TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawInTheNorth

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2022
Hey, probably not what you want to hear but I've got a WG invite for the direct TC after reaching AC stage for their VS last year. Did you take up the offer of a feedback call with grad rec following the AC? I found that to be very helpful as they told me it was mostly my commercial knowledge that let me down in the case study interview (unsurprising as it was my first ever AC lol) but that they liked my initial application so I didn't change that much this round.
Can I ask how you structured your 800 word piece? I applied a few years ago but got rejected and was thinking about applying again but wasn’t sure on structure! Thank you :)

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Hey, probably not what you want to hear but I've got a WG invite for the direct TC after reaching AC stage for their VS last year. Did you take up the offer of a feedback call with grad rec following the AC? I found that to be very helpful as they told me it was mostly my commercial knowledge that let me down in the case study interview (unsurprising as it was my first ever AC lol) but that they liked my initial application so I didn't change that much this round.
    Ah I see, congrats on getting progressed to next stage 😄 Yea I did, but tbh I didn’t really change my application this time round either since it did get me to AC stage last year, but I guess it worked against me because maybe their standards were different for TC 😅

• 🤝
    Reactions: Amelia23

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    I didn't hear back from Forsters post application so decided to take one for the team and email them and just received a response stating that they will be getting back to everyone by next week. Not sure what it means in terms of AC invites though haha
    Hope this is helpful - I was invited to an AC for the 22nd of Feb on the 9th of Feb. They said they are running ACs on the 20th, 22nd, 27th, and 1st of March (virtual).

Reactions: shanialaw

Amelia23

Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Can I ask how you structured your 800 word piece? I applied a few years ago but got rejected and was thinking about applying again but wasn’t sure on structure! Thank you :)
    Yeah of course, however can't guarantee what I wrote was the perfect structure or formula haha! I wrote the first few paragraphs on why I want to study law, which I then linked to Freshfields by discussing my interactions with the firm and my research, and how that aligned with my motivations.

I then spent the rest of the 800 words detailing a few examples of work experience and leadership positions at uni and how I have consequently developed skills that would help me in a legal career (e.g., working well under pressure, negotiation, time management, commercial awareness). I then signed off with a statement basically reaffirming my desire to work at Freshfields.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me x

• 🏆
    Reactions: CT

Amelia23

Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Yeah of course, however can't guarantee what I wrote was the perfect structure or formula haha! I wrote the first few paragraphs on why I want to study law, which I then linked to Freshfields by discussing my interactions with the firm and my research, and how that aligned with my motivations.

I then spent the rest of the 800 words detailing a few examples of work experience and leadership positions at uni and how I have consequently developed skills that would help me in a legal career (e.g., working well under pressure, negotiation, time management, commercial awareness). I then signed off with a statement basically reaffirming my desire to work at Freshfields.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me x
    I would also say that the general advice I was given at a Freshfields applications masterclasses is to follow the basic structure of "Why Freshfields, Why Law, Why You"

adamBS

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2021
    Ah I see, congrats on getting progressed to next stage 😄 Yea I did, but tbh I didn’t really change my application this time round either since it did get me to AC stage last year, but I guess it worked against me because maybe their standards were different for TC 😅
    If it helps, I got to AC stage for direct TC last year, was told to apply again with a similar application and have just been rejected at the first stage :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Denver

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    Hi all, I just completed an written exercise and I spotted a couple minor typos after submitting... Is this an instant PFO or should I still hold out hope?

Btw, this is for Dechert. They also require a VI as part of their first stage of screening post-app, which I thought I did decently well in.

Also, those who progressed to AC, would you mind letting me know how long it took for Dechert to get back post-VI and written exercise?

Thanks so much!

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    Hi all, I just completed an written exercise and I spotted a couple minor typos after submitting... Is this an instant PFO or should I still hold out hope?

Btw, this is for Dechert. They also require a VI as part of their first stage of screening post-app, which I thought I did decently well in.

Also, those who progressed to AC, would you mind letting me know how long it took for Dechert to get back post-VI and written exercise?

Thanks so much!
    I got an AC this cycle despite a glaring mistake in the first line of my "Why Law" answer so it is possible - but I think that was just luck frankly and I would expect a PFO, but its not quite an automatic rejection.

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    I got an AC this cycle despite a glaring mistake in the first line of my "Why Law" answer so it is possible - but I think that was just luck frankly and I would expect a PFO, but its not quite an automatic rejection.
    Oh I see, thanks for sharing! Do you mind if I ask how long it took for you to hear back post-written test?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

Thanks so much!
    Hi, it took about 2 weeks for me :)

Reactions: gggg and tc_hopeful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.