Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Yeah just use a wider time span. I do put specific dates next to all events and open days though for authenticity and as a sort of proof that i went to them if they were to ever check, which they almost certainly wouldn't but just in case :)

Do you bullet point each event? Do you just summarise what you learnt/what it entailed?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Do you bullet point each event? Do you just summarise what you learnt/what it entailed?
    I just wrote the title of the event alongside the firm it was with and the date. I do the same for open days as well because firm’s typically know what happens at open days so you don’t need the details or what you learned as it’s not especially relevant. What I have done, however, is if I’ve had an open day at the firm I’m applying to I do a separate work experience entry for the open day itself and write about what I leaned and got out of the day because it’s directly applicable to them. This has been well received by firms I had ACs with :) Be mindful not to describe the day but also be analytical, just as you need to be in the entire app. So relate how the things you learned were significant and why these matter to you and why you’ve come to make an app :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I just wrote the title of the event alongside the firm it was with and the date. I do the same for open days as well because firm’s typically know what happens at open days so you don’t need the details or what you learned as it’s not especially relevant. What I have done, however, is if I’ve had an open day at the firm I’m applying to I do a separate work experience entry for the open day itself and write about what I leaned and got out of the day because it’s directly applicable to them. This has been well received by firms I had ACs with :) Be mindful not to describe the day but also be analytical, just as you need to be in the entire app. So relate how the things you learned were significant and why these matter to you and why you’ve come to make an app :)

Thanks Alice,

So just to clarify, you would simply put the title in but not detail anything about the event other than the date? However, if it was an open day/ insight event for the firm you are applying for, you would elaborate further?

Reactions: Alice G

HenryGirton

Jul 28, 2019
    I applied to Paul Hastings and still haven't heard anything from them yet.

I know Paul Hastings called some of their shortlisted candidates last week.

Also, I just received a Macfarlanes TC offer! Second cycle of applying and finally offered a TC at a great firm. For all those getting ready to apply for winter vacs and TC this autumn please don't give up!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Alice,

So just to clarify, you would simply put the title in but not detail anything about the event other than the date? However, if it was an open day/ insight event for the firm you are applying for, you would elaborate further?

Yes - this would be the best approach to take. You can separate out the firm you are then applying to and focus on how the open day helped your decision to then submit an application. There is absolutely no point telling them what the event consisted of, just what you learnt and how that shape does your motivations

Reactions: Alice G and Lumree

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Yes - this would be the best approach to take. You can separate out the firm you are then applying to and focus on how the open day helped your decision to then submit an application. There is absolutely no point telling them what the event consisted of, just what you learnt and how that shape does your motivations

Great, thank you!

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

Also, I just received a Macfarlanes TC offer! Second cycle of applying and finally offered a TC at a great firm. For all those getting ready to apply for winter vacs and TC this autumn please don't give up!

Congratulations!

Reactions: Jade

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Excellent news, well done Henry!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jade and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Huge congrats Henry!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Thanks Alice,

Yeah, exactly, that’s been my approach :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Congratulations!! An incredible achievement and thank you for motivating us all for this cycle! :) :)

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 26, 2018

That's great. Congratulations!

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

Would be great to hear more about your story on this page: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/training-contract-success-stories.1404/page-2

I know I could do with the motivation as I enter my second cycle!

Roland

Distinguished Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    For those who are still waiting to hear back from Travers Smith for a direct TC 2021, their grad recruitment emailed me yesterday and said they will aim to get back to everyone within the next month as they have a high number of applications to read through.

For Trowers & Hamlins direct TC, they will start replying from w/c 9 Sept (which is now).

Joe R

Standard Member
    Dec 3, 2018
    For those who are still waiting to hear back from Travers Smith for a direct TC 2021, their grad recruitment emailed me yesterday and said they will aim to get back to everyone within the next month as they have a high number of applications to read through.

For Trowers & Hamlins direct TC, they will start replying from w/c 9 Sept (which is now).

FYI, after applying last October (!!!) for a direct TC at Travers and having given up on them ages ago, got an email today inviting me to interview so yeah they are getting back to ppl now

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.