TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Oh my lord that is so little time!!

What if you’re not a student though? If I (hypothetically) make it through to AC I cant just tell my employer Im off next week - we need to give notice and have it approved…
    I completely understand! I wished for more time to prepare too, but given that was the only available date... If you receive an invitation, check the dates first. You might have a choice, but if not, don’t hesitate to email the graduate recruitment team immediately. They will certainly be willing to accommodate your request as they run some ACs on different days 100%

Reactions: spamelinazoid
    Aug 28, 2023
    Hey for cover letters do you guys put your address? I am applying for Slaughter and May and I feel like it's kinda pointless to put my address since they can already work that out from my education section and there's already a limited word count.
    White & Case let me through to the next stage last year without putting my address so I think I'm good?

sonnikasundar17

Standard Member
    Jan 14, 2023
    hi guys, i know this is so irrelevant to vac schemes but i would really appreciate any insights and tips for the commercial awareness competition, particularly the quarter finals. If anyone here has participated in previous years, do help a girlie out <3

sonnikasundar17

Standard Member
    Jan 14, 2023
    hi guys, i know this is so irrelevant to vac schemes but i would really appreciate any insights and tips for the commercial awareness competition, particularly the quarter finals. If anyone here has participated in previous years, do help a girlie out <3

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Hey for cover letters do you guys put your address? I am applying for Slaughter and May and I feel like it's kinda pointless to put my address since they can already work that out from my education section and there's already a limited word count.
    White & Case let me through to the next stage last year without putting my address so I think I'm good?
    you are good. you don't need it.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hey, I would recommend the podcast 'commerce meets law' (I listen to it on Spotify). It is hosted by a very impressive person called Shreya (Future Trainee at Skadden) who won the competition last year. The first episode is all about how to do well on the competition and I am sure some other episodes include other winners.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: Lottie. A

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You don’t have to include this in the Slaughters cover letter - we have seen plenty of people be shortlisted for interview without this formality.

KGNines

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 29, 2020
    For the White & Case application, is it an issue if the examples you provide to evidence your interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility and achievements are mentioned in your cover letter beforehand? What is the recommended amount of words for such a section and do firms tend to have a preference on formatting i.e. prose or bullet points? Any info would be much appreciated.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Is citing firm's legal 500 ranking for a practice area not as good as citing tiers in chambers UK? I dont think I've seen much application mention legal 500 as opposed to chambers.
    I do not necessarily think that it matters too much. In my opinion some firms do not even want you to mention facts like this as ''they know the rankings'', so I would not stress too much on it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is citing firm's legal 500 ranking for a practice area not as good as citing tiers in chambers UK? I dont think I've seen much application mention legal 500 as opposed to chambers.
    Either are fine to use - just try to explain what this means though to you and your motivations, as just citing a ranking tends be quite superficial. Think about either why this is important to you or the opportunities it will bring to you.

Reactions: NJS

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.