TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Slaughter & May has a winter workshop which is a 2 day scheme for grads and finalists, then after this, you have the chance to apply for a TC. Presumably, that's a TC app in the next cycle, as won't the Sept 26/27 TC app be closed by the time the winter workshop is completed?

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Slaughter & May has a winter workshop which is a 2 day scheme for grads and finalists, then after this, you have the chance to apply for a TC. Presumably, that's a TC app in the next cycle, as won't the Sept 26/27 TC app be closed by the time the winter workshop is completed?
    wait so r u directly interviewed for a TC or does it mean if the place is available, then you have a chance to interview after the winter workshop?

Lawandmore

Sep 26, 2021
    Hey! I just wanted to post a quick message reassuring those of you applying for vac schemes / TCs this cycle that you can certainly achieve your goal. I also wanted to offer some assistance. I achieved BCC at A-Level, attended a non-Russell group university and graduated with a 2:1. I applied for TCs in my first and third years and received zero offers. I then began the LPC LLM and have just secured a TC at Osborne Clarke. I went from zero offers to being able to pass multiple stages of assessment and secure a TC at a top firm by learning everything I possibly could about the process.

If anyone is looking to apply to OC or wants help with vac scheme / TC applications more generally, please just send me a message. It took me a lot of time, research and conversations to learn how to pass all of the stages successfully, so if you think I may be able to help just let me know.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    wait so r u directly interviewed for a TC or does it mean if the place is available, then you have a chance to interview after the winter workshop?
    Not sure, that is what I'm trying to work out.

If anyone on here knows the set up, please shed some light. Haven't applied or been in contact with anyone from S&M yet!

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    Not sure, that is what I'm trying to work out.

If anyone on here knows the set up, please shed some light. Haven't applied or been in contact with anyone from S&M yet!
    As far as I’m aware, you get the interview for the TC after the workshop (same app cycle). However, they said in a Q&A that the interviews happen far into the process, so they may have filled up most/all of their TC’s

If you want a proper shot this cycle, I would apply ASAP for the Direct TC - the winter workshop is for people who are unsure about a career in law (at least that’s the impression I got).

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    As far as I’m aware, you get the interview for the TC after the workshop (same app cycle). However, they said in a Q&A that the interviews happen far into the process, so they may have filled up most/all of their TC’s

If you want a proper shot this cycle, I would apply ASAP for the Direct TC - the winter workshop is for people who are unsure about a career in law (at least that’s the impression I got).
    Ideal, thanks for clarifying!

babylawyer1942

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 30, 2023
    Hi guys, I really want to train at a US firm but I g
    is there rlly a difference/ advantage applying to winter or summer vac scheme apart from ur possible availability during the scheme times
    There's definitely no difference or advantage. Some firms reserve winter schemes for finalists/graduates so just check to see which one you are eligible for. Aside from that, apply for whichever one you are available to do

Reactions: wz_13

annalaw

Standard Member
    Feb 16, 2022
    This may sound silly but how are you supposed to choose which firms to research? There are so many firms out there & I want to have the best shot at attaining a vacation scheme. I know what I'm looking for in a firm (international secondments, good pro bono etc) but how do I know which firms are the best for these things? Any help is greatly appreciated!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.