Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With some firms opening their applications for winter, spring and summer schemes in the coming weeks, we thought it was time to open a new thread for a new application cycle.

Please use this master thread to discuss anything related to vacation scheme applications for the 2023-2024 application cycle. This can include everything from application and interview queries to news from particular law firms.

If you want to check last year's thread you can find it here: TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Wishing everyone the best of luck for the upcoming cycle.

Thanks,

Jess

kmo20

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2023
@Jessica Booker Would you be able to offer any advice as to whether I should apply to the Linklaters winter vacation scheme or their open day (as open day students get fast-tracked to an assessment centre)? I am just starting my conversion course at BPP and have had 2 internships at smaller boutique law firms (no vacation schemes) and not sure which one I may be better suited to. Thank you for your help in advance :)

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
@Jessica Booker Would you be able to offer any advice as to whether I should apply to the Linklaters winter vacation scheme or their open day (as open day students get fast-tracked to an assessment centre)? I am just starting my conversion course at BPP and have had 2 internships at smaller boutique law firms (no vacation schemes) and not sure which one I may be better suited to. Thank you for your help in advance :)
It depends on your circumstances. If you have time for the winter VS but not for a spring or summer vs, then apply for the winter vs. But if it’s the opposite, apply for the open day. If you don’t get a place, you have another chance to apply for the spring or summer vs. Hope this helps!

Reactions: kmo20

kmo20

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2023
It depends on your circumstances. If you have time for the winter VS but not for a spring or summer vs, then apply for the winter vs. But if it’s the opposite, apply for the open day. If you don’t get a place, you have another chance to apply for the spring or summer vs. Hope this helps!
Thank you! :)

nma123

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2022
Travers Smith’s WVS application asks us to tick yes/no for the question “if a direct process for a training contract was a possibility would you prefer to take this route rather than attend a scheme?” - what are the advantages/disadvantages to answering ‘yes’ to this? Obviously I ultimately want the TC but as I haven’t done any vac schemes yet I don’t want to disadvantage my application, so I’m not sure what to say. I’m final year so I really am looking to secure a TC asap

babylawyer1942

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 30, 2023
    I'm actually wondering how open day students get "fast-tracked" because the application process for both vs and open day is the exact same?

Reactions: Seven

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Travers Smith’s WVS application asks us to tick yes/no for the question “if a direct process for a training contract was a possibility would you prefer to take this route rather than attend a scheme?” - what are the advantages/disadvantages to answering ‘yes’ to this? Obviously I ultimately want the TC but as I haven’t done any vac schemes yet I don’t want to disadvantage my application, so I’m not sure what to say. I’m final year so I really am looking to secure a TC asap
    I would just be honest in the response and say "yes" - I dont think its there as a trick question to gauge your interest in the firm or anything like that, so I would say it wouldnt disadvantage your app at all!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.