TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherry777

Oct 29, 2022
Completely untrue! I had a 63 average and was still able to land a vacation scheme at a US firm, got to an AC for another firm and managed to get past the first stage for a few other firms.

I will say though that I went to a super competitive and tough uni but if you go to a russell group uni you should be ok!
What uni, I also have a 64 and I'm worried about this? All Russell Groups aren't ranked the same, I've noticed firms prefer certain ones.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
Feb 19, 2021
Idk, that doesn’t seem right whatsoever.
I know this year for the winter VS, they have 3 ACs and 10 candidates each have been invited to them which equals 30. And they also hold a spring and summer VS and altogether they give out 60 TCs so in my opinion, 8/9 doesn’t seem right.
Sorry about the maths, being nervous makes me get into a very mathematical mindset.😂😂
Ah fair enough! I remember last year I only had 5 other people in my AC and grad rec said 18 people overall had been invited to the WVS ACs. Also I said 8/9 only for WVS because I thought that was what you were specifically asking about - but I agree it's definitely have more spaces if you're looking at the complete cycle :)

dlaw2023

Oct 25, 2022
Eurghhhh - I don’t find this at all helpful.

Angry Fire GIF by Gerbert!

His view might be based on his experience at his law firm, but for the vast majority of firms a 64% average is going to be more than enough - and that’s including at other MC firms.

Don’t listen to this dinosaur IMO.
Thank you so much for this, I literally got home and burst into tears and have spent the last few hours quite upset. Really really needed to hear this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah my spring scheme contract has a clause which says I can't do it having accepted a TC elsewhere so would be scuppered if the WVS firm didn't let me extend singing. I may ask grad rec before actually accepting the VS although that's a bit cheeky ha
It is something you could do. You could ask the VS firm to also transfer you to a direct TC process if they are unwilling to bring you on the scheme (e.g. can they interview you for a direct TC now, instead of you having to wait for the vacation scheme to be completed).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What uni, I also have a 64 and I'm worried about this? All Russell Groups aren't ranked the same, I've noticed firms prefer certain ones.
Firms are unlikely to "prefer" certain RG universities. It may just come down to the number of applications they receive from those universities. I'd easily get 100s of applications from certain RG unis and less than 10 from other RG unis, which often made people think the firms I worked for had a preference for one uni over the other.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for this, I literally got home and burst into tears and have spent the last few hours quite upset. Really really needed to hear this!
I am sorry that one person's ignorant comments have made you feel like this. That's why I get angry about such comments - they are not true but they are also not helpful.

They aren't giving you anything to help or support you - even if there was any truth to it (I don't think there is), they are not helping you consider what the solutions to this could be (of which there are thousands of them, even though I don't think you even need a solution!).

They don't sound like a very good professional academic, and I bet that although they were a good lawyer, they were a rubbish supervisor if they have had this attitude their whole career. 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.