TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Hi,

I'm probably not the best example as I graduated a few years ago, but I was in the same position as you in my final year (except I finally figure out the process in April with one month left to go lol). Don't put yourself down, if I could go back and talk to final year me, I'd tell her that it's still possible to get legal experience and gain other transferable skills whilst chasing the Vs or TC! Delay is not denial!!

Firstly, change your mindset! It's November and Spring and Summer Vac Scheme applications are still open. A lot of Direct TCs haven't even opened yet (although some firms recommend doing their Vac Schemes if you don't have legal work experience). Take the time to research firms of interest, build on your commercial awareness etc. Feel free to put a post on the TC journey thread on the forum to hold yourself accountable! (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/forums/my-training-contract-journey.81/)

Secondly, just because your experience isn't the same as others, doesn't mean it's any less valuable. In terms of your experiences, don't count them out, you have an impressive range of experiences that prove you will have the skills firm desire. At a glance:

• Worked as a receptionist in a local family law firm for over a year (2019-2020) - Experience that exposed you to the legal industry. What tasks did you do here that you may need to do as a trainee?
    • Mooted in my university mooting society for 2 years - You probably gained skills that will help you in a dispute resolution seat! Plus doing it as an extracurricular proves your commitment!
    • Wrote articles for my university newspaper (which recently have included law related topics) - Demonstrated commerical awareness here and probably attention to detail! Did you have deadlines? Did you balance this with other commitments? You probably displayed good time-management skills!
    • Played violin in an orchestra from 2016-2020 - This shows you have creativity and other passions, as well as being able to learn new skills and work in a team!
    • Worked as a waitress in a restaurant - Shows you are good at working under pressure, attention to detail when remembering orders, being personable when talking to people which translates to good client relationship skills, did you have to show flexibility or deal with difficult customers? This is great too!
    • Worked as a barista - As above
    • Year abroad - Were you, working or studying? If you're planning to apply to global firms, this proves you are willing to try new/unfamiliar things and can be used to demonstrate your global outlook! Did you try to pick up a local language to help you get around?
    I typed a lot, but I'm sure you get the point. This forum is amazing with lots of resources and people willing to help. Don't count yourself out before you've started! Best of luck 💞
    Wow reading this has made me feel A LOT better. THANK YOU !!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: rose888 and traineedreamer

ALYH

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 17, 2021
    @ALYH those are super relevant issues to talk about. My top tips for picking current issues is researching the right sources that are well-suited to aspiring solicitors, like the FT, Watson's Daily, the TCLA newsletter etc.

The impact you discuss abolsutely does not have postive, as @Jessica Booker said, and the focus has to be both on the impact and how the firm can mitigate it or draw opportunities from it.

If you can find the link from past stories, you can definitely mention it!
    Thank you @AvniD and @Jessica Booker !!

Those are really helpful tips! Another question I have on current issues is, apart from those macro issues, would it be appropriate to also pick current issues that are quite specific and relatable to the firm. So for example, one of Reed Smith's core practice groups is Entertainment and Media. I was thinking to talk about the Google Privacy Sandbox as a current issue. Do you think that is too specific?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you @AvniD and @Jessica Booker !!

Those are really helpful tips! Another question I have on current issues is, apart from those macro issues, would it be appropriate to also pick current issues that are quite specific and relatable to the firm. So for example, one of Reed Smith's core practice groups is Entertainment and Media. I was thinking to talk about the Google Privacy Sandbox as a current issue. Do you think that is too specific?
    Sometimes specific can be impactful - it sometimes helps your application form stand out as not a lot of other candidates highlight the same topic.

You just have to make sure it isn't too niche and that it will be something that does answer the specific question being posed.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am just looking for some advice and insight. I am a final year law student, and I feel like I have absolutely no hope of getting a vacation scheme, let alone a direct training contract by the time I graduate. Most of my friends have had positions of leadership like committee roles in university societies and stuff like that, whereas I have nothing. I'm going to list all of my "experiences", and please tell me what you think. While this may seem surprising (since I am literally a law student), I actually only just fully decided I wanted to be a solicitor this summer, so I haven't really had the chance to go out and get experiences and stuff. But anyway, as it stands, this is what I've got:
    • Worked as a receptionist in a local family law firm for over a year (2019-2020)
    • Mooted in my university mooting society for 2 years
    • Wrote articles for my university newspaper (which recently have included law related topics)
    • Played violin in an orchestra from 2016-2020
    • Worked as a waitress in a restaurant
    • Worked as a barista
    • Year abroad
    Since I am fully committed to becoming a solicitor now, I have signed up for commercial awareness workshops and open days etc. but I just don't think it's enough to get me a training contract at the moment. Will it be at all possible?
    You don't need positions of leadership - you have excellent extra curriculars with your mooting and university newspaper work.

You also have a great mix of work experience that you can build upon with open days, insight programmes and vacation schemes.

All of what you have said makes it very possible!

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Should I assume Ashurst winter vac pfo? Or are they still offering ACs?
    Hiya, I applied for Ashurst winter vac too.

Applied: 07/10/22 (deadline day)
    Took Revelian values fit, emotify and cognify: 10/10/22 (scored 69% for cognify and 82% for emotify)
    Received AC invite: 20/10/22
    Took written case study assessment: 27/10/22 (this was held remotely and I did it from home connected to a Zoom meeting with a few other candidates)
    Interview (in person - London office): 01/11/22

They told us that they would review AC performance and let us know final results by end of next week (between 07/11/22 and 11/11/22). I think grad rec also mentioned that there are a few candidates who have booked in for the written tests/interviews next week but haven't sat for them yet. But grad rec didn't tell me whether they are still sending out invites.

Reactions: mariistm

refy

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    This may seem like a silly question, but how do GR go about selecting people to interview in terms of order? Do they split law/non-law? I've noticed that I tend to get invites quite late compared to people who've applied earlier, even when I've applied for early rolling deadlines, and I'm non-law?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with BPP? I need to speak to a current tutor for an academic reference. Thank you in advance😀

D

daisy_yawn

This may seem like a silly question, but how do GR go about selecting people to interview in terms of order? Do they split law/non-law? I've noticed that I tend to get invites quite late compared to people who've applied earlier, even when I've applied for early rolling deadlines, and I'm non-law?
    I don't know how GR select people but I'm non-law and I've received interviews fairly quickly so don't think it's necessarily that! It may just be random and it's best not to read too much into it (I think)!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.