TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura1234

Premium Member
Jul 10, 2022
Not related to applications but I thought my question would reach a wider audience if I asked it on here. I am due to sit my first batch of LPC exams in January. Does anyone have any revision tips on how best to revise for my exams? It will be the core modules of BLP, PLP and civil and criminal litigation. Any advice and insights would be absolutely appreciated.
Hello,

Congratulations on deciding to go for the LPC! Although it can be quite challenging, you will have learned a lot by the time you're done.

As someone already mentioned, you might want to get your hands on notes from previous LPC graduates (try Stuvia, Studocu or Bridgette's Notes). However, from my experience, your most reliable source is the structure for answering questions provided in the modules themselves (at least for BPP). As long as the exams are open book, the LPC is not about memorising stuff but learning how to apply what you've learned. Also, you should attempt the practice exams offered by the university and read what the assessors are looking for (again that's generally that you follow the structure in the modules).

Finally, stick to your own path. At times, the LPC can be stressful because you might feel like your peers are ahead of you. Focus on your plan of action and remember that people learn in different ways and at different paces. You can talk to your tutor if you need advice (they're there to help you).

Hope that helps.

• 🤝
Reactions: cyberjaz1116 and AvniD

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Just failed to meet the benchmark in HSF verbal reasoning and SJT test. Does anyone here have any resources to share to practice these kind of tests? So gutted rn after submitting such a strong application :(
It’s a BS test Imo - spent hours in the app just to fail it and I regularly score 99th percentile and get 100% on WGs, similar thing with video interviews where u have to speak to a screen awkwardly. I think it’s just the personality thing that is rather arbitrary I do not think what people say they will do in a certain situation whilst applying for a vc is necessarily indicative of their actual personality. At least the verbal reasoning section and WG probbaly has some correlation to g.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Just failed to meet the benchmark in HSF verbal reasoning and SJT test. Does anyone here have any resources to share to practice these kind of tests? So gutted rn after submitting such a strong application :(
Hi @TraineeCityLawyer, I used to struggle with these tests as well and completely understand your frustration. I'm linking some resources below that I'm hoping will help!
  1. Avni's best tips for the WG
  2. Dan's WG cheat sheet
  3. Avni's best tips for scenario based tests
  4. Jess' insight on ways to approach SJTs

Reactions: MG1996 and Uvaia

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Not related to applications but I thought my question would reach a wider audience if I asked it on here. I am due to sit my first batch of LPC exams in January. Does anyone have any revision tips on how best to revise for my exams? It will be the core modules of BLP, PLP and civil and criminal litigation. Any advice and insights would be absolutely appreciated.
Using a combination of legacy notes + tutorial notes + notes from reading will create a fairly exhaustive resource that you can revise from thoroughly. If your exams are open book, then ensuring that using tabs appropriately and marking the pages that you know you'll inevitably need to refer to is important. I'd revise your core material at least a few times before then doing practice papers- this is a crucial step, do not miss it! Practice papers will help you identify any gaps in your knowledge and how you can apply the information you've read to your answers.

Best of luck- I hope your exams go wonderfully!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I wrote my Vinson & Elkins cover letter to be one page, however I just went onto the portal to start submitting and it says maximum 2 pages for the cover letter, does this mean they are expecting it to be 2 pages?
Absolutely does not have to be two pages based on that wording but if you know you have more space now, is there something you'd like to add? If you feel your cover letter is robust as it is, then don't be deterred by the 2 page max limit if you want to submit!

Reactions: aniraz

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hello! For Q1 of A&O Summer VS (Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)), should we connect the key skills and qualities back to our work experience? Any help would be appreciated :)

@Jessica Booker

You definitely can (and should!) link the skills and qualities you choose back to your work experience as a way to substantiate your answer, but you can also pick examples from broader experiences of volunteering, participating in uni societies, any extracurriculars etc. I hope this helps!

Reactions: cyberjaz1116

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys I need a little bit of advice. I completed Herbert Smith Freehills test, but for some reason this hasn’t been recorded on the system and my application has been withdrawn. Do you think the HR team will be understanding if I explain this?
I'd recommend emailing them to explain this- they may just send you another test! And let us know what they say 🤞

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
For the question “What are the top five skills you believe a trainee needs to be a successful commercial lawyer and why”, do I need to include examples of me showing those skills?
No, that would distract from the question as @Adam23 rightly put! I'd do something like state the skill ➡️ explain why you think it's important for success as a trainee ➡️ back it up with how you know this (through an open day, webinar, work ex etc.)

law23

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    I had an email on Wednesday (7/12) from Clyde & Co saying they were reviewing my VI - can anyone tell me how long they had to wait to receive a response from them after they received this email? Itching to hear back!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone!

Was wondering if someone could please advise re the Skadden VS applic?

Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application (250).
    Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work (250).

Regarding these two questions, how would one separate content? Many of my positions of responsibility and achievements have been tied to my interests and hobbies, so I'm unsure how to approach separating these and giving balanced answers.

Any advice is much appreciated - thanks!
    I would silo the first question for strictly academic and university or work-related achievements. For the second, I would include those interests that don't necessarily attract prizes or awards and take place outside if your school/work environment- say playing a sport, cooking, painting etc. The divisions aren't strict as such but I do hope they help you separate the categories!

• Love
    Reactions: lik0401

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    I have known firms to have a lower benchmark than this - lowest I have heard/seen is the 17th percentile

A percentile doesn't necessarily explain a lot, unfortunately. All it says is how you compare against the norm group you have been assessed against. But this norm group could be anything from the general population through to partners within the firm - so if you were assessed again the latter, I would expect your percentile ranking to be lower than if you were assessed against the former.

Normally I would say that a pass mark for a WG percentile ranking is usually between the 30th and 65th percentile though.
    Thank you for this and to everyone else for all the responses. As this was for a direct training contract position I suspect this may have had a bearing on my percentile ranking. All I can do now is work on the WG if I need for future apps :) Any tips would be appreciated if people could PM me

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    What is a good result to get for Taylor wessing’s arctic shores? Has anyone spoken to their GR at all? Do they consider the test alongside your written application or is there a benchmark to meet?

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    What is a good result to get for Taylor wessing’s arctic shores? Has anyone spoken to their GR at all? Do they consider the test alongside your written application or is there a benchmark to meet?
    Did you get an overall result after the test? I just got a report showing personality strengths/weaknesses, and I think they then compare those to personalities that typically succeed at the firm, but I don't know if it's in terms of a benchmark or what the ideal profile would be.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.