30, 2022
    Hi @confusedlawstudent. I think the way I would word this would be something along the line of 'My most significant achievement has been persisting with mooting despite facing hurdles such as having to work on my own and losing my first moot'.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How should I structure my answer to the question "What are you passionate about?"
    Hi @confusedlawstudent - I would focus on no more than three points, and try to ensure they are not too similar/interconnected points. You should identify what the point is and why you are passionate about it, and then can move on to the next point.

Reactions: Maria d'Orey

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Hi @confusedlawstudent - I would focus on no more than three points, and try to ensure they are not too similar/interconnected points. You should identify what the point is and why you are passionate about it, and then can move on to the next point.
    Thanks for the response! I was thinking of talking about chess and/or painting. Do I need to speak about skills I have gained from these passions and competitions I have won, or just why I am passionate about it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for the response! I was thinking of talking about chess and/or painting. Do I need to speak about skills I have gained from these passions and competitions I have won, or just why I am passionate about it?
    I would talk about both if you can.

You just have to explain why it is a passion, you don’t have to explain the skills you have gained from your passion.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    For the question If you have any additional information that you consider relevant to your application, please enter it here. (300 words), can I write about my year abroad and the skills and experiences I gained from it? Or is this section not really for that?

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Can I write about my passion for journalling as an answer to the question "Other than law, what is something you are passionate about?"
    I am passionate about it because: writing allows me to express my creativity; if I have a problem and write about it, it gives me clarity on the situation; and i love looking back at who I was years ago, and seeing how much I have improved.

There is another question asking about extra-curricular activities and interests so not sure whether it would be better for that. But I have already written about writing for the student newspaper and playing violin for that one. Just don't know where the line is drawn between an interest and passion.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Can I write about my passion for journalling as an answer to the question "Other than law, what is something you are passionate about?"
    I am passionate about it because: writing allows me to express my creativity; if I have a problem and write about it, it gives me clarity on the situation; and i love looking back at who I was years ago, and seeing how much I have improved.

There is another question asking about extra-curricular activities and interests so not sure whether it would be better for that. But I have already written about writing for the student newspaper and playing violin for that one. Just don't know where the line is drawn between an interest and passion.
    Hi @confusedlawstudent I've given my thoughts on this post in the vac scheme thread!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    For the question If you have any additional information that you consider relevant to your application, please enter it here. (300 words), can I write about my year abroad and the skills and experiences I gained from it? Or is this section not really for that?
    Add only that information that could directly impact your application, like mitigating circumstances, explanations for any gaps in your education/work experience etc.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Add only that information that could directly impact your application, like mitigating circumstances, explanations for any gaps in your education/work experience etc.
    oh no, i already submitted my application and i just wrote about my year abroad in it😫😫😫😫😫 is it just a given now that i won’t be accepted? 😭😭😭

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    oh no, i already submitted my application and i just wrote about my year abroad in it😫😫😫😫😫 is it just a given now that i won’t be accepted? 😭😭😭
    I don't think this is an issue for the outcome of your application as you have the freedom to include whatever information you like. I wouldn't worry too much about this!

Reactions: confusedlawstudent

Maria d'Orey

Star Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 30, 2022
    Hi @confusedlawstudent ,

I know I'm a bit late but just wanted to say that I completely agree with @AvniD here! If they were only looking for mitigating circumstances or any sort of specific information they would have mentioned this in the question. If you consider this to be relevant and showed why this is an experience that is important to you, this is most likely not going to be a problem.

Wishing you the best of luck! Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions 😊

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    Hi @Maria d'Orey ! I hope you can shed some light on your post-vac scheme interview process at Ashurst? I wonder if it is much like the vac scheme interview with a mixture of commercial and competency-based questions, or how/if it differs from the vac scheme interview? Additionally, if the interview is the only assessment for the tc at the end? :)

Reactions: Maria d'Orey

Maria d'Orey

Star Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 30, 2022
    Hi @Maria d'Orey ! I hope you can shed some light on your post-vac scheme interview process at Ashurst? I wonder if it is much like the vac scheme interview with a mixture of commercial and competency-based questions, or how/if it differs from the vac scheme interview? Additionally, if the interview is the only assessment for the tc at the end? :)
    Hi @time2work ! Thanks for your message, of course I can! 😄

I found the interview to be very different from the vac scheme interview. The partners barely asked me about my written application (as expected) - they only used them to start the interview (e.g. asked about my background as an international and non-law student). I also don't remember there being any competency-based questions.

About 60% of the interview consisted of commercial questions. They gave me a scenario on the spot (no need to read anything, just a few facts that they tell you during the interview) and asked me to highlight a few commercial issues that I would flag to the client. That's usually when the partners will pick on a few of the things that you said, so the key here is finding a balance between sticking to your initial argument and showing that you can also listen to other perspectives that you hadn't considered before.

They also asked me about my experience in the vacation scheme and to explain some of the tasks I had done/some of the things I had learnt about the firm. The only way to prepare for this is to take as many notes as possible during the vac scheme - make sure you ask for details about each task that you're given so that you can understand the bigger picture of the deal you're working on and how you're helping.

They also asked me a few morality/ethics questions and gave me a scenario-based question. My tip here would be to familiarise yourself with the SRA principles to understand how solicitors should act in unusual situations.

Lastly, a major difference between my vac scheme and post-vac scheme interviews was that the firm really reinforced that we needed to have a very strong and much more specific reason for wanting to work there. While there is only so much you can learn about a firm without having experienced the culture and work, after you spend a few weeks there the partners really want to see that you made the most out of the experience and that you have very personal reasons for wanting to join!

In general, I genuinely really enjoyed my post-vac scheme interview. I know this is an odd thing to say, but I was much more nervous for my vac scheme interview haha! In this one, I literally treated it as a conversation as much as possible. Speaking to as many people as possible during the vac scheme is a great tip as well, as it ended up that I had already briefly interacted with the partners that ended up interviewing me during the vac scheme.

Yes, the interview is the only assessment! Not sure if they will change this, but this was my experience!

I hope this helps!! 😊

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.