Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Give me an example
Disgusting. You want one? I'll give you three.

One of the main ways that minorities have been advocating for equal opportunities is through activism and protests. To discredit all the work of our ancestors is truly abhorrent. Activists have organised marches, sit-ins, and other forms of nonviolent resistance to bring attention to the inequalities that minorities face and to demand change. This has been a powerful tool in raising awareness and creating momentum for change, and has been used in many successful social justice movements in the past.

Another way that minorities have been fighting for equality of opportunity is through the legal system. Many minority groups have sued employers, schools, and government agencies for discrimination, and have used the courts to challenge policies and practices that they believe are unfair or unjust.

Additionally, minorities have also been working to increase their representation in positions of power, such as in government, media, and business. This is seen as important because having individuals from diverse backgrounds in positions of power can help to ensure that policies and practices are fair and just for everyone.

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
Well, do you have anything to suggest otherwise? I mean you guys are making the claim that discrimination is rampant and pervasive so the burden of proof is on you to show that the current candidates in the positions are not as qualified
Look at partner makeup at any top law firm or bank and then compare the makeup to associates and interns. Unless you are claiming that specific skin colour or gender makes you better at law, I don't know what 'merit' you are referring to.

Reactions: Uvaia and hanz123

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
No, intention matters. Any layperson out there will tell you that the general perception of disabled candidates and candidates with disabilities is the same. There is no need to be offended when nobody is trying to cause offence
I'm going to use this argument at work tomorrow - I know the contract we drafted, negotiated and signed said this exactly but the intention was the opposite.

The issue was not you saying disabled candidate or candidate with a disability the issue was with you calling applicant without a disability normal therefore indicating disabled applicants are not normal as the divider was disabled or normal.

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2022
Racism isn't just oppression though, no? Racism is simply prejudice or discrimination directed at someone based on their race, and if this happens to be white people, that's racism. I'm not a fan of double standards, so hate it when people say racism can't be committed against white people, or sexism against men because it's just not true.
Racism is not prejudice bc racism is systemic. Therefore you cannot be racist towards a white person bc they are not systematically oppressed. You can be prejudiced or discriminatory though.

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
Dec 18, 2020

One of the main ways that minorities have been advocating for equal opportunities is through activism and protests. To discredit all the work of our ancestors is truly abhorrent. Activists have organised marches, sit-ins, and other forms of nonviolent resistance to bring attention to the inequalities that minorities face and to demand change. This has been a powerful tool in raising awareness and creating momentum for change, and has been used in many successful social justice movements in the past.

Another way that minorities have been fighting for equality of opportunity is through the legal system. Many minority groups have sued employers, schools, and government agencies for discrimination, and have used the courts to challenge policies and practices that they believe are unfair or unjust.

Additionally, minorities have also been working to increase their representation in positions of power, such as in government, media, and business. This is seen as important because having individuals from diverse backgrounds in positions of power can help to ensure that policies and practices are fair and just for everyone.
Where have these protests been discredited? And please don't tell me that challenging your opinions on things that you say is discrediting. And just because there happen to be some people out there who are actually racist does not give you the right to blanket-judge an entire society.

Again, the existence of law suits does not mean that they definitely have merit. WHICH law suit in what case. And again, my point about using a tiny group of people to represent an entire society's values.

At this point you're just giving me examples of minorities advocating for whatever agenda they want, which they are completely entitled to do. But advocating and protesting does not mean there is discrimination. I don't get your point

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
Feb 1, 2022
Sorry if this is a stupid question! but with non-rolling application deadlines, are all invites to the next stage sent out at once? So do they review all applications before sending VIs/ACs or are there multiple batches of VIs/ACs sent out gradually? Thank you !

157gg

Oct 5, 2022

I’m currently eating hence have not replied but extremely well said!!!!

Reactions: hanz123

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
Dec 18, 2020
I'm going to use this argument at work tomorrow - I know the contract we drafted, negotiated and signed said this exactly but the intention was the opposite.

The issue was not you saying disabled candidate or candidate with a disability the issue was with you calling applicant without a disability normal therefore indicating disabled applicants are not normal as the divider was disabled or normal.
The difference is that we are having, or I assume we are having an argument in good faith here so I didn't think there was a need to be pedantic about the language. By 'normal' you obviously know given the context of the issue that I am referring to candidates without disabilities.

Reactions: Kubed and lawapplicant

cyberjaz1116

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2022
"Like me". You realize I'm a minority Asian too right? Again, what hurdles.
Maybe males like you are the reason why I came to the UK.
we are on about in the UK. In the year 2023. How in 2023 do minorities (women aren’t a minority but claim to be discriminated against so we will include) have to fight ‘tooth and nail’ to get the same opportunities as everyone else?
Yes, I sure hope so.
I think as can be seen there are many intersectionalities (race, gender, social class, etc.) that lead to different inclinations toward achieving fairness in the process. But this might not be the best platform for the debate. I do apologize for contributing to this tangential conversation. We can agree to disagree and still support and encourage each other in this application cycle.

Reactions: Ambs123

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022

Couldn't have said it any better!

Reactions: 157gg

LordDenning

Standard Member
Feb 9, 2023
Good luck to everyone who is expecting news tomorrow! The wait is awful, but let’s all manifest good news for ourselves and each other tomorrow 🙏🏾💗
But, my Lords, we MUST manifest more so for others from a non-standard background. To do otherwise would be perverse and wholly against the principles of which our justice system is built.

My Lords and Ladies, to that, I say "nay".

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Where have these protests been discredited? And please don't tell me that challenging your opinions on things that you say is discrediting. And just because there happen to be some people out there who are actually racist does not give you the right to blanket-judge an entire society.

Again, the existence of law suits does not mean that they definitely have merit. WHICH law suit in what case. And again, my point about using a tiny group of people to represent an entire society's values.

At this point you're just giving me examples of minorities advocating for whatever agenda they want, which they are completely entitled to do. But advocating and protesting does not mean there is discrimination. I don't get your point
I refuse to continue a discussion with someone so ill-informed, ignorant, and blatantly uneducated on the struggles of minority ethnics. Goodluck with whatever you got going on. Hope you get a TC and all of that stuff x

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
Dec 18, 2020
I refuse to continue a discussion with someone so ill-informed, ignorant, and blatantly uneducated on the struggles of minority ethnics. Goodluck with whatever you got going on. Hope you get a TC and all of that stuff x
I think it's quite telling that you resort to ad hominems when I've been perfectly willing to play this out with you. But yeah good luck and all that jazz I guess

Reactions: LordDenning
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.