Why have you chosen to become a solicitor? - Application question.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some clarity on this question:

Why have you chosen to become a solicitor? What relevant skills do you possess? (200 words)

Given this question is 200 words and wants me to cover why I want to become a solicitor AND what skills I possess, I have basically jumped straight into why I want to be a commercial solicitor specifically (it's a commercial firm that I am applying for.)

Do you think this is acceptable? Or should I make more effort to explain why I want to be a solicitor generally?

I'm trying to do it in 100 words to leave room for the skills.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some clarity on this question:

Why have you chosen to become a solicitor? What relevant skills do you possess? (200 words)

Given this question is 200 words and wants me to cover why I want to become a solicitor AND what skills I possess, I have basically jumped straight into why I want to be a commercial solicitor specifically (it's a commercial firm that I am applying for.)

Do you think this is acceptable? Or should I make more effort to explain why I want to be a solicitor generally?

I'm trying to do it in 100 words to leave room for the skills.

Thanks!

No - you can focus on being a commercial solicitor.

You can intertwine the motivations and skill set - you don’t have to answer one half with 100 words, and the other half with the remaining word count.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.