TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Does anyone know for Latham's VI, do they operate a benchmark, like as long as you meet the benchmark you will get the AC? Or they will pick the best answers?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Does anyone know for Latham's VI, do they operate a benchmark, like as long as you meet the benchmark you will get the AC? Or they will pick the best answers?
Out of interest, how would you define a benchmark for a VI? It feels much harder than defining a benchmark for a certain mark in the WG, for example. Genuinely curious.

Reactions: lawapplicant

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Does anyone know just *how good* you need to be to get an offer post-AC? Last year, for an AC that I didn't get an offer after, grad rec told me that my interview scored the highest marks and my written exercise was very good, and also that the interviewers said I was super easy to get along with etc. However, despite my feedback call being nothing but positive feedback, I still didn't get the offer (it wasn't a *massively* competitive stage either, in that ~20/40 got offers).

The one VS that I got last year came after the interviewers stated that they "loved" one of my ideas, and decided to implement it into their office/way of working. It feels like that is a pretty high standard to have to meet, and I'm quite worried about my upcoming ACs. @Jessica Booker any advice would be massively appreciated, or indeed anyone else who knows about this kind of thing. Thank you so much.

DimpledHopper

Star Member
Sep 20, 2021
How long should answers generally be to a q during a VI?
i mean for a live VI?
I think it depends on the Q you're asked (e.g. you can afford to talk a little longer for open ended questions like "tell me about yourself") but generally 1-3mins is good. You don't want to be too brief otherwise your answers come across as too superficial but equally you don't want to be talking for too long because you want to show that you can communicate concisely. But honestly I've never paid attention to how long it takes me to answer a Q during an interview (and I don't think my interviewers counted the minutes either). Just focus on giving a structured and concise answer and you'll be good! A final thing to note is that you don't want to be talking too fast. Practice with friends/family and see if they fully understand what you're saying. I didn't realise I speak very fast during interviews until I practiced with friends and family and got their feedback. Interviewers have to listen to your answers, understand it and think of follow up questions pretty much at the same time. Make their lives easier by speaking clearly and slowly so they catch everything you're saying!

Reactions: mdoeslaw

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I had a partner interview Friday, in which one of the questions was 'what would you be looking to do if there was not a career path in any area of law', to which I answered diplomacy. The interview was an hour long and we spent the next 20 mins talking about the Russo-Ukraine War, I understand that two-way conversations within the interview are a good sign. However, the conversation around Russia was mainly historical and I am wondering whether this would be looked down on, should I have tried to steer the direction of the conversation to a more legal/commercial footing? Or is it ok to just go along with wherever the interviewers take the conversation?

I am not sure as to whether I am thinking too much about it, but I wondered whether it could have been a test to see if I was able to steer the conversation back to a more commercially focused one.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    I had a partner interview Friday, in which one of the questions was 'what would you be looking to do if there was not a career path in any area of law', to which I answered diplomacy. The interview was an hour long and we spent the next 20 mins talking about the Russo-Ukraine War, I understand that two-way conversations within the interview are a good sign. However, the conversation around Russia was mainly historical and I am wondering whether this would be looked down on, should I have tried to steer the direction of the conversation to a more legal/commercial footing? Or is it ok to just go along with wherever the interviewers take the conversation?

I am not sure as to whether I am thinking too much about it, but I wondered whether it could have been a test to see if I was able to steer the conversation back to a more commercially focused one.
    I could be wrong but I think its good that you showed you can talk about something outside of the law and have what seems to be a genuine interest.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.