Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This may sound silly but how are you supposed to choose which firms to research? There are so many firms out there & I want to have the best shot at attaining a vacation scheme. I know what I'm looking for in a firm (international secondments, good pro bono etc) but how do I know which firms are the best for these things? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Look at rankings for these categories on websites like Legal Cheek and the Legal 500. This will give you an indication of firms who rank highly in these areas as a bit of a starting point:

• ℹ️
Reactions: I’m_Batman

Phoebe Turner

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 16, 2020
@Jessica Booker Would you be able to offer any advice as to whether I should apply to the Linklaters winter vacation scheme or their open day (as open day students get fast-tracked to an assessment centre)? I am just starting my conversion course at BPP and have had 2 internships at smaller boutique law firms (no vacation schemes) and not sure which one I may be better suited to. Thank you for your help in advance :)
I went through the open day route and got my TC and really recommend doing that!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Is it okay to mention deals and ranked teams from the US office or does it have to be a deal specific to what the UK team has done?
The issue here can be relevance. Why is the deal in the US relevant to your application as someone applying to a job in the U.K? Sometimes it is relevant (eg despite it being a US deal, U.K. lawyers worked on it from London or it showcases the firm’s ability to work with a client that also bring in billable work to London) but you need to get down to that level of detail - how does that deal relate to the work you want to do in London?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I need to answer this question" How do you rate your computer skills? Please give details.
Any tips? it is not a tricky question but my computer skills are very normal I would say.

Last edited:

Yusuf391

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 1, 2023
I emailed the graduate recruitment team last Friday with this same question, but they still have not gotten back to me.

The graduate recruitment team just got back to me and said "There is no requirement to submit a CV or cover letter. Instead, we will be evaluating candidates based solely on their responses to the application form questions".

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi guys,

I need to answer this question" How do you rate your computer skills? Please give details.
    Any tips? it is not a tricky question but my computer skills are very normal I would say.
    I would rate my computer skills as proficient. I am highly skilled in using Microsoft Office applications and have substantial experience using blah blah blah'

Reactions: S87

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.